Portable Ops canon

#1DiabloPLPosted 9/3/2012 11:20:00 AM
Hey guys, I have a question about Portable Ops. Is the game considered non-canon as it had never happened like Metal Gear 2: Snake's Revenge or that GBA MGS game or is it canon to the Metal Gear universe?? Is it side-story like Kingdom Heart Re: Cod, Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, or Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance that has its own story that is not relevant to main plot of the core games- but exist within the same universe??

I read an article on metalgearsoup website or something like that about Portable Ops that made it seems canon to the universe. Altough, I do not know if that website is any good.

Any help would be appreciatted. :)
#2super hotshot bowserPosted 9/3/2012 11:24:45 AM
They mention it briefly in PW, which is also canon. My guess is yes. Then again they mention Ghost Babel in MGS2, but that was more random since it was during that trippy scene in MGS2.
---
GT/PSN = KeronSHB
Official Hatchiyack of the DBRB2 360 Boards
#3MajorZeroPosted 9/3/2012 11:26:29 AM
Ghost babel was cannon becuase of it's secret ending, it was raiden's vr training.

as far as PO I believe some elements are cannon, but things like Sokolov ghost... they probably won't mention again lol
#4super hotshot bowserPosted 9/3/2012 11:28:23 AM
MajorZero posted...
Ghost babel was cannon becuase of it's secret ending, it was raiden's vr training.

as far as PO I believe some elements are cannon, but things like Sokolov ghost... they probably won't mention again lol

I don't remember Raiden's VR training being Ghost Babel. I remember that they said it was the Shadow Moses Incident.
---
GT/PSN = KeronSHB
Official Hatchiyack of the DBRB2 360 Boards
#5riddlebox89Posted 9/3/2012 11:30:38 AM
super hotshot bowser posted...
I don't remember Raiden's VR training being Ghost Babel. I remember that they said it was the Shadow Moses Incident.

And Raiden took on several hundred other VR missions, it's not impossible that Ghost Babel could have been one of them.

Also, Portable Ops is canon, entirely, 100%, Kojima himself said the events in Portable Ops happened, therefor, they are canon.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#6Ben ReillyPosted 9/3/2012 11:38:40 AM
it was and still officially is, but apparently Kojima is trying to quietly remove it again, I really wish he would make up his mind.

His last interview about the main games in the series he ignored it complete, but mentioned PW, and at the 25th anniversary celebration, it was the only game that was completely ignored:

https://twitter.com/Kojima_Hideo/status/237791160255516672/photo/1
---
Lebatard: "So what more could Derrick Rose actually have done to make you acknowledge that he had a bad game? Urinate on himself?"
#7MajorZeroPosted 9/3/2012 11:50:19 AM
it was a secret ending in ghost babel after completing certain stages... the player is refereed to as jack...

in mgs2 raiden says he completed the Shadow Moses vr, and snake says that he bets it wasn't entirely accurate. also crazy ai colonel mentions it as well

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Metal_Gear:_Ghost_Babel check out the trivia section
#8l3igl3ossPosted 9/3/2012 11:51:47 AM
It wasnt on that list because he didnt direct it, but the gameīs story constructs developed into MGS4īs explanation of the Patriots. Portable Ops is canon until Kojima ret-cons whatever happened there.
#9eric_otnessPosted 9/3/2012 12:16:54 PM
Ben Reilly posted...
it was and still officially is, but apparently Kojima is trying to quietly remove it again, I really wish he would make up his mind.

His last interview about the main games in the series he ignored it complete, but mentioned PW, and at the 25th anniversary celebration, it was the only game that was completely ignored:

And yet it was still mentioned it in Peace Walker, even in HD ports where, due to revoicing, they could have easily just removed the line.
#10riddlebox89Posted 9/3/2012 12:25:47 PM
Ben Reilly posted...

You and me both buddy.

I think that he just avoids mentioning it because he just wants to stick with what he said before, the events happened but it's not a main chapter, that way he doesn't get asked questions about why he decided to keep it as canon.

Either that, or like I've been saying for a while, Kojima is bats*** crazy.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.