Question about dots.

#1stromvancouverPosted 8/11/2013 1:50:06 PM
Can I use different levels of dot spells(bio, bio ll, thunder, thunder ll) simultaneously, or will the last spell cast overwrite the previous dot?
#2Nero311Posted 8/11/2013 1:54:49 PM
Logically i would want to say no because that would not make sense at all, but i never got a class high enough to cast different level dot spells...
---
PSN: Nero1209
#3servb0tsPosted 8/11/2013 2:02:10 PM
Dots can stack an yes cast Bio, Thunder, Bio II & Miasma same target lol.
---
PSN Qornut. Own Nintendo & Sony systems. 08/18/11 R.I.P MML3
Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn Arcanist/Summoner/Scholar
#4stromvancouver(Topic Creator)Posted 8/11/2013 2:02:56 PM
Nero311 posted...
Logically i would want to say no because that would not make sense at all, but i never got a class high enough to cast different level dot spells...

C'mon, man, not only do you admit not knowing what you are talking about, but it's not a yes or no question.
#5stromvancouver(Topic Creator)Posted 8/11/2013 2:04:04 PM
servb0ts posted...

Great, thanks. What about thunder and thunder ll? Do you know?
#6darkcloudrepeatPosted 8/11/2013 2:13:20 PM
stromvancouver posted...
servb0ts posted...

The 3 Thunder spells have the following additional effect:
"Additional Effect: 5% chance after each tick that next Thunder, Thunder II, or Thunder III will add its full damage over time amount to its initial damage, have no cast time and cost no MP."

The DoT the 3 Thunder spells inflict do not stack.
Thunder has a 12 second duration,
Thunder 2 has a 15 second duration and Thunder 3 has an 18 second duration.
Potency of 40 for this DoT effect is the same across all levels of Thunder but the initial damage is 30, 50 then 60.
---
3DS FC: 4940 - 5623 - 3811
#7meneeococoaPosted 8/11/2013 10:06:59 PM
darkcloudrepeat posted...
stromvancouver posted...
servb0ts posted...

The 3 Thunder spells have the following additional effect:
"Additional Effect: 5% chance after each tick that next Thunder, Thunder II, or Thunder III will add its full damage over time amount to its initial damage, have no cast time and cost no MP."

The DoT the 3 Thunder spells inflict do not stack.
Thunder has a 12 second duration,
Thunder 2 has a 15 second duration and Thunder 3 has an 18 second duration.
Potency of 40 for this DoT effect is the same across all levels of Thunder but the initial damage is 30, 50 then 60.

Are you certain they do not stack?

I played extensively as a THM and could swear that Thunder and Thunder II showed up at the same time (stacked). This was supposed to be the basis for the importance of Thudercloud: though a tick of Thunder does little, with Thundercloud it gives you a free Thunder III for massive thunder damage.

I could be wrong, though.
#8stromvancouver(Topic Creator)Posted 8/11/2013 11:46:23 PM
Some conflicting answers here. I'll try the pc board. I probably should have asked there first.
#9stromvancouver(Topic Creator)Posted 8/11/2013 11:52:17 PM
It turns that thunders does stack the same way bio does. thanks everyone.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/678050-final-fantasy-xiv-online-a-realm-reborn/66701779
#10meneeococoaPosted 8/12/2013 2:15:59 AM
stromvancouver posted...
It turns that thunders does stack the same way bio does. thanks everyone.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/678050-final-fantasy-xiv-online-a-realm-reborn/66701779

Good stuff, I knew I wasn't going crazy yet (though the withdraw from the beta has me juuuust about there).

My understanding is that when you get to the higher levels and are outputting massive damage, a quick shot of Thunder and Thunder II are really just there to get Thundercloud to proc for a major Thunder III hit... if I'm doing this correctly, 60 initial damage + (40 x 18) = 780 potency, all without cost and instacast! Hell, even Thunder II does 650 potency.

That's twice the power of Flare... sans the AoE.