Beating The Boss with CQC?

#1SterlingFoxPosted 6/2/2013 9:24:43 PM
Question. Playing MGS3 HD, and I am now at the showdown with The Boss. I can't quite figure out how to counter her CQC though. The only times I've done it seem to be me tapping O at random.

I've been trying to watch the way she swings my arms and aim the stick against it while pressing O, or hold O as opposed to tapping it, or tapping O as opposed to holding it, etc. I can't figure out how to do it though.

Is there some method to this that I'm missing?
---
Underwater Spartans:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUhjsL2tOkA
#2AarturoScPosted 6/2/2013 9:36:39 PM
To counter her CQC, you need to wait for Snake to grunt, then press O. That's they way it worked for alot of us. Also, when you knock her on the floor, throw a Stunt grenade so you time it when she's getting up so she wouldn't be able to retaliate. Repeat and you're gold.
---
Anything can happen at any time in this world. - Asakura Hao
#3You_Need_A_LifePosted 6/3/2013 7:07:21 AM
If you try to throw her, it'll never work. You need to let her start CQCing you, and you'll see a little "!" prompt appear at the bottom of the screen.

Now it's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure you press circle when you see that, and it counters Boss' CQC, and you can then do whatever. I always give her a P-P-K, which knocks her down, and lets you get a forth hit while she's on the ground.
#4Suppaman234Posted 6/3/2013 7:20:14 AM
When she runs at you and attacks you, wait for Snake to grunt then press and HOLD Circle. Snake will then counter attack. When she's dazed, CQC slam her, followed by P-P-K and then roll into her to get one last hit.
#5AarturoScPosted 6/3/2013 10:24:37 AM
You_Need_A_Life posted...
If you try to throw her, it'll never work. You need to let her start CQCing you, and you'll see a little "!" prompt appear at the bottom of the screen.

Now it's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure you press circle when you see that, and it counters Boss' CQC, and you can then do whatever. I always give her a P-P-K, which knocks her down, and lets you get a forth hit while she's on the ground.

Prompt only happens on easier difficulties, though.
---
Anything can happen at any time in this world. - Asakura Hao
#6You_Need_A_LifePosted 6/3/2013 11:15:07 AM
I guess up to normal then. The last time I played MGS3 was around 2005, and since getting the HD Collection, I only replayed it on Normal a couple of times.

I do know that if you let her come to you, and you start mashing circle when she starts her CQC attack, there's no penalty for timing and you'll always counter her 100% of the time, but that's a pretty greasy strategy if I do say so myself.
#7spamhairPosted 6/3/2013 4:20:45 PM
You need a life I always got destroyed when I did that in Hard mode, so....

Wait til after the grunt and mash circle with all your might. (That's what I did)
---
"Hayters gonna hayte," said in response to David Hayter not voicing Snake in MGSV.
#8You_Need_A_LifePosted 6/3/2013 6:51:15 PM
Now that you mention it, I do remember something about that...

...maybe I'll just stop trying to give advice on games I haven't played for a decade, ha ha!
#9alexg1989Posted 6/3/2013 9:50:47 PM
Here's what works for me.

Let her come at you, then when she's close enough counter her CQC with the O button.

There are 2 ways I know to do it...

1.) There are times during the fight where she will charge at you saying something like "Here I Come! or Get Ready!... then that means that at the moment she reaches you, there's going to be a delay in the time it takes for her to grab you. It looks like she does some kind of faking move... So you should time your counter according to that.

2.) Once you're passed her initial charge at you, hide behind a tree. Peak out and let her see you. Once she does, hide behind the tree again. She'll walk slowly toward the location she saw you. Once she's close enough, go around the tree and stalk her and then CQC slam her.

If she sees you and she's only within 5 or so feet away from you, she'll try to grab you... and on occasions like that, the best way I found to counter her is to press the O button as soon as she reaches you.

After I CQC slam her, I typically shoot her in the head twice with the MK22... take too long and she'll get back up. If that happens, you can just roll into her and that will knock her down.
---
PSN ID: psvitagamer89 ~~ God is fake, isn't it obvious?
Read my blog: http://www.artisticexpression.wordpress.com