Lancer stat attocation

#1MHNetioPosted 7/8/2013 5:38:54 PM
How are people building lancers?

Given the dps role, I'm assuming that I should put everything into Str, relying on the evade skill to mitigate damage if I gain too much aggro. As TP is set at 1k and doesn't seem to budge, I'm also assuming Piety is useless, as are all the other stats.

Dex and Mnd come to mind for defensive stats, but I question the usefulness of these as compared to dishing out as much damage as possible.

Am I on the right track here?
#2HoIlywoodPosted 7/8/2013 5:48:57 PM
Unlike non MMOs I don't see much of a reason for a balance of defense and offense, seeing as you're meant to party with others, so yeah I'd dump it all into strength
---
FLIP THE SWITCH!
http://i.qkme.me/3uwz1t.jpg
#3MashiyyatPosted 7/8/2013 6:37:41 PM
Thats what I've been doing so far, but I read somewhere that there will be a stat cap where your total STR can't go beyond a certain limit with your Natural stats and Equips combined. Does anyone know if thats true? I'd hate to waste points you know. Even if Str is most important if I dump 10 extra points in there that won't ultimately count I'd rather put it in SOMETHING atleast. Anyone know anything about that? Did I just hear malarkey or is that true?
#4DrachenBarenPosted 7/8/2013 6:40:21 PM
I'm sure it has a cap or at the least a diminishing returns system.

I was honestly planning to hold out on distributing points to anything until I either found verifiable information or I hit level cap and could distribute it incrementally and try to find where I wasn't noticing any improvement.

I do hope they provide a re-spec option for those.
---
Formerly DWX131415. Updated Username with merger.
#5KojiSakujinPosted 7/8/2013 6:56:35 PM
I've basically been alternating between Str and Vit. I'll put three points into Str, then put one into Vit, rinse and repeat. While I believe everyone has a role in the party, I am certainly glad I put some points into Vit. If I didn't, the times where I did get attacked by a boss multiple times would have killed me otherwise, lol.
---
Currently playing: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR (Beta) (PS3)
PSN: TetsuyaHikari / Youtube: GamingHeroTetsuya
#6DemonsSoulsPosted 7/8/2013 7:00:41 PM
Mashiyyat posted...
Thats what I've been doing so far, but I read somewhere that there will be a stat cap where your total STR can't go beyond a certain limit with your Natural stats and Equips combined. Does anyone know if thats true? I'd hate to waste points you know. Even if Str is most important if I dump 10 extra points in there that won't ultimately count I'd rather put it in SOMETHING atleast. Anyone know anything about that? Did I just hear malarkey or is that true?

thats pretty stupid, i was going pure str... all my equipment i picked was what offered the highest str increase, all my points i get go into str.. ah, if they cap it then it makes a pure build useless
---
PSN - KittyKatt13
#7MHNetio(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2013 7:02:17 PM
Right, thanks for the input guys. So given that there could be a cap on the stats, would the Dex and Mnd stats become more valuable to spec in for the later levels? Or would a 3:1 Str:Vit build be best at least until lv 50?

One of the more unfortunate things about this beta is this stat stuff. If we don't know the cap, we won't be able to test the limits of it.

Now having said all that, does Int affect the magic damage portion of the lancer weapons?
#8_shibito_Posted 7/8/2013 8:38:40 PM
str and pie are most important, pie for things like DoT and added effects like slow
#9SemibatmanPosted 7/8/2013 9:20:20 PM
I would go all str
#10RPGfreekPosted 7/8/2013 9:22:45 PM
Dex does nothing for a Melee?