Portable Ops?

#1kill_distroyPosted 7/8/2013 2:16:25 PM
So I've been playing all of the MGS games in preparation of V. I've finished 1, 2 and just finished 3. I am wondering, however, is Portable Ops relevant to the story? Or does Peace Walker pick up right after 3?
---
Got it Memorized?
GT: Risev / PSN: RisevQ8
#2Navar_EprohtPosted 7/8/2013 2:19:37 PM
I've never played it, but I've heard that Portable Ops isn't very important in the grand scheme of things.
---
"December 21st 2012: The day Microsoft makes the world RROD"
-im_a_legend
#3Gr3gSolidusPosted 7/8/2013 2:30:40 PM
Oh god, here it comes. All I'm going to say is if you like stealth games and MGS it wouldn't hurt to pick up PO if you have a PSP. That and Ac!d 2.
#4kill_distroy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2013 2:40:18 PM
Gr3gSolidus posted...
Oh god, here it comes. All I'm going to say is if you like stealth games and MGS it wouldn't hurt to pick up PO if you have a PSP. That and Ac!d 2.

I would've done that, sadly I don't have a PSP.
---
Got it Memorized?
GT: Risev / PSN: RisevQ8
#5HamiwifulPosted 7/8/2013 2:42:03 PM
kill_distroy posted...
Gr3gSolidus posted...

I would've done that, sadly I don't have a PSP.

Then go ahead and play Peace Walker.
#6JSC3Posted 7/8/2013 2:52:29 PM
MPO happens to be my second FAV MGS game. It bothers me that Kojima likes to act as if it doesn't exist. It has as much relevance as peace walker because none of peace walker is referred to in any other MGS game. It kind of has relevance because (potential spoilers) it shows how Big boss got the funds to create MSF. The only things holding the game back were the lack of voice acting in the codec sequences and the controls IMO.
---
Worst Mistakes in Gaming History:
Kojima replacing Metal Gear Cast and Nintendo selling Rareware
#7riddlebox89Posted 7/8/2013 2:58:12 PM
JSC3 posted...
MPO happens to be my second FAV MGS game. It bothers me that Kojima likes to act as if it doesn't exist. It has as much relevance as peace walker because none of peace walker is referred to in any other MGS game.

Well of course Peace Walker isn't referred to in any other MGS games...Peace Walker was the most recently released MGS game -_-
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#8MrBigHead1988Posted 7/8/2013 4:59:18 PM
There's no reason not to play Portable Ops. I know a lot of people gripe about the controls, but I found them manageable. The dragging of soldiers was quite tedious though... Also, the story is questionable and people constantly argue it's cannon validity.

At the end of the day, it's still the MGS experience. It's a nice side story to be taken with a grain of salt. If you find the mother base management to be undesirable, you may actually prefer this game to Peace Walker since troop management plays a smaller roll.

P.S.

I also recommend Ghost Babel. I just finished my first play through in 13 years. It serves as a cool alternative sequel to Metal Gear 1. Think Zelda timeline split. I wouldn't mind if they continued the Ghost Babel time line. The game itself plays like a mission based Metal Gear 2. One of the most challenging Metal Gear encounters IMHO.
#9alexg1989Posted 7/8/2013 5:34:12 PM
Kojima basically stated that anything not in The Legacy collection isn't a part of the MGS Legacy...

Guess what? MPO is not on the Legacy collection. Its not at all important to the series though it wouldn't hurt to play it I guess. Its a very bad game imo...
---
PSN ID: psvitagamer89 ~~ God is fake, isn't it obvious?
Read my blog: http://www.artisticexpression.wordpress.com
#10MrBigHead1988Posted 7/8/2013 5:45:25 PM
alexg1989 posted...
Kojima basically stated that anything not in The Legacy collection isn't a part of the MGS Legacy...

Guess what? MPO is not on the Legacy collection. Its not at all important to the series though it wouldn't hurt to play it I guess. Its a very bad game imo...

I respect that, especially if it's the wish of Koji Boss. If you've played through all the games multiple times and you're looking for a new story, PO is worth a play through.