Let's post tips on how to play your class in a group

#1great_darmaniPosted 8/20/2013 1:02:22 AM
I see a lot of passive-agressive comments about how people aren't playing their classes properly without explaining why it's bad or what they should be doing instead. I myself am playing an Archer but I feel slightly intimidated to party up because I don't think I fully understand the tank/dps/cc/healer dynamics as much as an MMO veteran would, and I can't be the only one.

I think it would be great if we could post tips for new players in this topic on how to fully utilize any job/class in a group setting so everyone in the party gets the maximum benefits. I understand everyone plays differently so we might have some clashing opinions, but let's please keep the criticism constructive and not let it devolve into a flame-fest.
---
"I need to do something about these games... At least I look good." - Joel
#2OmniArkPosted 8/20/2013 1:12:39 AM(edited)
For THM (Thaumaturge): If the MP is low (and enough to use a couple of spells) use Fire then Transpose then Blizzard twice or more and it suddenly refills MP ._.

And always start with Thunder and recast if the effect is over
---
Sig Dood!
#3Gabriel1711Posted 8/20/2013 1:09:17 AM
Archer - Use every move possible as quickly as possible. You're a dps, dps.
---
JUS FC: 4295 8186 6410
#4shem33Posted 8/20/2013 1:10:31 AM
Can we vice versa as well? Instead of posting tips, may I ask for one? If so......

I'm playing a gladiator til I'm high enough to unlock a paladin. Where should I dump my points on? 3:1 VIT:STR, 2:1 VIT:STR?

If not, then ignore this post
---
your post must be pregnant... because its missing its periods.--bakedpotato86
#5TheGaijinPosted 8/20/2013 1:12:25 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6TheGaijinPosted 8/20/2013 1:13:35 AM
TheGaijin posted...
The 3 jobs I play: BLM/WHM/ACN

BLM - DPS
Role: Make as much damage as possible without tanking hate off tank
usual rotation: Fire III > Fire x4-5 > Blizzard III > Thunder 2 > Fire III Rince and repeat
If you like dots you can use Aero as well
at lower level you use transpose to go from one astral to the other
main DPS come frome fire but you should NEVER run out of MP, use astral ice at right timing

WHM - HLR
Role: Heal, duh
advice: use the lowest cure for MP management, medica when group heal and bigger cure when problem. Team must have protect at all time. Focus on tank, heal the rest when tank is ok (medica is your friend)

ACN - DD + HLR support
Role: Put as much debuff as possible, deal damage and if needed support healer
my usual rotation: Bio > Aero > Miasma (>virus if boss) > ruin spam
always have aetherflow on. if you use energy drain, put aetherflow right after
prefer a caster carby when their is a tank in your group. use tank carby if the tank dies to protect the remaining of your team. Heal you carby as WHM cannot heal it. Also support WHM if necessary

---
Final Fantasy XIV ARR: Masamune - Legacy Server
#7XCrimsonSamuraiPosted 8/20/2013 1:19:06 AM
shem33 posted...
Can we vice versa as well? Instead of posting tips, may I ask for one? If so......

I'm playing a gladiator til I'm high enough to unlock a paladin. Where should I dump my points on? 3:1 VIT:STR, 2:1 VIT:STR?

Go pure VIT.

Splitting your stats down the middle would spread them too thin and make them less valuable, since you get something like 30 points by the time you're 50.

30 STR won't boost your damage THAT much and all it really translates to for a tank is increased enmity, which shouldn't be a problem anyway, and it won't negate your damage output so significantly that you'll get slower kill times or anything.

I think at 50 you get something like 400 extra HP with all that VIT, and your maximum HP also modifies certain skills, like CNJ's Stoneskin or SCH's Lustrate. More HP is just good anyway, and that goes without saying.

STR does modify your blocking/parrying mitigation, but according to some testing that was done, you need a LOT of STR to reach the next mitigation threshold, and each threshold is only like 1% mitigation.
---
PSN and NNID: CrimsonSamuraiX
#8Mikes_Posted 8/20/2013 1:20:28 AM
shem33 posted...

Hard to tell you the definitive answer to that yet since not enough testing has been done, and a lot of debate over it. DEX is even thrown in there as a possibility with the block rate. There will be items to reset your stats so I would just go with what you feel would be best for the time being. If anyone tells you one is better no matter what, they don't really know, it's too early.
#9shem33Posted 8/20/2013 1:25:51 AM
1% mitigation?! That is an extremely low return for such an investment. But more on the topic, would people prefer a warrior tank or a paladin?
---
your post must be pregnant... because its missing its periods.--bakedpotato86
#10FENR1R13Posted 8/20/2013 1:33:53 AM
High dmg dps should make sure to not go nuke crazy before the tank can generate some hate.
Non-tank should not engage until after the tank. Leroy jenkining is not cool and can ruin a pt.
Dps should destory any squishy adds asap to help lessen a bit of stress on the tank.
Tank please please please hold to that hate. And if you have a cure spell use it too.
Healers don't waste mp if the tank only lost like 3% of their hp when you can cure for more. Wait it out like 10% and be fast on the draw.
Healers should not be casting dps spells you mp are for cures.
A dps should be assign as a secondary tank in cased a adds aggro the healer. Protect the healer until the tank regain control of the targets.
Ow and move away from red target areas..

I learned these while I was playing dcuo.. they are basic but i always trust the basics.
---
"I gotta get a pump.."
PSN: chibi_BATMAN