This game is surprisingly good

#1BizzyBumPosted 2/9/2013 3:32:55 PM
I never played the first one and I downloaded the demo for this on my Vita and thought it was ass. But I tried the PC version and it's actually pretty awesome. It looks great, and it's a completely different game running at 60 FPS.

I still prefer the gameplay of Mario Kart, but this is a serious contender to Mario Kart, though of course it won't be nearly as popular. I wish Mario Kart had these graphics, though!
---
I'm bored at work...
#2cgwhite85Posted 2/9/2013 8:09:04 PM
I just picked up this title on the advice of a friend. I am shocked at how good it is. It saddens me to know that it is not ever going to get near the publicity of mario kart.

I find it much better than mario kart simply because this game rewards good players more. Mario kart was notorious for the whole "losing is winning" mindset. Being near the back of the pack in mario nets you WAY better items, quicker recovery and some extra speed to boot. Sonic is much less forgiving towards bad players and I am enjoying that. The tracks in sonic also have a more interesting layout due to the boat/plane/cart switch sections.

I wish more people were playing online though. Racing vs bots is kinda meh.
#3BizzyBum(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 8:55:53 PM
cgwhite85 posted...
I find it much better than mario kart simply because this game rewards good players more. Mario kart was notorious for the whole "losing is winning" mindset. Being near the back of the pack in mario nets you WAY better items, quicker recovery and some extra speed to boot. Sonic is much less forgiving towards bad players and I am enjoying that.

Yes, this is very true. I keep wishing the next MK would be a bit more competitive and less luck based. It was somewhat addressed in the Community system for MK7 where you can limit items to just being Mushrooms or Green Shells. I hope the Wii U version adds way more customization in multiplayer.

The reason I like MK better is I feel the gameplay is still tighter and more responsive. I also simply enjoy the Nintendo vibe over the Sega vibe. If someone was a bigger Sega fan I am sure there choice is this game.

The tracks in sonic also have a more interesting layout due to the boat/plane/cart switch sections.

Reminds me of Diddy Kong Racing. =P
---
I'm bored at work...
#4cgwhite85Posted 2/9/2013 11:24:38 PM
I only ever played DK racing once or twice, so I can't fairly compare the two. If I am going to play an arcade racer I tend to favor fzero and played that WAY more that cart style racers. I'm not sure if nintendo is ever going to make another fzero though, they seem much more interested in mario kart. The controls probably are a little better in mario, and I also admit I like the classic nintendo characters over the sega ones. Although I must say, the team fortress car is a really nice touch for the PC.

Anyway I got this game for all of $20 and its totally worth more than that. The last racing game I got that I liked this much was wipeout HD Fury. I recommended this game to all my steam friends. I hope it picks up a bit and more folks start playing online.
#5ymmac1707Posted 2/10/2013 5:58:32 PM
oustanding game, my first Steam purchase, works well with my 7770 and fx6300...again great game
#6btaylorstlPosted 2/15/2013 9:10:40 AM
Agreed. I hadn't played a kart racer in earnest since Mario Kart: Double Dash on the GameCube, as it seems like they'd just stagnated. I read some good reviews of this and actually played the last game in this series which I had picked up cheap as dirt from Steam and found myself really enjoying it, but this one raises the bar considerably. Well worth the asking price, especially at 60 fps.
---
This signature will not change until the St. Louis Cardinals win the World Series. Started: 10/29/11
#7warpedoPosted 2/27/2013 8:57:12 AM
I'm a huge Mario Kart fan as well so this game really grabbed me. Great control, tons of room for advanced gameplay with stunts and boost levels, evolving tracks that dramatically change as well as transformations.

Hell, this game is fantastic.

They really should have stopped at "Gold" difficulty, however. Expert really tries to crap the bed with how cheap, abusive and unforgiving it can be. CPU cars, no matter what speed rating will pass you going backwards or while frozen during a level three boost. They'll knock you off the track, or send you face first into a wall as if their vehicle is attached to railroad tracks. Anytime you hit one of them, however, you'll simply transfer your momentum to them. They often dogpile on top of you, sending you from 1st to 10th in a matter of seconds.

Then...there are the technical difficulties. Missing transition rings can leave you in the wrong vehicle - constantly resetting every time you drive forward. Random crashes and hangs can compound frustration. Certain cars visuals get a little asinine (Reala's all-star is flat out obnoxious). There is a lot more, but I digress...

It's an awesome game, that compels one to finish every race and unlock every character. Completing S-Class, however, is quite a trial and the biggest reward for having completed a race shouldn't really be the relief in the knowledge that you won't feel obligated to play that particular track any further.
#8Damaged7Posted 2/27/2013 2:25:58 PM
For S class its come down to luck for me. My plan is to use as many Risk Boosts as I can and if I get an All Star i save it till the end. Depending on how far back you are, that should be enought to steal first place.
---
Bold Text