Madden for beginners... Need some suggestions

#1sirthomas8403Posted 12/27/2012 6:49:33 PM
So I am a Madden newb. The last Madden game I bought was Madden '07 for the Wii, but I have decided to purchase Madden '13 for the Wii U since it has been a while since I played a football game. Let's just say I am a little, well... VERY overwhelmed with all of the options and to make matters worse, the game comes with no manual. I was considering buying a strategy guide (for the first time in like 20 years), but wasn't sure how well a guide would cater to a beginner like me, and there's also the fact that these guides will most likely be written for the 360 and PS3 and every time it mentions a button for a play or move, I will have to decipher that into Wii U gamepad language. I've already looked all over google and I can't find a single decent guide that you don't have to pay for and that supplies a nice amount of info. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I pay the $13 for a Prima guide or do you know of a good website or FAQ I can check out?
#2Wingsfan416Posted 12/27/2012 8:02:10 PM
I would just take a look at the controls and everything and continue to practice. It's been a long time since I've played too. Are you mainly having a problem with controls, or what?
#3sirthomas8403(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2012 8:10:42 PM
Controls, play calling, options, everything really. :\
#4Wingsfan416Posted 12/27/2012 11:34:15 PM
Maybe use the Madden suggestions for play calling for a while to practice with the controls and then once youre comfortable with the controls, try messing around with the playcalling. Practicing really is the best way to get used to it.
#5Wingsfan416Posted 12/28/2012 11:45:20 PM
Btw, this is coming from a guy that is still throwing 4 picks a game lol. So, don't feel like you have to take my advice ;)
#6kerplunk1982Posted 1/2/2013 8:48:49 AM
My advice is to go into the slider menu and turn the computer interceptions down a bit. This makes the game more playable. I don't mind throing picks when I throw a bad pass but when do a simple playaction slant and my guy has a step on the defender I should not be throwing picks!
---
If practice makes perfect and nobody is perfect why practice?
#7DeszarasPosted 1/3/2013 12:54:43 PM
I have been playing Madden on and off over the last 5 years (and in newb difficulty).

Since I bought the Wii U version, I decided to go all out and actually play through Pro difficulty. While it is discouraging to constantly throw picks, keep practicing and you'll get better at monitoring both the pocket and open receivers.

I threw over 40+ picks during the first week of playing but with constant practice, I was able to bring it down to less than 5-10 in a 20-minute game.

Keep at it and you'll do fine :-)