So far the game is pretty good

#1yamisniperPosted 10/22/2012 9:42:36 PM
: ) anyone else playing it?
#2Sp8cemanSpiffPosted 10/23/2012 8:54:43 AM
I'm still undecided of whether I should buy it or not. I finished Rayman Origins not too long ago, and that game raised the genre bar to such extreme heights that even a good to great Giana platformer will probably feel sub-par by comparison. The demo didn't exactly convince me either.

On the other hand it's certainly cheap enough.
---
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. -C.S. Lewis
#3Sp8cemanSpiffPosted 10/23/2012 11:53:35 AM
Bought it as well now. So far (World 1-6) it's been okay, but really nothing more than that. I think some the mechanical idiosyncrasies are pretty damn weird and seem complicated just for the sake of being complicated, like how the dash transforms the world to its cheery form while the spinner does the opposite. Can get rather confusing imo and just isn't very intuitive. The game also seems to make up the rules as it goes: you can swim in some bodies of water while others (which look exactly the same) kill you and send you back to the last checkpoint. The game also doesn't do a particularly good job at communicating environmental and other hazards. The spiky vines simply don't look as threatening as they are, enemies can get obscured by foreground scenery and some platforms allow you to jump through from below while others don't.
The levels also don't have a particularly good flow to them and there's no momentum to the physics. It's very pretty, and the music does a great job mimicking the old Amiga tunes without feeling dated, but other than that the whole thing seems rather amateurish compared to the genre's best offerings.

That said, I'll keep pushing forward. Maybe I'll warm up to it.
---
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. -C.S. Lewis
#4Sp8cemanSpiffPosted 10/23/2012 4:44:20 PM
Have advanced a little further and I'm starting to like it more. It's certainly not a competitor for the platforming throne (very uneven difficulty: goes from piss-easy to fiendishly difficult and then back again in a heartbeat, controls can be finicky, enemy design is uninspired to say the least, and both the visuals and the music - pretty as they may be - repeat themselves a little too often), but it's a solid offering regardless.
---
#5J0megaPosted 10/23/2012 7:41:28 PM
Spiff you sound like my kind of man.
What are your favorite platformers of recent?
And would you recommend the TIME investment (don't care about price...) in this game? Or is it better spent elsewhere...
---
PSN: JOmega-_-
#6StarryKnightsPosted 10/23/2012 11:45:02 PM
Sp8cemanSpiff,

It's no Super Mario World, eh?
---
"If you're going to be a mod, you should work harder to get rid of your humanity. It's creepy." ~ Monker to The Paragon
#7yamisniper(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2012 12:40:41 AM
it sonyl 15 bucks and a indy game so it wasnt going to be perfect
#8Sp8cemanSpiffPosted 10/24/2012 2:33:08 AM(edited)
What are your favorite platformers of recent?
And would you recommend the TIME investment (don't care about price...) in this game? Or is it better spent elsewhere...

Rayman Origins, Limbo and Super Mario 3d Land were pretty much the standouts for me. I did play a couple others, but I didn't really like most of 'em all that much. No fan of Meat Boy, Trine 2 was rather boring and Hell Yeah was just an all around poor game. I'm mostly playing on my PS3, though, so chances are I've missed a couple of good indie offerings on the PC.

As for your time investment? Boy, that's hard to answer. I think it's a pretty decent game with an old-school sensibility and some annoying quirks (so far). That said, if money is of no concern to you, you still might wanna look elsewhere. Unless you really want a platformer of course.

It's no Super Mario World, eh?

Nah. No shame in losing to that game, though.

it sonyl 15 bucks and a indy game so it wasnt going to be perfect

Agreed.
---
#9petran78Posted 10/24/2012 8:38:14 AM
I only dislike the fact that you have to collect a certain amount of stars in order to progress to the boss stage

While world 1 was relatively easy except the boss stage, from world 2 onwards things are getting frustratingly difficult and stages are much larger. there is no way I can collect 4 stars in every level from there on. this means dying 2 times the most. I die much more than that in world 2.

but it is clear that the game was designed by experienced staff and in some areas it is original. though it is for the hardcore platformer players.

DS version was much easier!
---
Q.You want so see some other stuff? What Console? A.Console? Q.What platform? A.Uh, Moral Turpitude?
Q.PC it is, then.
#10J0megaPosted 11/13/2012 10:21:03 PM
Thanks for your input!
I think I will pick up Rayman Origins...It fell off my radar once; won't happen again!
---
PSN: JOmega-_-