One Time Password??

#21TiaelPosted 7/10/2013 12:22:05 PM
dhampire1 posted...
Syggys posted...
dhampire1 posted...
Syggys posted...
Its an extra level of security, so even if a hacker/phisher manages to get ahold of your password, they still can't log in to your account without the one-time pw.

Why couldn't they log in if they have your password?

Because if you have the authenticator (keychain) synched to your account, you need that code ASWELL as your password to log in.

Bear in mind that you don't need the keychain. There are apps that do the same thing.

Sorry I'm such an idiot about this, I never heard of anything like this, so you basically have to have 2 passwords at all time, one of which will be changing every single time it's used?

It's a six digit number, so not too hard to have to type it in.
---
Now in HD: Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality.
Dragon Quest>Ys=SMT=Tales>Final Fantasy, but I enjoy all five.
#22KingDiavoloPosted 7/10/2013 12:22:07 PM
LaKost117 posted...
dhampire1 posted...
Do online games like this get hacked often?

They can. Think of putting thousands of hours, get those rare items, awesome drops, and wake up to find some jerk has taken it all. Its kind of like those "type the word you see" crap on websites.

Whoa, scary. Makes me wonder if I should bother now.
#23TiaelPosted 7/10/2013 12:24:39 PM
KingDiavolo posted...
LaKost117 posted...
dhampire1 posted...

They can. Think of putting thousands of hours, get those rare items, awesome drops, and wake up to find some jerk has taken it all. Its kind of like those "type the word you see" crap on websites.

Whoa, scary. Makes me wonder if I should bother now.

I know it's happened with FFXI (gil farmers were always a blast too..), so even with the app for your ios devices, Android, or if you have a security token (from the CE, or from FFXI), it doesn't hurt to use it just in case.
Granted, PS3 players should be less susceptible to it unless you give your account information out (which is a nono), but Sony did get hacked, so SE could as well.
---
Now in HD: Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality.
Dragon Quest>Ys=SMT=Tales>Final Fantasy, but I enjoy all five.
#24dhampire1(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2013 12:25:05 PM
That really all seems so crazy to me, honestly just logging into the beta everytime I'm getting annoyed always having to put in my password instead of it saving it for me.

This all seems like something from the Matrix, timed passowrds and such to break into the worlds mainframes.
#25LaKost117Posted 7/10/2013 12:37:38 PM
dhampire1 posted...
That really all seems so crazy to me, honestly just logging into the beta everytime I'm getting annoyed always having to put in my password instead of it saving it for me.

This all seems like something from the Matrix, timed passowrds and such to break into the worlds mainframes.

Welcome to the Matrix Hunter D
#26JDuBz_IVPosted 7/10/2013 4:44:40 PM
Using the one time password app on my iPhone is a breeze, and I love the added sense of security. Typing in an additional 6 numbers isn't too big of a deal...
---
Posted using my PlayStationVita
PSN ID : LiTezOuT-IV
#27Devil1337JinPosted 7/10/2013 4:56:41 PM
dhampire1 posted...

thisx20..... XI... had the key, but it still saved your login...
#28chang_1910Posted 7/11/2013 7:53:47 PM
oh man, now im worry.. im a noobie so i doubt i ll have anything worth hacking, but u guys advice pll to get this?
im a ps3 user and by the thread it seems less likely, but should i?

and how does it wirk? u pay 10us for the token and it works forever or u have to pay 10us every so often?
#29shaolinotterPosted 7/11/2013 8:36:08 PM
dhampire1 posted...

yes, but it's more often just stupid people giving out their info to friends than actual hacking.
---
PSN: MyBodyIsInfested
#30RPGfreekPosted 7/11/2013 8:57:04 PM
Stop panicking.

If you want to make it MUCH HARDER for your account to be hacked, this token will allow you to have a second password that changes every time. The only way to figure it out is supposed to be with the keychain or iOS/Android app.

If you don't want that, don't add it to your account, but don't cry when you log in one day and everything is stolen and you have to wait for the customer support to help you out. It doesn't happen to everyone but it does happen a lot. There is real money to be made here and there are bad people who will do anything, including steal fake, digital items and money from you.

The best solution would be for people to stop freakin' buying currency and items with real money from third party sites. That's what makes accounts worth hacking. Not that some people don't do it just for the lulz. Some people really have nothing to do but ruin other peoples' lives.