Better Wits, Better Items?

#1princezilkPosted 6/18/2013 8:18:59 PM
I've been finding good stuff on my characters with 7 wits, and on my newbs I take out to level find garbage. Is this a coincidence? Or is there something to this?
#2DarquePosted 6/18/2013 8:29:48 PM
The game says the higher your wits the less likely you are to break items.... so more potential loot items.

I'd assume rarer items are regulated more with fragility than RNG hate.
---
Jill Valentine > You
#3princezilk(Topic Creator)Posted 6/18/2013 8:45:26 PM
Ah, interesting. I never knew about the fragility thing. Makes sense, I didn't find a Falchion or Broadsword until Sam had lvl. 7 wits.
#4nesrtkfanPosted 6/18/2013 8:46:42 PM
i think it's just bias

i've read the skill and the way i understood wits was that it's about speed on looting. never noticed any difference on quality and i leveled up a few dedicated scavengers with the ninja skill

however there was some discussion about high wits characters and their own scavenging runs while you're not playing, and i think it makes sense. my high wits guy in my last playthrough after i loaded scavenged 10 ammo. maybe bias there, but it does make sense
#5princezilk(Topic Creator)Posted 6/18/2013 8:54:00 PM
I just don't understand why I played hours and hours, finding garbage. I've never found a katana or other blade or good blunt with low level guys. As soon as I have level 7 wits, it all changes. I do understand it could totally be coincidence. I guess no one else noticed, so I'll assume that is the case.
#6D_GryphonPosted 6/18/2013 9:00:48 PM(edited)
There may be something to this.

Just went on a pretty extended scavenging run with a level 7 wits character and found handguns in just about everything I searched.
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_makswxJyQk1qg4blro1_500.gif
#7SgtMBeckPosted 6/18/2013 9:02:12 PM
I think it has more to do with the location of the looting, than with the Wits level.

I've found there to be far better loot in Marshall and the Fair Grounds, than in Spencers Mill.
#8D_GryphonPosted 6/18/2013 9:05:33 PM
SgtMBeck posted...
I think it has more to do with the location of the looting, than with the Wits level.

I've found there to be far better loot in Marshall and the Fair Grounds, than in Spencers Mill.

I've been going back to the first area to clear stuff I missed and I'm finding good stuff there as well.

Also, the whole breaking items things, perhaps that's the difference between finding resources vs loose items?
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_makswxJyQk1qg4blro1_500.gif
#9nesrtkfanPosted 6/18/2013 9:14:14 PM(edited)
tbh i have no idea what this break item is. i thought it was meant as break the speed search (with low wits) and create the loud noise, was that it? or is it something to do with breaking open rutsacks and getting more stuff out of them?

edit: or is it meant to be weapons going yellow?
#10princezilk(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2013 4:50:51 AM
Yeah, I don't get the break item thing either. However, I believe I am right about better wits better items. I tested it last night, searching neighboring homes alternating with no wits and seven stars. Seven stars found auto shotties and assault rifles and morphine.

No wits found a .22 pistol, flares, alarm clocks, and junk...