The Kirkman House

#1JesusRaptorPosted 7/9/2013 3:06:55 PM
So I'm on my fourth run through, just sandboxing it at the moment, enjoying the game. I went with Jacob to look for new homes and for some reason...I don't know how, in my first three playthroughs I never realized there was a second base in Spencer's Mill. The Kirkman House (named after the Walking Dead creator) has a really nice elevated location, it's just left of the gun store and right of the construction sight. I seriously never even realized it was there before. So just for RPs sake I decided to relocate there. I've always done the warehouse and frankly it has gotten boring and far too easy and repetitive. I had intended initially to relocate to Savini's until I found this place.

It's pretty good, my only qualms are the workshop is built in and is only A real workshop, so it fixes the body of the cars, but not the works, this is gradually becoming more tedious as my cars keep taking damage and not getting fixed. Also it could become difficult to micromanage for late game if I intend to build a storage unit so I can research turning food into fuel for indefinite increased trap radius. It only has six outpost slots, not a big deal (I figured Savini's would only have six as well) all of Spencer's Mill is on lockdown regardless.

I'm just wondering if anyone else likes this home say as compared to Savini's or Mcready's farm? Both of which were my other two options. Obviously both the fairgrounds and Warehouse are strategically better, but I'm asking for RP purposes. What are the comparative built in facilities of the other two? I imagine Savini's starts with a fully upgraded tower/treefort.

For comparison Kirman's House comes with:

Built in bedroom with bunks for good night's sleep bonus
Kitchen
Real Workshop - which only fixes tires and body damage
---
Do not go gentle.
#2Talon5967Posted 7/9/2013 4:09:24 PM
I now move to the Kirkland residence as soon as I'm able to move, but only stay there until I've searched every building on that half of the map (divided by drawing a diagonal, but not quite straight, line from NW to SE, with the farm being just on the Spencer's Mill side). It's easier to defend against hordes (you can surround it completely with outposts), and about half the wall is blocked by rocks or bushes (the side opposite the tower), and it has twice the storage capacity of the church. Plus, I just like it better than the church.

Once Spencer's Mill and everything else on that side of the map is searched, I move to Marshall. Last time I moved to the Savini residence. It's almost exactly like the Kirkland house, except that instead of a built in workshop, it has a library. Which means you can build your own upgradable workshop, without using an extra slot.

I've been debating moving to The Alamo, but really only to see what it was like. I also want to move into it so I can enter its data on my base write-up (I've noticed that there is no real listing of what each base has to offer, and I'm looking to remedy that). The Alamo and the farm are all I'm missing. The Alamo because I've never been there, the farm because I only moved there in my first game, and I've forgotten what facilities and number of plots it has.
---
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that know binary, and those that don't.
GT:Talon Omega. If you send an FR please tell me where you got my GT.
#3D_GryphonPosted 7/9/2013 4:21:48 PM
Talon5967 posted...
(I've noticed that there is no real listing of what each base has to offer, and I'm looking to remedy that).

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/681534-state-of-decay/66523922
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_makswxJyQk1qg4blro1_500.gif
#4Talon5967Posted 7/9/2013 4:35:33 PM
Never mind then. That's almost exactly what I was making. Even down to the format.

I wonder how many requests it takes for a topic to be stickied? Because that one needs it.
---
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that know binary, and those that don't.
GT:Talon Omega. If you send an FR please tell me where you got my GT.
#5_OujiDoza_Posted 7/9/2013 4:47:48 PM
Talon5967 posted...
Never mind then. That's almost exactly what I was making. Even down to the format.

I wonder how many requests it takes for a topic to be stickied? Because that one needs it.

The structure of that thread was done well, but not well enough to deserve a sticky, for whatever reason..you may want to post your own and see what happens - I'd vouch for it for sure if it's anything like the other thread.
---
http://i.imgur.com/leMQr3Q.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/lezwhwq
#6D_GryphonPosted 7/9/2013 4:49:05 PM
I tried the Alamo out. It's a fun little place but that's just it. It's tiny.

It's in a good location for scavenging though.

I moved straight to the Savini house and I love it.
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_makswxJyQk1qg4blro1_500.gif
#7DarquePosted 7/9/2013 5:16:13 PM
The Kirkman house is great if you want to stripmine the first town.

The Alamo is..... way too small.... but well placed.
---
Jill Valentine > You
#8JesusRaptor(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2013 6:56:50 PM
Sadly I feel the Warehouse and Fairgrounds were just built to be the obvious and ideal bases. I love the homes though, it gives that sense of a real survivor community that has banded together with limited resources. The warehouse is too easily guarded/defended and honestly too optimal. It's just great for everything you need. Now I know that sounds funny, but I do want my survivors to have at least somewhat of a struggle to survive this time. It adds to the tension and urgency for me. My other playthroughs have abused the warehouse for how good it is, and honestly I don't really enjoy the fairgrounds. However I haven't seen it since TU2 came out and apparently removed a lot of the maze fencing.
---
Do not go gentle.
#9midnyghtsson265Posted 7/10/2013 5:53:36 AM(edited)
I think I may try the savani house as well. I'm currently living in kirkman but I built another workshop just so I can have an upgraded one. I'd rather trade that for a built in library.

Can we remove pre-built things? I thought someone said we can but it wont let me. Only things I built.

After reading that base thread, I changed my mind. I think for me the mcready farm may be the very best for long term living. I want 16 beds and they have a built in second room, and it also has enough spots for me to build what I want. Then the location...I didn't totally drain areas this time of resources so I think this central spot will work good. I can get to marshall or back to spencers mill pretty quick.

I'm moving today.
---
Dragon's Dogma, Red Dead Redemption, State of Decay, Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, and Defiance...5 of my favorite games ever.
#10-CheeseSteak-Posted 7/10/2013 7:55:55 AM
The Savini house is the best spot in the game imo.

It's damn - near smack in the middle of Marshall and the outposts extend the length of the bulk of the portion of Marshall - it's great.

Easy access to every point within that area, my only beef is that the house just across the street ALWAYS has zombies pouring out of it, which can get a tad annoying, but that residence is the best.

As I think about it, the "tree fort" not being upgradeable is a pain in the ass as well, but nothing too bad.
---
http://tinyurl.com/mh92guw