so how is this game?

#1blacklabelicePosted 12/27/2013 4:28:35 AM(edited)
Just picked this one up.. downloading like an 8 gig update after like an hour long install

missed out on FFXI or whatever the online one was for PS2 so i really missed out on the FF Online experience. . really enjoyed FF7, 8, X, and XII. thought XIII was pure trash.

havent tried X-2 or XIV yet.....but as i sit here waiting for this update to download i just kind of want to know what you guys think of the game?

do you deem it worth spending 13 bucks a month on or whatever....am i gonna need more than one character??? i kinda dont know what im doing i just found out theres a monthly fee and different kind of account types. maybe ill just go for one character now and purchase additional stuff in the future i guess

also how is the leveling and battle system this year? is it anything like FF 12 (dare i say it, i enjoyed that combat and gambit setup)

does the game become a major grindfest, like diablo 3 on PC, where the world is so short and youre stuck farming just one area all day every day and get bored to death fast of it? or is it a pretty big open world? id like to have plenty of areas to explore, as opposed to say, farming act 3 in diablo cause thats all there was to do that ever gave you much reward, experience or incentive to keep playing the game

i dunno. i loved many FF games, but i dunno what to expect out of the online MMO thing. hopefully lots of people play this game cause i always play at weird times of the night and i kind of hate playing alone in multiplayer kind of games. im hoping i can really get into this one....at least until FFXV drops anyways. and the X/X-2 remaster as well

lastly hows the economy? can i obtain good stuff in a reasonable amount of time, or do i gotta farm ridiculously just to get anything decent?
#2SyggysPosted 12/27/2013 6:39:56 AM
That was a long post.. i'll try and answer the questions as they came up.

You won't need more than one character at the start. The game uses the "armoury system" which allows you to level all classes and jobs on one character. However, due to the weekly lockout nature of some of the endgame content many people have chosen to level seperate characters to circumvent this. Hopefully SE will fix this eventually as its completely counter intuitive to the core mechanic (the armoury system).

Its not really like ff12. No gambits. Not like ff11 either. Combat is most similar to other MMOs like WoW.

2.0 was pretty grindy at endgame, but its been alleviated quite a bit by all the new content in 2.1. It kinda depends what you're used to in MMO endgames though. Its more than enough for me, but people who play a lot will run out of things to do quickly.

Its kinda like WoW with FF skin and prettier graphics. It doesn't do anything innovative, but it borrows lots of good things from other games.
---
UK/EU
PSN: SygBoss
#3blacklabelice(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2013 8:41:45 AM(edited)
its freezing on me alot

at first it would be a black screen but i can still hear music and stuff at the intro when they are on a chocobo caravan or something

restarted tried again

then it went to a scene where it just kind of hung when my character looked to be talking to another dude but nothing happened at all for 10 minutes

restarted

same thing happened, this time earlier on when they were talking in the caravan thing...

restarted

finally got into the town and got to move my character. started going around and working on quests

console hard froze had to power down.

my ps3 is only 2 weeks old, new, and i just bought this game new yesterday too. im playing on the midgardsomr server, as according to the arrstatus.com website, its had the fastest ping time so i figured i would create my character on that server....

i dont know why i am having such a hard time trying to play this game.

now apparently all the servers are down?!? according to arrstatus anyways

oh well maybe i just picked a bad day to play.
#4blacklabelice(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2013 8:43:57 AM
oh back up again. maybe ill try one last time see how far i can get without it hanging on me
#5MHettenbachPosted 12/27/2013 9:25:29 AM
wow I've never heard of or seen that many lockups, ever.

I've had my game lockup maybe 5-6 times total since the Beta.

you might want to consider delete and reinstall because it almost sounds like your copy of the game is corrupted in some way. :(
---
PSN: KagatoAC / FF:ARR Rei'sela Leiyal
Lodestone: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/3947296/
#6Rebel852Posted 12/27/2013 9:46:21 AM
I just got the game, been playing for two days and have had no freezes and no bugs at all. Yeah, maybe you should re-install.

Also you sound like you're more into single player RPGs than this type of game. But my early opinion on FF14 is

Fantastic UI and polished menus
Great community quests or (F.A.T.E. events)
Solid graphics but with some resolution issues in grassy areas
Traditional MMO combat with some nice Guild Wars 2 style positional attacks
Excellent crafting, gathering
Economy seems pretty healthy (at least on my server, Leviathan)
Community seems friendly, although maybe not as social as WoW
Leveling up process seems very story oriented, with solo instanced boss battles (meh)
Many of the attacks and spells have a very nostalgic FF6 kind of feel to them (which is good)

As I level up, I'm expecting the worst and I'm kinda waiting for this game to let me down in some way, but it seems really solid so far.
#7Mellerker38Posted 12/27/2013 1:11:03 PM
The game was a letdown because it not a full game playthrough and 30 days isnt enough.
#8acurlyquotePosted 12/28/2013 1:41:09 PM
Mellerker38 posted...
The game was a letdown because it not a full game playthrough and 30 days isnt enough.

You could pay the fee y'know. That would circumvent the whole 30 days problem.
#9blacklabelice(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2013 12:11:43 AM(edited)
this games pretty damn awesome. i can already tell its one of the games im going to really get into. so much going on and im only level 12 now. havent even done any dungeons or anything like that. just trying to get some decent starter gear and learn whats what

i dont have a problem shelling out the extra $12 a month or whatever. i'd piss that away anyways. this game feels worth it to me already. kind of cool how it kind of works with my mouse and keyboard and i joined a server one of my friends plays on on his computer.

back at er i go

edit: oh yeah...it hasnt crashed or froze on me yet either since the first fiasco. must have been something weird with the servers i was on or my internet or something, but its been pretty consistant now. maybe just a server fart or something
#10blacklabelice(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2013 12:55:16 AM(edited)
Rebel852 posted...
I just got the game, been playing for two days and have had no freezes and no bugs at all. Yeah, maybe you should re-install.

Also you sound like you're more into single player RPGs than this type of game. But my early opinion on FF14 is

Fantastic UI and polished menus
Great community quests or (F.A.T.E. events)
Solid graphics but with some resolution issues in grassy areas
Traditional MMO combat with some nice Guild Wars 2 style positional attacks
Excellent crafting, gathering
Economy seems pretty healthy (at least on my server, Leviathan)
Community seems friendly, although maybe not as social as WoW
Leveling up process seems very story oriented, with solo instanced boss battles (meh)
Many of the attacks and spells have a very nostalgic FF6 kind of feel to them (which is good)

As I level up, I'm expecting the worst and I'm kinda waiting for this game to let me down in some way, but it seems really solid so far.

i dont mind MMO rpg kinds of game but to me FF has always been a single player kind of thing. i missed out on the other online one, so i didnt know what i was really missing out on or how this would function

the only nuisance i had was with the freezing. i think thats all sorted out now hopefully. the only other issue is all these spammers and stuff trying to get me to go to their website and buy gil and crap. whats the deal with that anyways cause every now and then i see a few of them?

oh yeah, just set up a one time password software token thing on my phone. i dont wanna be the dude who gets his account hacked, loses all of his stuff, and then turned into a spambot