Can I play with keyboard & mouse?

#1AshAcrimoniousPosted 7/21/2013 2:01:04 PM
Can I use a keyboard and mouse instead of a controller on PS3? I find it kind of awkward to play a game like this with a controller and would just be much simpler with keyboard & mouse. If so, what are some good cheap peripherals that are compatible with PS3?
---
http://www.youtube.com/otakuchrash
#2MistwoodNosPosted 7/21/2013 2:14:25 PM
it's possible ^ ^ to use a keyboard and a mouse. I know that from others, and having seen the controls option "keyboard settings" in game while playing it on my ps3. I prefer playing with my controller though, and only tend to use my wireless ps3 keyboard for chatting. look around you can use any keyboard and mouse.
#3AshAcrimonious(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2013 2:16:13 PM
MistwoodNos posted...
it's possible ^ ^ to use a keyboard and a mouse. I know that from others, and having seen the controls option "keyboard settings" in game while playing it on my ps3. I prefer playing with my controller though, and only tend to use my wireless ps3 keyboard for chatting. look around you can use any keyboard and mouse.

Awesome :D! I am wondering though will playing on PS3 with kb+m actually be the same as on PC? Or will it be slightly different since it's the console version, in term of controls and stuff? Also I didn't get to play the beta much but can you customise the UI? I found there to be way too much stuff on the screen and the UI is kind of ugly.
---
http://www.youtube.com/otakuchrash
#4XCrimsonSamuraiPosted 7/21/2013 2:18:30 PM(edited)
I played FFXI for many years with nothing but the keyboard, but this game feels great with the PS3 controller. Everything is very easy to use and I haven't had any problems with it.

I have a very small gripe with how cumbersome it is to have to put down the controller every time I want to type something, however, but everything is very fluid otherwise. You can target easily, use the hotbar with no issues, and if you want to walk you don't have to push any key to toggle walk/run, you just do it. Also like how /sit is mapped to your L3 button.

If you really want to use the KB+Mouse combo though, I'm not sure how well it will work. Both devices work in the game, but you have to map all the binds so that they're bearable to use, and I'm not even sure if you can swap the hotbar layout to the PC version or not. When I tried to use the KB in the Beta, I couldn't use the hotbar without the controller or selecting abilities with the mouse.
---
PSN and NNID: CrimsonSamuraiX
#5MistwoodNosPosted 7/21/2013 2:21:22 PM
AshAcrimonious posted...
MistwoodNos posted...

Awesome :D! I am wondering though will playing on PS3 with kb+m actually be the same as on PC? Or will it be slightly different since it's the console version, in term of controls and stuff? Also I didn't get to play the beta much but can you customise the UI? I found there to be way too much stuff on the screen and the UI is kind of ugly.

Yeah it's adjustable, though I haven't really touched it that much since I had only 24 hours game time XD. You can move around game elements, resize them (fonts 2) and more I think. No idea about comparison as I haven't played the pc version XD
#6gtaking5Posted 7/21/2013 7:33:42 PM
KB/M controls are 100% customizable. Like they are on 99% of all PC games

If you really want to use the KB+Mouse combo though, I'm not sure how well it will work. Both devices work in the game, but you have to map all the binds so that they're bearable to use, and I'm not even sure if you can swap the hotbar layout to the PC version or not. When I tried to use the KB in the Beta, I couldn't use the hotbar without the controller or selecting abilities with the mouse.

Binds are automatically set. To use the hot bar without the controller you have to click the little lock under it. Every single time you log in(it is a beta after all). It'll probably be fixed in Phase 4. If not release, as the KB/M controls were were not supposed to be in Phase 3, as outlined by the beta forums.

The hot bar is longer than 10 though, so you only have access to 1-0. That's the entire left side, and the first 2 on the right side. The "numbers to hot bar spot" are as follows.

1= Left Hot Bar, Left slot
2= Left Hot Bar, Up Slot
3=Left Hot Bar, Right Slot
4=Left Hot Bar, Down Slot
5-8, the same thing, only the Face Button section instead of D-Pad section
9=Right Hot Bar, Left Slot D-Pad section
0= Right Hot Bar, Up Slot D-Pad section

I'm 90% sure that's right.

As for changing to the PC hot bar. Probably. Since KB/M is natively supported.
---
I'll swing by and sign the contracts alright, just ignore the bodies - Trevor Phillips