Does hardcopy require disc to play? Do we know yet?

#1auronrenouillePosted 8/13/2013 3:45:01 PM
I am very torn about whether or not to get the PSN version, as I really don't want to have to switch discs every time I want to login. Is there any real, meaningful news about whether or not the hardcopy PS3 edition will require the disc to be in the drive to play?

Thanks!
---
- Time is a river, and history repeats.
#2Grieving LeoPosted 8/13/2013 3:47:34 PM
i had the understanding that we didnt need the disc in order to play, cuz of the one time instal. but i dont have the wherewithall to back that up.

its gonna be the same as ffxi
---
Psn - - gthcdos
#3Kazadora2099Posted 8/13/2013 3:49:58 PM
Considering the game is an MMO it would not require the disc to play. DCUO and Defiance do not require the disc to play, just to perform the install. Due to the game always changing, patches, expansions it's extremely unlikely it will be disc based. It's such a massive game they can't store the entire every changing contents on a disc and you just play off of that. Plus you'd end up replacing your disc X amount of times per year due to it just going out.
#4servb0tsPosted 8/13/2013 4:11:25 PM
On ps2 FFXI came with 20GB Hard drive just installed it one time saves no more disc required. I imagine same thing
---
PSN Qornut. Own Nintendo & Sony systems. 08/18/11 R.I.P MML3
Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn Arcanist/Summoner/Scholar
#5Arlundar2Posted 8/13/2013 5:28:35 PM
if it wasnt for the registration code i would probably not even the dvd case lol :)
#6Ein_SophPosted 8/13/2013 5:55:59 PM
Gonna take advantage of this and ask. Do you guys know which of the two "stresses" the PS3 the most? Playing on the disk or having a downloaded/installed software on the system?
---
Bougyo no tame no bougyo nashi. "There is no defense for defense's sake." - Kendo saying.
PSN: Spearman-Rho
#7LordofthereefPosted 8/13/2013 6:02:07 PM
Ein_Soph posted...
Gonna take advantage of this and ask. Do you guys know which of the two "stresses" the PS3 the most? Playing on the disk or having a downloaded/installed software on the system?

I would guess the disc. More movie parts. At the end of the day though, you are putting stress on different parts. With a disc, it's the BR drive. With an install, it's the hard disk. Pick your poison. By definition, a BR disk will "wear out" the BR drive faster. An install will "wear out" the HDD faster.
---
3DS FC: 3883-5633-4176
Patiently waiting for Pokemon X & Y!
#8LordofthereefPosted 8/13/2013 6:02:45 PM
Lordofthereef posted...
Ein_Soph posted...

I would guess the disc. More movie parts. At the end of the day though, you are putting stress on different parts. With a disc, it's the BR drive. With an install, it's the hard disk. Pick your poison. By definition, a BR disk will "wear out" the BR drive faster. An install will "wear out" the HDD faster.

And to add to that (I can;t edit, account is too new), the cheapest thing to replace would be the hard disk, I would think. Assuming one would go bad.
---
3DS FC: 3883-5633-4176
Patiently waiting for Pokemon X & Y!
#9MarioAndrettiPosted 8/13/2013 6:11:06 PM
this game won't play from the disc (even if it is required to be in the drive).. so, it will only affect you laser during the install process.

for this game, disc version or digital download version will be equal in terms of stressing your system. both versions will run/play from the hard drive.
---
XBL Mario HTTR
PSN CRIP_F0R_LIFE
#10auronrenouille(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2013 7:54:28 PM
Cool, thanks for all of the input. I ordered the CE from Amazon but I definitely want to be able to have another game in my drive at the same time, so that I can come and go from FFXIV as I please without changing discs.

Having said that, I didn't really feel like $20 for the in-game items is enough value - it's the additional stuff that is doing it for me (I like collecting those kinds of items, especially the art book/cards and soundtrack; some of the music in the game is just lovely, particularly some of the nighttime themes). So... I'll stick with the hardcopy CE unless I learn something different.

I really hope that early access gives us a couple days grace period during/after Aug. 27 - we live near an Amazon warehouse so we usually get things very quickly and I don't tend to pay for faster shipping, but occasionally video game releases are slow. Tales of Xillia came day of release with super saver shipping, so... there is hope! :)
---
- Time is a river, and history repeats.