FFXIV: ARR - Same mistakes as before?

#1A_FITZPosted 8/13/2013 11:23:49 PM
From what i hear from old school FFXI players that have played the FFXIV ARR beta, its the same spams spam spam system like the first FFXIV, someone said "the WoW cancer has spread again to the new re-rolled FFXIV."

I actually had hopes in getting it this month. Do we need a FFXIV 2.0? Or maybe not?

I have tried WoW, i actually like it. As someone who really loved FFXI Online, and actually came back and played again for a while getting my main to 99 in FFXI...

Please tell me the Pros about this game from someone who loved FFXI so much and the similarities

Also - Please tell me the Cons as well.

-A_FITZ
#2tigg06Posted 8/13/2013 11:37:07 PM
I played XI for 10 years and loved it, play XIV 1.0 and found it to be ok, but boring. Having played ARR Phase 3 it's a completely different game to me. I also played WoW and I didnt like it much.. to me what made XI so great was the community.

that being said, the battle system is really similar to WoW by means of the Hot Bar. You don't have to go through all the menus like in XI or create macros for every little thing which in itself is good.

Story wise, ARR seems to have a deeper story than XI did, during Phase 3 I got really into it, and hated I had to stop when I reached the end of the beta content, I wanted more. The areas are lush and can be breathe taking and jobs are pretty much straight forward.

Its nice not having to find a mog to change jobs, you do so now just by changing weapons (once you've unlocked them of course), and you can save gear sets so you can change jobs and all gear with a couple clicks

As far as con, I guess I can be quite biased, being I love XI so much and its def a different style MMO, but I suppose my only complaint is the battles just seems to be an ability spamfest. Perhaps its because I didn't really get into a set strategy for battles, just did what works.

All in all I'm very pleased with ARR coming from XI and having tried many MMOs since XI. It has that FF feel to it, and being a XI veteran you'll see some similarities with the cities of XIV to those of XI. Its no copy and paste job, just you can easily tell which city would be the ARR San'doria, Windurst and Bastok lol.

I would say just in my opinion, if you enjoyed XI and WoW then you'll be able to get into ARR quickly
---
psn - tiggman ninid - christophers xboxlive - tigg06
#3Cain-HighwindPosted 8/13/2013 11:42:05 PM
It's the same for me, i'am a XI vétéran, and cant Wait to try beta phase 4 to Know if i'am going to buy them.
#4Alky88Posted 8/13/2013 11:44:26 PM
Rule #1: Don't listen to "old-school" FFXI players when it comes to ARR.
There's an Open Beta coming up this week, give it a try and see for yourself.
---
"Official Jill Valentine of the MvC3 boards!"
#5tigg06Posted 8/13/2013 11:50:09 PM
Alky88 posted...

Personally my rule #1 is take peoples opinion on games with a grain of salt lol

Problem with your rule is the person asking about the game is actually an "old school" FFXI player themself lol

But yes I agree, get into open beta and find out if they like the game, every person's opinion will vary due to personal preferences
---
psn - tiggman ninid - christophers xboxlive - tigg06
#6Alky88Posted 8/14/2013 2:29:39 AM
tigg06 posted...
Alky88 posted...

Personally my rule #1 is take peoples opinion on games with a grain of salt lol

Problem with your rule is the person asking about the game is actually an "old school" FFXI player themself lol

But yes I agree, get into open beta and find out if they like the game, every person's opinion will vary due to personal preferences

I've played XI for like 8 years and I like ARR. However there's a portion of XI players trashing this game simply because it's not a carbon copy of XI but it has a lot of elements from other MMOs released in the past 11 years.
That's why I typed "old-school".
Don't listen to these people and try the game, that's the only advice that should be given at this point.
---
"Official Jill Valentine of the MvC3 boards!"
#7SyggysPosted 8/14/2013 2:50:47 AM
Its not "spam spam spam", but you are using a GCD ability eveyr 2.5s, aswell as other abilities not on the GCD, so maybe that seems "fast" to some people (but in reality its quite slow compared to other MMOs, just not "grab a sandwich and watch a movie while you wait for your tp bar to fill" slow.).

Or maybe people are just confused because you only get 1 or 2 abilties for the first few levels, and (stupidly) assumed that was the entire game.
---
UK/EU
PSN: SygBoss
#8ssj4damonPosted 8/14/2013 3:22:18 AM
Played 11 for 10 years and I hated FFXIV 1.0 but I love ARR and I haven't been excited for a game in years, so if I was you I would try it myself before I listen to anyone else (heck for all you know they might of not played it people do lie at times...).
#9servb0tsPosted 8/14/2013 4:19:53 AM
Play FFXI 5+years since Day 1 PS2, hated grinding an ghetto economy, but Loved FFXI Music & Story.

Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn more easier, quicker battles excellent Story & Music. I don't have time yelling LFP 20 mins Thank You Duty Finder. FFXIV just more convenient to me, as my time is limited.
---
PSN Qornut. Own Nintendo & Sony systems. 08/18/11 R.I.P MML3
Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn Arcanist/Summoner/Scholar
#10maxxxximumPosted 8/14/2013 5:06:22 AM
When I think of "old school" FFXI fans, I can't help but think of the people who won't stop whining about how Abysea ruined the game. In my opinion, it made the game playable. I've never played WoW, but from what I can see, it's really easy to get into gameplay wise, so if ARR is more like that I'm all for it.
---
Stop your ignorance of Final Fantasy XI's awesome story. See it here.
http://ffxicutscenes.blogspot.com/