Kazuhira Miller? Portable Ops? (No PW spoilers please)

#1Patriarch105Posted 7/10/2013 11:20:36 AM(edited)
So Miller mentions the San Hieronymo Peninsula. Is this just a jab at the game by Kojima? Or are we meant to think that Kaz was part of the forces in Columbia that Big Boss indoctrinated?

I'm just starting PW and I'm already annoyed at such an important character to the franchise not even getting an introduction.

It seems Miller doesn't meet Cambell until after 1984. Which tells me that Cambell won't be relevant again until the end of MGS5. I get that Kojima doesn't like PO but I'd like a little more continuity. Even if he hates it just explain to me why Roy isn't with Snake and what happened to Raikov, Python, and Sokolov (Also Null unless he's relevant in MGS5)

If need be just tell us Python died in PO and Raikov/Sokolov died from CIA/KGB assassination. Just write them off. But don't give me loose ends.
---
Please say WHY you added me if you do add me or I will ignore you. PSN: Stryker105
#2jessevalePosted 7/10/2013 11:21:12 AM
Kaz and BB met only 2 years before PW, so no.

The San Heironymo mention in PW doesn't make sense. Like Snake Soup points out it's likely fourth wall breaking, Kojima literally telling you "so ignore that game, here's the real PSP entry."

I could be totally wrong, I just remember the conversation about how they met being 1972 when fighting in opposing militaries.
---
SE is a FUGPUSC, Yasumi Matsuno is brilliant, Tetsuya Nomura is my most treacherous foe.
inXile is the next big thing for true RPGs.
#3Patriarch105(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2013 11:29:33 AM
jessevale posted...

The San Heironymo mention in PW doesn't make sense. Like Snake Soup points out it's likely fourth wall breaking, Kojima literally telling you "so ignore that game, here's the real PSP entry."

I could be totally wrong, I just remember the conversation about how they met being 1972 when fighting in opposing militaries.

Well most of the game CAN be ignored. Very little is important or needs to be brought up again.

1) BB meets Roy
2) The idea for Outer Heaven
3) Ocelot gets half the Legacy
4) Ocelot and Zero create "The Patriots"

I'm not even sure how BB got down there just that Zero organized it as a way to flush out the CIA director to steal the legacy. And if Grey Fox is in MGS5 to some capacity they'll have to mention that they met before.

Not to mention part of PO was referenced in MGS4 a Kojima game.

You can't shake off the plot no matter how much Kojima hates it. Write off any loose ends quickly and move on thats the best way of dealing with PO.
---
Please say WHY you added me if you do add me or I will ignore you. PSN: Stryker105
#4johnny_rainbowsPosted 7/10/2013 3:07:48 PM
What
#5KillerSlawPosted 7/10/2013 3:58:02 PM
Why do people still act like Portable Ops had such a crap story when Peace Walker is sitting right on the shelf staring them in the face?
---
http://i.imgur.com/VXqqs.gif
#6Patriarch105(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2013 4:46:26 PM
KillerSlaw posted...
Why do people still act like Portable Ops had such a crap story when Peace Walker is sitting right on the shelf staring them in the face?

I'd like to apologize if I gave the impression that PO had a crap story. In reality the entire series is some of the worst writing I've ever experienced and at times has literally made me feel physically ill especially MGS2 and MGS4. PO's story was pretty minimal and probably the 2nd best story of any game up to MGS4 (I've yet to play PW or MGR:R) I say 2nd best because I do like MGS3 the best and PO gets points for not being filled with hours of pointless redundant dialogue.

To be fair though MOST of PO can be skipped as far as plot is concerned and the gameplay is pretty awful in my opinion. Outside of what I listed earlier what really needs to be kept info wise?

1) BB meets Roy
5) Foxhound was created
6) Presumably BB's army in PW is the one he made from PO.
7) BB's 2nd meeting with Null.
8) Python, Raikov, and Sokolov all live through the events.

And really as far as the main plot is concerned only Ocelot's side of things needs to be carried over.
---
#7eric_otnessPosted 7/10/2013 5:21:20 PM(edited)
jessevale posted...

If I remember correctly, a lot of the briefing files mentioned Operation Snake Eater, many of which from Kaz, so I'd assume he just was told off-screen.

And I doubt that's one of Kojima's trademark 4th wall breaks. Kojima's style is more in tune with stuff like Campbell giving some lectures on how to avoid combat, and then mentioning its not a shoot-em-up game, or Miller's 6th Sense codec call in MGS.

Patriarch105 posted...
KillerSlaw posted...

I'd like to apologize if I gave the impression that PO had a crap story. In reality the entire series is some of the worst writing I've ever experienced and at times has literally made me feel physically ill especially MGS2 and MGS4. PO's story was pretty minimal and probably the 2nd best story of any game up to MGS4 (I've yet to play PW or MGR:R) I say 2nd best because I do like MGS3 the best and PO gets points for not being filled with hours of pointless redundant dialogue.

To be fair though MOST of PO can be skipped as far as plot is concerned and the gameplay is pretty awful in my opinion. Outside of what I listed earlier what really needs to be kept info wise?

1) BB meets Roy
5) Foxhound was created
6) Presumably BB's army in PW is the one he made from PO.
7) BB's 2nd meeting with Null.
8) Python, Raikov, and Sokolov all live through the events.

And really as far as the main plot is concerned only Ocelot's side of things needs to be carried over.

Yeah, I can get how MGS2 might be bad (I don't mean Raiden, more the overall message, especially with the ending. It almost seemed like it was ripped from the Architect speech in The Matrix Reloaded, and I'm saying its almost like that because Reloaded didn't even come out until two years after MGS2.). Plus, MGS2 was really tasteless in its implication that the United States government was orchestrating terrorist attacks on our own soil considering 9/11 had recently happened at the time (yeah, they deleted most of the more explicit portions, but the implications via the Patriots were still present). MGS3 was pretty good as well, plus they actually did make sure to actually research Cold War history that wasn't left wing before adding it in. For example: During the briefing with Zero, Zero mentioned that the nukes in Turkey were obsolete and were planning to get rid of them. The part about the Turkish nukes being obsolete was actually correct, at least according to A Patriot's History of the United States: From Columbus's Great Discovery to the War on Terror. It certainly was better researched than some of the history in Peace Walker (let's leave it at that).
#8Patriarch105(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2013 6:26:11 PM
If I had to list the quality of story from best to worst....

MGS3
MG2
MG1
MGSPO
MGS1
MGS4
MGS2

I've yet to play MGSPW or MGR:R

I would point out only MGS2 and 4 I felt had terrible stories.

I've been marathoning the series and MGS2 made my feel physically ill after playing MGS1 right before. I was able to accept all the nonsense in MGS1 fine but as soon as I played MGS2 and got to President Johnson I got sick to my stomach listening to all that nonsense.
---
#9alexg1989Posted 7/10/2013 6:45:43 PM
MPO is not canon... THATS a FACT!

inb4riddleboxtakesitliterallyandwritesanessayaboutme
---
PSN ID: psvitagamer89 ~~ God is fake, isn't it obvious?
Read my blog: http://www.artisticexpression.wordpress.com
#10Patriarch105(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2013 6:59:18 PM(edited)
alexg1989 posted...
MPO is not canon... THATS a FACT!

inb4riddleboxtakesitliterallyandwritesanessayaboutme

I just like to think it's mostly irrelevant to anything else happening.
---