Best tables to buy?

#1peoples_frankPosted 9/5/2012 10:01:56 AM
I want tables that do a lot of stuff. I have the classic pack for free because I owned that game and I bought the stellar Plants vs Zombies one. What do you think are the best? I hear the X-Men pack is good and I liked the demo. I love Street Fighter but the demo didn't make it seem that good.
---
Now Playing: Lollipop, Gravity Rush, Disgaea 3
PSN: peoplesfrank(real hard to guess)
#2Thirdrail1Posted 9/5/2012 10:08:59 AM
The Avengers pack is pretty swanky. Mars is a personal favorite. That's a great table to learn pinball, in general, as it's big and open and somewhat less arcane than a lot of the others.

When I was in the same position a year ago, I just downloaded all the demos and messed with them all until I could decide. If you stick with the game, you'll probably end up buying all the tables anyway, so having them pre-loaded isn't a terrible idea. They're pretty small on the Vita too - 25mb-50mb a table. It only took me about 40 minutes to download all of them yesterday.
---
Understand this: Game reviews are written by people who think being a "video game journalist" is possible.
#3peoples_frank(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2012 10:14:00 AM
I wish you could buy certain ones from each pack individually. There are some I like better than others in each one. The ninja gaiden table is pretty sweet for a demo, but I'm leaning toward a pack.
---
Now Playing: Lollipop, Gravity Rush, Disgaea 3
PSN: peoplesfrank(real hard to guess)
#4BeasthuntPosted 9/5/2012 10:38:23 AM
I have to agree with Thirdrail. The Avengers pack is fun. I like the first Marvel pack as well. My personal favorites are Excalibur and Tesla. They are all good. Wolverine in a fave as well.
---
Gamertag: Beasthunt, PSN: Beasthunt.
Acts 2:38
#5Sp8cemanSpiffPosted 9/5/2012 3:29:14 PM
I really like Blade, Captain America and Moon Knight. At least the Cap table is available without buying a pack. I think most of the packs are equally great and also kinda meh. I'm also not quite feeling the tables of the Avengers pack yet, especially the one table based on the movie.

I just bought Paranormal after messing around with the demo for a a bit and that seems rather interesting as well.

Plants Vs Zombies is a lot of fun too. Incredibly charming game. Very easy though. Not so much in terms of scoring really high, but it spits out extra balls, kick backs and ball saves left and right. My first game lasted almost 90 minutes.
---
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. -C.S. Lewis
#6Sp8cemanSpiffPosted 9/6/2012 3:43:58 PM
Sorcerer's Lair is another fun and easy one, albeit not as laid back as Plants Vs Zombies. You can actually reach the Wizard Goal without successfully finishing all the missions.
---
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. -C.S. Lewis
#7MetalZoicPosted 9/6/2012 8:33:21 PM
I would say every non-Marvel tables is pretty damn good. I especially love Excalibur and Scorcerer's Lair. V12 is a weird one though, not bad it just has a very strange flow to it and has a lot of technical, skill-based shots.

Of the Marvel Tables I think Captain America and Blade are actually awesome. Moon Knight and Ghost Rider are also interesting, cool tables.

The rest of the Marvel tables I would say are just... ok. If you like the characters your mileage may vary.

However the Avengers, Fear Itself, World War Hulk (which I realllly wanted to like) and Infinity Gauntlet I would almost say are bad.

They're the flashiest, they talk non-freaking stop, the have the most gimmicks and they are loop overkill. They have very few skilled shots and nearly any random shot you make will go up a ramp or loop somewhere.

If you like the characters then you may really like them, but as actual good pinball tables I wouldn't score them very high.
#8Sp8cemanSpiffPosted 9/7/2012 3:12:04 AM
I still haven't given up on Fear Itself personally. Seems like an interesting one, and I really love that loop. Love the art on it as well.
Hulk is probably my least favorite of them. Loaded with countless ramps, all in eye-pleasing yellow on a yellow play field. I have no idea what the **** I'm doing or what I'm even supposed to be doing, but somehow I'm making points anyway. It's kinda dumb.
---