Easiest way to farm shards?

#1Squaresoft111Posted 9/2/2013 9:43:18 PM
I'm somewhat powerleveling Armorer and didn't realize I blew through a stack of nearly 400-500 ice shards. I assume I got them through the many quests I've done, but is there a way to get more without relying on botany/mining?
#2XCrimsonSamuraiPosted 9/2/2013 9:45:26 PM
Sprites.

What's wrong with Botany/Mining, though? At least having mining will help any metallurgy class.
---
PSN and NNID: CrimsonSamuraiX
#3awesomeunoPosted 9/2/2013 9:46:38 PM
Botany/Mining gets you TONS quickly. You can just go ham, and IIRC, one trait lets you get multiple in each attempt...
---
'I'm offended by that.' As if it gave them certain rights. It's nothing more than a...whine. It has no purpose. 'I'm offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what.
#4Gamemaster64Posted 9/2/2013 9:52:04 PM
I just had the same problem with weaving and lightening. Didn't think I went through it all. Though the craft does ask for lots of the thread/cloths for each type.
---
Not much of potato he said but potato he wrote.
3DS- 3308-4618-5127
#5Squaresoft111(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2013 10:52:08 PM
awesomeuno posted...
Botany/Mining gets you TONS quickly. You can just go ham, and IIRC, one trait lets you get multiple in each attempt...

At what level? I hit level three and got about 30 of them in about 10 minutes. Was kinda tedious.
#6RenRen245Posted 9/2/2013 11:29:14 PM
Get miner to level 15-16 then go to west la Noscea and you can mine for them just outside of the town, you should get 8-12 per minutes.
---
''A baby isen't like a golem, i can't make it all by myself !'' - Elena
#7AstroshakPosted 9/3/2013 2:59:43 AM
You know that there are six elements in FF14, right? They are split between Botany and Mining. At level 20, you get three skills (at 400 GP per use!) per class, that increase the shard harvest rate by two. I do not remember the breakdown of which class gets which three elements.

These six skills are each DoH abilities, usable by the other class.

Someone who has taken both Mining and Botany to level 20 can farm up 12-15 shards per mining/tree harvesting points. At higher levels, with better gear than I've got available to me right now, I'd expect that to increase.
#8SyggysPosted 9/3/2013 3:03:29 AM
You don't need to farm any. I have hundreds of each type (some a couple thousand) and I have never gathered a single one.

All I did was go round to all the crafting guilds, sign on, and complete the first quest. You can get even more shards for doing the level 5, 10, etc quests too.

But, if you are determined to gather them you may want to wait until you get the ability that lets you harvest double shards.
---
UK/EU
PSN: SygBoss
#9MercuryPSPPosted 9/3/2013 3:38:20 AM
Gamemaster64 posted...
I just had the same problem with weaving and lightening. Didn't think I went through it all. Though the craft does ask for lots of the thread/cloths for each type.

Think it central shroud? or somewhere with level 30 lightning sprite they drop them allot.
---
PSN: MercuryEQ
FFXIV Malboro server: Val Deniro
#10MercuryPSPPosted 9/3/2013 3:41:45 AM
Syggys posted...
You don't need to farm any. I have hundreds of each type (some a couple thousand) and I have never gathered a single one.

All I did was go round to all the crafting guilds, sign on, and complete the first quest. You can get even more shards for doing the level 5, 10, etc quests too.

But, if you are determined to gather them you may want to wait until you get the ability that lets you harvest double shards.

Like all proffesions, that will only get you so far. People yet to realize this game WILL have you farming mats, OR buying them... each job up to level 20 or so is like a tutorial.
---
PSN: MercuryEQ
FFXIV Malboro server: Val Deniro