Am I really a bad tank? Advice please.

#1cain8602Posted 7/6/2013 11:30:46 PM
Just had an almost disastrous run in Sastasha where our party got wiped 3 times.

I'm not sure what I did wrong. I kept threat on me. I used Riot Blade to keep my MP up and kept using Flash. I end up being the first to get wiped. We're my healer's spells not keeping up with the damage? Did I not have good enough gear?

We only succeeded the fourth time because instead of attacking at all, I decided to kite the boss instead. Was that where I went wrong?

Didn't really help that one of my party members was giving me grief, even though I said I was new. Although a guy who chose the name 'Punchyo Facein' should have raised a red flag that I was partying up with a 'srs bzns' type.

Anyone have some tanking advice for a noob like me?

PS: I have no idea how to use signs or how they help.
---
---"I once shot an elephant in my pajamas. How it got into my pajamas, I don't know." - Groucho Marx ---
#2servb0tsPosted 7/6/2013 11:34:50 PM
a good Tank with a bad healer is just as bad, y'all should work on communication
---
PSN Qornut. Own Nintendo & Sony systems. 08/18/11 R.I.P MML3
Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn Arcanist/Summoner/Scholar
#3Underdog2222Posted 7/6/2013 11:53:08 PM
Yeah if you manage to hold agro it would be the healer that is slacking. Of course this is dependent on the amount of enemies you pulled.

I doubt there was a huge number though and the last boss in Satasha can be done with all the adds spawning. So yup it would be the heals (or lack thereof) you were getting.

This is coming from someone who's healed and tanked Satasha ^^
---
PSN - Underdog2204
Pawn - Ranger (Marcus)
#4XxXKiIIerXBunniesXxXPosted 7/7/2013 12:00:18 AM
On that guy I remember I was spamming my heals and barely keeping up with the damage that the tank was receiving, near the end of the battle before we won. So it seems that you have to just(as a healer) make sure you keep curing and using aoe cure when others get hit. I think what helped was that the dps killed the adds(which had them get hit some, but that actually helped keep the tank healed) asap.

That's the only raid(or whatever they're called) that I've played so yeah near the end when boss is about to die, he gets a huge boost that had me spamming my cures as the tank slowly started to go into low HP lol. I was fun. This tank I think was warrior because he kept using spells. lol. I guess a Warrior with mage nukes to hold hate? not sure. I was very noobish when I did that.
---
You should read your Bible, sirs. You'll find all types of weird stuff in there. Like, did you know Jesus was a Jew? -Jay
#5XxXKiIIerXBunniesXxXPosted 7/7/2013 12:02:14 AM
XxXKiIIerXBunniesXxX posted...
On that guy I remember I was spamming my heals and barely keeping up with the damage that the tank was receiving, near the end of the battle before we won. So it seems that you have to just(as a healer) make sure you keep curing and using aoe cure when others get hit. I think what helped was that the dps killed the adds(which had them get hit some, but that actually helped keep the tank healed) asap.

That's the only raid(or whatever they're called) that I've played so yeah near the end when boss is about to die, he gets a huge boost that had me spamming my cures as the tank slowly started to go into low HP lol. I was fun. This tank I think was warrior because he kept using spells. lol. I guess a Warrior with mage nukes to hold hate? not sure. I was very noobish when I did that.

I used Job names sorry, obviously I don't remember how to correctly spell the 'class' names but you get the idea. ;) sorry about that.
---
You should read your Bible, sirs. You'll find all types of weird stuff in there. Like, did you know Jesus was a Jew? -Jay
#6cain8602(Topic Creator)Posted 7/7/2013 2:43:22 AM
I know one thing's for sure. This experience has taught me that I do not have the mental or emotional fortitude to be a full time tank. At least not yet.

Don't get me wrong. I know one of these days, my inadvertant need to play at least one character of every class and job will eventually lead me back to Gladiator and tanking roles. Maybe by then I'll have somewhat thicker skin and a cooler head.

I would still appreciate some advice for when I do eventually go back for a Paladin or Warrior playthrough, though.
---
---"I once shot an elephant in my pajamas. How it got into my pajamas, I don't know." - Groucho Marx ---
#7primusninePosted 7/7/2013 3:09:05 AM
I went through Sastasha for the first time yesterday, as my THM. The CNJ dropped out not far from the start, and I ended up healing the GLD and LNC all the way through, while nuking the mobs.

At no point did things get hairy. We smashed the mobs down, everyone was good, and I could only use Cure.

We only let two mobs come through on the end fight.

As a tank, you gotta keep up the ability that increases healing by 20%.
---
"i've had sex with a chick who was a psy major, so yeah i think i know what aspergers is" -LiquidFuze180
#8aDarkSaviorPosted 7/7/2013 3:54:32 AM
I'm a tank that worked my way to the level 29 dungeon (haunted mansion); if you're the first to die, you're doing a good job. If I'm in trouble, I'll use a potion and if I'm really low, I'll do whatever I can to survive.
#9Underdog2222Posted 7/7/2013 3:58:40 AM
aDarkSavior posted...
I'm a tank that worked my way to the level 29 dungeon (haunted mansion); if you're the first to die, you're doing a good job. If I'm in trouble, I'll use a potion and if I'm really low, I'll do whatever I can to survive.

ahh such is the life of a tank ^^

Whilst the archer is stood in the back dancing........ lol
---
PSN - Underdog2204
Pawn - Ranger (Marcus)
#10TiegerJDPosted 7/7/2013 4:13:41 AM
If it took 4 attempts to finally clear the last Boss then your entire party needs to pay attention to mechanics.

If your DD couldn't kill all the adds before they killed the Tank.
You should have stopped them spawning.

If your Healer couldn't keep up with all the extra damage from the adds.
You should have stopped them spawning.

Ultimately, you should have stopped them spawning.
It is doable whilst letting all the extra adds spawn, but running with randoms....

You get a message mentioning the water. Look around the room at the 4 grates in the floor. Have a DD run to the one with bubbles coming out of it. Interact with it quick enough and you can stop all the extra enemies spawning.
As the fight progresses you will get more grates active per time. So send whoever is closest to deactivate.

It's understandable that with a party of new people you might miss this the first maybe second time. But if you have party members screaming at each other, over who is to blame, then it's clear that no one was paying attention.
---
Vagrant Story
Level 16 Grand Master Breaker : Sweeper Of The Dark