Mics and end game

#1NyekunPosted 11/15/2013 11:53:15 AM
Just a couple questions.

1. I have never done a Coil yet, not that I don't want to but rather I do not have a mic which most parties I've seen appear to want. I'm curious, how necessary is a mic to do coil? From the videos of Turn 1 and 2 I've seen it doesn't appear that necessary. Would prefer feedback to those who've actually done coil themselves.

2. Might be more of a extremely nub software question. Anyways, I have never used a mic on the PC before, I have for my Ps3. Since my Ps3 and PC are in separate room, I'm guessing the only option is to use a mic with whatever program I have on my PC and play on my Ps3 in the other room? Though in my household, people are always on the PC, so would those on the PC be overhearing my conversations? I mean for Ps3 games, with a mic, the game SFX's still come out of the TV but the other mic users can no longer be heard from the TV speakers, only through the mic when on, is it the same with the PC?
#2ULokiPosted 11/15/2013 12:05:26 PM
You don't need mic. You just need to know the fight. You can set up a macro as well of things you think the party needs to know in the middle of the fight and just press it.
#3Nyekun(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 12:09:40 PM
ULoki posted...
You don't need mic. You just need to know the fight. You can set up a macro as well of things you think the party needs to know in the middle of the fight and just press it.

As much as I would love to, most parties I've at least offered to join either kicked after I told them no mic or didn't even bother to send a invite.

However from what I've seen, at least for turn 1 and 2, the only classes that even need to quickly interact with others are the Bard(s) and maybe the Tank/Healer. Not really sure about the other 3 turns.
#4ULokiPosted 11/15/2013 12:14:19 PM
Nyekun posted...
ULoki posted...

As much as I would love to, most parties I've at least offered to join either kicked after I told them no mic or didn't even bother to send a invite.

However from what I've seen, at least for turn 1 and 2, the only classes that even need to quickly interact with others are the Bard(s) and maybe the Tank/Healer. Not really sure about the other 3 turns.

Yeah I guess I would do the same if given the choice. XD
#5SymphonicAriaPosted 11/15/2013 8:51:10 PM
Whilst a mic is not necessary, it is most definitely very useful to have voice chat enabled when you go into coil as even if you don't have a mic you can listen in.
I'd agree that it isn't needed for turns 1 and 2, but it's good to have some vocal prompt of who has interrupted in turn 1, when adds appear in the first boss fight and also on turn 2 it's good to be able to tell your team who has the rot and who to pass it to.
#6RedPanther_GamePosted 11/15/2013 10:18:46 PM
Every group I've run coil with has had some sort of team chat: Ventrilo, teamspeak or Mumble. I play on PS3 and have my laptop open with teamspeak up to voicechat. I've also run into people who can use teamspeak/whatever on their pad/phone to hear the group but as it doesn't have mic, replies by chat log in game, and that works too.
#7The_Game_SavantPosted 11/15/2013 10:24:52 PM
Personaly I refuse to use one. My router kills my connection speed to use as it's rather old and besides that i've ran FAR more difficult and complex endgame than this game has without one.

communication is essential to victory. speaking is not essential to communication.
---
GT: Tealeaf86
#8Gamemaster64Posted 11/16/2013 7:56:08 AM
The_Game_Savant posted...
Personaly I refuse to use one. My router kills my connection speed to use as it's rather old and besides that i've ran FAR more difficult and complex endgame than this game has without one.

communication is essential to victory. speaking is not essential to communication.

Same here except Game and PC are in two different rooms, I don't have a headset for a phone or pc and I don't want to get one. Bought one for the PS3 and it doing nothing but collect dust.
---
Not much of potato he said but potato he wrote.
3DS- 3308-4618-5127
#9Nyekun(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2013 8:20:07 AM
Gamemaster64 posted...
The_Game_Savant posted...

Same here except Game and PC are in two different rooms, I don't have a headset for a phone or pc and I don't want to get one. Bought one for the PS3 and it doing nothing but collect dust.

Question for you two is, have you managed to get into a successful coil party without a mic?
#10cirus 7Posted 11/17/2013 2:28:48 AM
you do need a mic, and voice chat to do well in coil, in most cases. im a pld who gets to at least turn 4 every week with my static, and we all use voice chat. you need tanks to pass aggro, others to pass rot, ect. you dont have time to type with an ability like rot where 5 seconds is the difference between a win and a wipe.
its so bad at the end of turn 2 that we have to separate the tank voice chat in our brains, from the people passing rot, as we are both talking at the same time passing everything around.

now, i have people who run mumble app on their phone, i have people who are dps and usually only hear and dont have a mic connected to talk, for dps that is usually fine, if they know what they are doing. but it makes it harder, we had multiple wipes this week on turn 2, specifically because 1 member could only hear and not talk, and another kept having mic problems.
---
psn id "rajas".