How to become a good tank? (advice)

#1exile2000Posted 9/8/2013 1:11:50 AM
I'm level 23 WAR. I'm going into dungeons and I'm getting cussed as I'm not doing my role well. I'm using flash, provoke where I can, buffing my stats, using combos. Just ain't sure what I'm doing wrong? Please help fellow tankers!
---
Haaaaaaaaadouken!
#2zeldashoPosted 9/8/2013 1:13:50 AM
Are you holding aggro? As a WHM, my number one reason for cussing out a Tank is because they couldnt hold aggro and I'd catch a beatdown everytime I tried to cure someone.
---
PSN:SgtWiggles WiiU:SgtWiggles FFXIV:Dawn Aensland
Now Playing: P4A, Dragons Crown, Etrian Odyssey 4, Disgaea 4, BB:Extend, FFXIV, Saints Row IV, Pokemon HGSS
#3espen_nepsePosted 9/10/2013 11:11:35 AM
exile2000 posted...
I'm level 23 WAR. I'm going into dungeons and I'm getting cussed as I'm not doing my role well. I'm using flash, provoke where I can, buffing my stats, using combos. Just ain't sure what I'm doing wrong? Please help fellow tankers!

Check it out. Like the whm said arrgo. Just hoing in and unloading ur skills like in fates is not the way to tank. I am a 30 glad on my way for pal currently. I know a mrd and glad are different. But the idea of tanking is the same.
1 always stay in front.
2 mark targets or learn how. Its kinda complicated on ps3 at first.
3 start off with drawing mob (ie shield throw for me)
4 area atk (flash for me)
5 start ur arrgo combo swtiching targets for each attk.( start combo on one second combo on nxt. Ect.....)
6 after 2 rounds area atk .
7 wash and repeat.
8 MOST IMPORTANT PROTECT HEALER AT ALL COST. HE IS YOUR LIFE SOURCE. DPS ARE SECOND.

and if u have a stupid dps running off ahead. Nicely askdps to wait. If not let his but die and laugh at him.
#4CrashdashxPosted 9/10/2013 11:14:32 AM
To make your life easier, hotkey a mark.

Inform team to attack mark first.

Get in there and aggro monsters. Use flash/overpower so they are glued. Make sure you use it often.

If you still fail then perhaps its your team and not you. You will struggle to keep aggro 100% of the time but if you lose it often, then perhaps DPS is charging in and attack multiple monsters. Maybe they deal too much damage.
#5CrashdashxPosted 9/10/2013 11:16:48 AM
And don't forget, you can mark enemies to sleep also. The mages role should also to be to sleep.

I've had times when I spammed overpower, only for 5 seconds and a monster was no longer aggroed. :/ But if people attack your mark, it should be easy to re-aggro the monster.

It gets hard when the dps spam damage.
#6xenosaga123Posted 9/10/2013 11:16:50 AM
Use Flash (your best aggro skill repeatedly). like 5-6 times once in a while to grab all mobs attention.

Also marking targets is easy on PS3.

Just target a mob,
press Square,
select Mark command in the window,
choose symbol,
select a icon,
X.

That's it.
#7Pikerz37Posted 9/12/2013 6:47:07 PM
After you use flash a list of enemies will come up on the left side of the screen. When they have a red square next to their name they are attacking you. If it is a red triangle, yellow triangle, or green circle they are attacking someone else.