best dps betwen archer and lancer

#1starkkc1Posted 8/20/2013 7:29:10 PM
Anyone have any tips on how to maximize damage with ether job.i know we dident get a lot of time with the game but someone had to come up with a good way to use skills properly.the way i play it feels as if im just spamming one attack after the other.is ther a scertan combo i can be using to do mor damage or something .any tips would help as it is it feels like a spamfest if your not playing as a healer or a tank
#2XCrimsonSamuraiPosted 8/20/2013 7:44:54 PM
Hopefully you weren't using one attack with them, since clearly when you use one attack on Lancer, another (Vorpal Thrust) lights up, letting you know that you can combo with it.

To maximize damage with Lancer I equipped Straight Shot from Archer and started battles with that, then used Venom Bite (Also from Archer), and in dungeons or FATEs I would position to the enemy's flank and use Heavy Thrust to gain the 10% damage bonus, then proceed with your True Thrust > Vorpal Thrust combo.

As you level up there becomes other abilities and skills you can use so it doesn't feel so repetitive.

As for Archer, same thing generally, start with Straight Shot, DoTs, use Heavy Shot until your Straight Shot lights up, then use that for an automatic critical. You can use Shadowbind for a bit of crowd control if you're in a group, or if you're solo, it helps prevent you from taking damage.
---
PSN and NNID: CrimsonSamuraiX
#3zeik56Posted 8/20/2013 7:56:11 PM(edited)
Your rotation will change depending on how far in the game you are, but early on with the Lancer you'll want to start with Heavy Thrust (if possible) and then basically just rotate True Thrust and Vorpal Thrust until the attack buff runs out. (Remember you have to use Heavy Thrust from the side to get the buff.) You can mix in Feint for the slow debuff if necessary.

What other skills you mix in will depend on what cross class skills you include, but Straight Shot from the Archer is pretty useful for the critical buff and you can get it easily with the Lancer. There's also the temporary buffs like Raging Strikes you can use if the situation calls for it. I don't think the limited damage over time from Venom Bite is really worth bothering with on the Lancer. You might as well just use that turn to use a direct attack that does more damage.
---
I'm a dick, and I want to subject other people to that. ~ R.I.P. Ryan Davis
#4Democrac-yPosted 8/20/2013 7:56:27 PM
XCrimsonSamurai posted...
Hopefully you weren't using one attack with them, since clearly when you use one attack on Lancer, another (Vorpal Thrust) lights up, letting you know that you can combo with it.

To maximize damage with Lancer I equipped Straight Shot from Archer and started battles with that, then used Venom Bite (Also from Archer), and in dungeons or FATEs I would position to the enemy's flank and use Heavy Thrust to gain the 10% damage bonus, then proceed with your True Thrust > Vorpal Thrust combo.

As you level up there becomes other abilities and skills you can use so it doesn't feel so repetitive.

As for Archer, same thing generally, start with Straight Shot, DoTs, use Heavy Shot until your Straight Shot lights up, then use that for an automatic critical. You can use Shadowbind for a bit of crowd control if you're in a group, or if you're solo, it helps prevent you from taking damage.

You used archer skills? It wouldnt let me use them, said I was using the wrong weapon o_O

Anyways for the TC forget about min, max or which one is better, the best class is the one you like the most. Player skill will make up for each classes disadvantages. All classes have their ups and down. Archer is plain boring to me and Lancer damage isnt that amazing from what Ive seen but I have more fun with it.
#5Gamemaster64Posted 8/20/2013 7:58:18 PM
What does Heavy Thrust do? What the buff you get? Didn't read much into the skills beside the one that slow the enemy down if it works(sometimes it just 3-5s timer for that so it hardly much) and been using that first combo. Think you get at least 2-3 combos but it still that first one.

Don't really know what Parry does and how much that parry skill that has a long wait can help.

Also don't know if I should put points in str for more damage or dex for parry.
---
Not much of potato he said but potato he wrote.
3DS- 3308-4618-5127
#6zeik56Posted 8/20/2013 8:04:39 PM(edited)
Democrac-y posted...
You used archer skills? It wouldnt let me use them, said I was using the wrong weapon o_O

Only certain skills are cross class capable. Once you hit level 10 you should be able to assign the available skills you've unlocked with other classes under the abilities menu.

Gamemaster64 posted...
What does Heavy Thrust do? What the buff you get? Didn't read much into the skills beside the one that slow the enemy down if it works(sometimes it just 3-5s timer for that so it hardly much) and been using that first combo. Think you get at least 2-3 combos but it still that first one.

Don't really know what Parry does and how much that parry skill that has a long wait can help.

Also don't know if I should put points in str for more damage or dex for parry.

It gives you 10% damage increase for 10 seconds, if I recall correctly. Parry is basically blocking with your weapon, which reduces damage taken. It's generally only worth using if you've taken aggro, so the long cooldown isn't a big deal unless you're soloing. For Lancer you absolutely want to put your points in Str for more damage as well as increased parry effectiveness. (More damage reduced when parrying.) All dex does is let you parry more, which you don't really need with Keen Flurry.
---
#7XCrimsonSamuraiPosted 8/20/2013 8:21:03 PM
Straight Shot, Venom Bite and Raging Strikes are all very good Archer skills that can be equipped by most anything, specifically Lancer, so I would definitely level it up for those abilities. Once you get like, 32 LNC or something you unlock Blood for Blood, which increases your damage by 20%, giving you a 40% damage boost if you combine the two.

Not sure about Dragoon though, I don't know what the secondary class for unlocking it is. PGL, or maybe it's ARC.

If Dragoon could use abilities from both ARC and PGL I'd be in heaven; Straight Shot, Raging Strikes, Venom Bite, Internal Release... Oh baby...
---
PSN and NNID: CrimsonSamuraiX
#8PrinceMarthXPosted 8/20/2013 8:38:33 PM
Dragoon can't use archer skills anymore.
---
Signature
#9Democrac-yPosted 8/20/2013 8:39:45 PM
I did level archer to unlock the skills, I equiped them both and it wouldnt let me use them... maybe its a range thing, idk but I was in a bad mood -.- I did it for a dungeon and 3 of my 4 cross skills didnt work at all.
#10zeik56Posted 8/20/2013 8:56:01 PM(edited)
XCrimsonSamurai posted...
Not sure about Dragoon though, I don't know what the secondary class for unlocking it is. PGL, or maybe it's ARC.

If Dragoon could use abilities from both ARC and PGL I'd be in heaven; Straight Shot, Raging Strikes, Venom Bite, Internal Release... Oh baby...

Dragoon uses Pugilist as a subclass and also has access to Marauder skills. No Archer unfortunately.

Edit: I could be wrong about the Archer/Marauder though, as I'm getting conflicting info as I double check. They may in fact have access to Archer and not Marauder skills.

Democrac-y posted...
I did level archer to unlock the skills, I equiped them both and it wouldnt let me use them... maybe its a range thing, idk but I was in a bad mood -.- I did it for a dungeon and 3 of my 4 cross skills didnt work at all.

It's important to keep in mind that they don't have the same range as Archer skills just because they're Archer skills. You still have to be within normal melee range.

---