About Naked Snake's Xm16 in Snake Eater. *Spoilers for MGS3*

#1RickMoranisPosted 7/1/2013 2:32:26 PM
It belonged to the Sorrow.

During Virtuous Mission you can find the Xm16 in a little cave under the rope bridge.

In one of the codec calls (couldn't find a YT vid) it is mentioned that it belonged to and was customized and used by someone else before Snake found it.

If you look at the gun in the survival viewer you can see that the gun has wrapping around it as it was described in the codec calls.

The area where you find it is the same area where the Sorrow died.

Now after Virtuous Mission obviously you lose the gun, but all this means is that it was recovered and stashed somewhere else for you to find later.

Does this sound about right to you?
---
Moranis 3:16 says I just shrunk your ass!
#2Old_SolidusPosted 7/1/2013 2:35:05 PM
Wow... How early of an XM16 did Sorrow have, the designer's personal copy?!
---
PSN Name: SSolidus (in the fridge right now)
In Outer Heaven... Men Become Demons
#3RickMoranis(Topic Creator)Posted 7/1/2013 2:39:39 PM
Old_Solidus posted...
Wow... How early of an XM16 did Sorrow have, the designer's personal copy?!

I believe that the Sorrow died only a few years before operation Snake Eater. And yes it would have been a very early prototype years before the gun was invented in reality. But such is Metal Gear Solid right?

Now if it weren't for the fact that you find the gun again during Operation Snake Eater. I would have said that the gun belonged to The Boss and that it was the gun used to kill the Sorrow. And then only a week later after Virtuous mission she makes the gun into the Patriot that we come to know of during Operation Snake Eater. Obviously this is not the case.
---
#4spamhairPosted 7/7/2013 8:41:15 PM
I never heard that xm16 codec call. Well need to find that first. Cool thought, though.
---
"Hayters gonna hayte," said in response to David Hayter not voicing Snake in MGSV.
#5SterlingFoxPosted 7/7/2013 8:56:51 PM(edited)
Idk, the XM16 is an American gun. The Sorrow was on Russia's side.

Also, The Boss doesn't recognize it or remark on it at all. She says that it was probably captured when they battle-tested it in southeast Asia.

Codec message is:

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid_3_radio_conversations

The Boss: The weapon you're equipped with now is called the XM16E1. It's a new type of rifle currently being developed by the U.S. Army.
Naked Snake: If it's still in development, then what's it doing here?

The Boss: My guess is they captured it when it was being battle-tested in Southeast Asia. But the one you've got there is quite a bit different from the ones I've been hearing about. For one thing, it's camo--painted and it's fitted with a three-shot burst mechanism. It even looks like you could attach a suppressor... All of these modifications are geared toward jungle combat.

Naked Snake: This doesn't look like the work of the Soviets.

The Boss: My guess is they were added on-site by an American gunsmith during the army field trials. Open the Weapon Window and press the Enter Button to attach or remove the suppressor. Press the Action Button to switch between semi-auto, full auto, and three-shot burst modes. Make use of each of these functions as the situations warrants.

---
Underwater Spartans:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUhjsL2tOkA
#6spamhairPosted 7/7/2013 8:56:43 PM
Yeah, I'm leaning towards it being the gun the Boss used to kill the Sorrow if anything special at all.
---
"Hayters gonna hayte," said in response to David Hayter not voicing Snake in MGSV.
#7RickMoranis(Topic Creator)Posted 7/7/2013 10:41:33 PM
Isn't there a sigint codec call about it as well?
---
#8SterlingFoxPosted 7/8/2013 1:10:51 AM
RickMoranis posted...
Isn't there a sigint codec call about it as well?

Yeah. Here's the Sigint codec convo:

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/XM16E1

Sigint: "Snake, you've got a..."
Snake: "I know. It's some new kind of rifle out of the West. Looks kind of like a 'black rifle'."

Sigint:
"No, it's not an AR-15. It's an XM16E1, a top-of-the-line rifle that the Army adopted recently on a trial basis. The U.S. military was working on a new concept for a light infantry weapon from the late 40's through the mid 50's. In the end, they decided they wanted a .22-caliber, high muzzle velocity rifle with full-auto capability. What they came up with was the AR-15, the so-called 'black rifle.' The one you've got there, the XM16E1, is a modified AR-15 that's been fitted with a bolt forward assist. I heard they're doing performance evaluations down in Southeast Asia."

Snake:
"So they captured one in Vietnam and brought it here?"

Sigint:
"That's my guess. But the thing looks a lot different from a regular XM16E1. There must have been a gunsmith present at the field tests who made all these modification [sic] on the spot. The fact that it's painted in camouflage colors shows that more and more people these days are starting to realize the importance of camouflage."

Snake:
"They made it so it takes a suppressor, too."

Sigint
: "Yep. That's a nice feature to have for a recon unit on a sneaking mission deep in enemy territory. You can attach and detach the suppressor by opening the Weapon Window and pressing the Enter Button. Oh, and the firing mechanism's been modified to enable three-shot bursts."

Snake:
"Why the hell would they do that?"

Sigint:
"These days, a lot of new recruits aren't used to firing in full-auto mode. They have no trigger control and end up emptying the whole magazine at once. Maybe they were experimenting with ways to prevent that and came up with the burst mechanism as a possible solution."

Snake: "Stupid idea if you ask me."

Sigint: "Hey, give it a chance, it might come in handy. Open the Weapon Window and press the Action Button to switch between semi-auto, full-auto, and 3-shot burst modes. Have fun with that."

They both say the Russians captured it from Southeast Asia.
---
Underwater Spartans:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUhjsL2tOkA
#9AngryGFAQerPosted 7/8/2013 1:21:07 AM
I never noticed it belong to Sorrow. Guess I'll have to check it out Legacy arrives tomorrow.
---
"I was garbage, the writing transformed," - Raiden
I'm Batman. I don't enjoy anything.
#10Old_SolidusPosted 7/8/2013 5:09:50 AM
It's your topic Rick, so I'm gonna say it belonged to Soliquidus Bosselot. As a reward.

Seriously, I think this is just a coincidence occuring from Kojima's overconvolution. MGS is like yoghurt, it is alive on its own, look at what it spat out..
---
PSN Name: SSolidus (in the fridge right now)
In Outer Heaven... Men Become Demons