What's with the complaints about Quiet's outfit?

#11BigBoss19(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2013 3:55:32 PM
I don't understand why Big Boss, Snake, Ocelot, shirtless or naked Raiden is ok, but a bikini top in the desert is sexualizing a character? Whoever it is doing the complaining needs to calm down and realize it goes both ways and not freak out over a character
---
"It's about respecting the will of others, and believing in your own"~Big Boss
#12LionHart627Posted 6/17/2013 3:57:33 PM
istuffedsunny posted...
Haters gon hate. No seriously I've never seen a pretty or even anverage looking girl get upset over someone being half naked in a videogame.

Well, it happens. It's been happening since the over-sexualization of women in the original Tomb Raiders, the Dead Or Alive series took a lot of criticism for it and Metal Gear has always been pretty offensive in this regard, with active complaints about it. There's literally no need for that type of design on the character. This comic sums things up nicely:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/04/24
---
I tell you all my secrets, but I lie about my past
Send me off to bed forever more.
#13BillysanPosted 6/17/2013 4:02:02 PM
LionHart627 posted...
istuffedsunny posted...
Haters gon hate. No seriously I've never seen a pretty or even anverage looking girl get upset over someone being half naked in a videogame.

Well, it happens. It's been happening since the over-sexualization of women in the original Tomb Raiders, the Dead Or Alive series took a lot of criticism for it and Metal Gear has always been pretty offensive in this regard, with active complaints about it. There's literally no need for that type of design on the character. This comic sums things up nicely:

But the Sorceress character doesn't have enlarged genitals....

Both characters have exaggerated bodies that each sex finds sexy.
---
http://billysan291.deviantart.com/
PSN: Billysan291
#14toughguypetePosted 6/17/2013 4:04:08 PM
she has huge boobs and is in the desert, a bikini top helps minimize under-boob sweat
#15BigBoss19(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2013 4:07:21 PM
Billysan posted...
LionHart627 posted...
istuffedsunny posted...

Exactly, both characters have larger chests, I've played Guild Wars and the male classes are ripped and the women are curvy but of course only the women are sexualized
---
"It's about respecting the will of others, and believing in your own"~Big Boss
#16jessevalePosted 6/17/2013 4:07:39 PM
In MGS it does serve a purpose tbh.

Eva and a lot of MGS3 themes are clearly Bond references.

I don't want it to end in my video games. Silly Japanese perversions is hilarious. Now, basing a whole game off of it is just silly, like the DoA Beach Volleyball example.

But seriously, GET TO HERE QUICK AND SEE MERYL WITHOUT PANTS is some of the most lulzy charm of the series. It doesn't degrade women.
---
SE is a FUGPUSC, Yasumi Matsuno is brilliant, Tetsuya Nomura is my most treacherous foe.
inXile is the next big thing for true RPGs.
#17Winners_ProofPosted 6/17/2013 4:09:31 PM
BigBoss19 posted...
I don't understand why Big Boss, Snake, Ocelot, shirtless or naked Raiden is ok, but a bikini top in the desert is sexualizing a character? Whoever it is doing the complaining needs to calm down and realize it goes both ways and not freak out over a character

Exactly. It's why I no longer take these comments seriously or feminism itself. Blatant hypocrisy is what has become of it.
---
"Follow the hearts and you'll find the way. That's something Yen Sid taught me once." King Mickey
People who think I'm a winner: 8
#18Dave_GahanPosted 6/17/2013 4:25:31 PM
co1onel posted...
Because a real sniper would never be wearing that in battle. Its clearly done just to sexualize her.

uh maybe she's hot. she's in a desert.
---
SAVAGE LIFE
HOUSTON TEXANS
#19LionHart627Posted 6/17/2013 4:30:18 PM
Billysan posted...

Are you being serious right now?

http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/DC-Sorceress-Vid.jpg
http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/dragons-crown/f/f4/Dragons-crown-fighter-468.jpg

Male character is huge and ripped, definitely an exaggerated body... but it's completely covered up. It's not presented in a sexual manner. The Sorceress, on the other hand, is not only grossly exaggerated but is presented wholly sexually. Same with the Amazon.

In the MGS series, Snake (both of them) has shirtless scenes, Raiden is nude, but these details are not focused on. They are not ogled by female characters in the game, they are not presented to be eye candy. While Sniper Wolf, EVA, Meryl in underwear, the numerous bikini posters and countless other examples (date with Paz anyone?) are sexualized for the sole purpose of being sexualized. Their exposure has no plot relevance or character importance, it's purely there so men have something to stare at.

jessevale posted...
In MGS it does serve a purpose tbh.

Eva and a lot of MGS3 themes are clearly Bond references.

That's not a purpose. This issue extends outside of MGS3, as well.

But seriously, GET TO HERE QUICK AND SEE MERYL WITHOUT PANTS is some of the most lulzy charm of the series. It doesn't degrade women.

Everyone get a good look: This is how misogynists LITERALLY think.

Winners_Proof posted...
Exactly. It's why I no longer take these comments seriously or feminism itself. Blatant hypocrisy is what has become of it.

LMAO. Sexism at it's finest.
---
I tell you all my secrets, but I lie about my past
Send me off to bed forever more.
#20BerserkFury8533Posted 6/17/2013 4:49:58 PM
Woman be QUIET!!!
---
Thought you could take my name, my game, my story, my glory, my fame!
--(Psn: LunaticHighZZZZZ)---