I wonder if this game will actually be more serious

#1SterlingFoxPosted 10/30/2013 10:40:39 AM
Like MGS4 was supposed to be more serious than is predecessors too. In a way it was, dealing with the nature of war, psychological problems, and mortality, but it also had all the nonsense too. With Johnny's entire character, Ocelot's mustache twirling cartoon villainy, Mount Snakemore's existence, etc. so it didn't really seem darker most of the time.

So I wonder if this game is actually going to be darker, or if they're just going to say it is and it'll end up being largely the same tone.
---
Underwater Spartans:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUhjsL2tOkA
#2kill_distroyPosted 10/30/2013 10:48:48 AM
SterlingFox posted...
Like MGS4 was supposed to be more serious than is predecessors too. In a way it was, dealing with the nature of war, psychological problems, and mortality, but it also had all the nonsense too. With Johnny's entire character, Ocelot's mustache twirling cartoon villainy, Mount Snakemore's existence, etc. so it didn't really seem darker most of the time.

So I wonder if this game is actually going to be darker, or if they're just going to say it is and it'll end up being largely the same tone.

Fair question. Kojima said on his twitter a while back that even though they're targeting a much serious tone than before, he still couldn't help including a lot of jokes and silly stuff.

I personally think that this game will indeed be a darker game than its predecessors, but that might only be for the main story itself.
---
Words That Kill
GT: Risev / PSN: RisevQ8
#3high_contrast87Posted 10/30/2013 10:56:43 AM
I think the very fact this supposedly will show Big Boss finally making the transformation into a villain will give it a darker and more serious tone - if it indeed lives up to that promise. I personally found the ending speech of chapter 5 in PW by Big Boss to be pretty dark and haunting, so I have high hopes.
#4tonicPosted 10/30/2013 12:23:36 PM
I actually think it will because I get the impression that Kojima may emerge us in some of the actual history of what was going on in Africa at that time. The genocide, the wars etc. He will still have his jokes but I think the seriousness of that time will cause a heavier tone than we have experienced.

Hopefully
#5kaiserunitedPosted 10/30/2013 12:34:40 PM
I hope so.
#6wh0_kn0wsPosted 10/30/2013 5:19:29 PM
it confuses me why anyone gets up in arms about snakemore, it was on the screen for about 1.70 seconds.

as for seriousness, i think the trailers, especially the red band, tells us what this game is going to be like. i don't think any of the games besides mgs4 are really over the top goofy, and we should all know what mgs4 is by now. this one may be as serious, if not more, than mgs1 and 2.
---
it's simple. just be nice.
#7fLying_FoXXXPosted 10/31/2013 1:14:59 AM
I'd say the themes and the way they'll be handled will be serious. And the hidden metaphors will be as serious as ever.

But let's be honest, guys, we're talking about MGS. Don't expect the whole game to be super serious like it was written by Tom Clancy and directed by Michael Mann.
#8Biggest_BossPosted 10/31/2013 2:21:05 AM
fLying_FoXXX posted...
I'd say the themes and the way they'll be handled will be serious. And the hidden metaphors will be as serious as ever.

But let's be honest, guys, we're talking about MGS. Don't expect the whole game to be super serious like it was written by Tom Clancy and directed by Michael Mann.

True, however some of things like having love boxes, AI operated Metal Gears, nanomachines, Raiden stopping a million ton ship by himself, etc. are a little too much.

MGS always takes itself seriously even in over-the-top moments, like in MGS2 when Snake tells Raiden he has infinite ammo and here you are just supposed to go with it.
---
PSN: Sleeq
#9asbsandPosted 10/31/2013 6:48:20 PM
I got into the series last year starting with MGS3 on my 3DS and then I bought MGS4 and saw LPs on the internet for MGS1 and 2, and I have to say, darker tone or not, the humors, the nonsense and the ludicrous stuff is the reason I love the series.

I laughed my way through almost every scene of MGS4 because everything is so over-the-top and Kojima made those history-lessons way too indulging. I think I got about half of what I was told in that game. I know there's actually a really nice story in there but I just love playing these games for the laugh because Kojima is so liberal with putting all sorts of crazy things into his games.

I really hope MGSV will be as funny, and if not, I hope the campaign will be as awesome as in MGS3. What we've seen so far looks excellent.
---
There's no such thing as a "nitpick". Subtle details are what seperates a great game from an amazing game.
3DS Friend Code: 2578-3323-8264
#10eric_otnessPosted 10/31/2013 8:24:05 PM
high_contrast87 posted...
I think the very fact this supposedly will show Big Boss finally making the transformation into a villain will give it a darker and more serious tone - if it indeed lives up to that promise. I personally found the ending speech of chapter 5 in PW by Big Boss to be pretty dark and haunting, so I have high hopes.

Assuming Kojima has the will to do so, that is. Honestly, he effectively made Solid Snake into a psychopath in MGS even when he had absolutely no real reason to do so (I'm not kidding. Just look at what Psycho Mantis, Liquid Snake, Naomi Hunter, heck, even Roy Campbell (during the briefing) and Meryl Silverburgh basically said as much to Snake when interacting with him, and the last one was especially odd as she neither was an enemy of Snake (Liquid and Mantis) nor did she have any grudge against Snake despite technically being an ally (Naomi).). If he could ruin Snake's character like that in MGS (Honestly, a guy who "loves life" would NOT take any joy in killing, which is something he clearly did in MGS, enough for Psycho Mantis to read it in and even Meryl to note and Snake effectively admit to Naomi), he can most certainly do the same to Big Boss.

And honestly, the only way that speech is going to actually be dark and haunting is if he plagiarized Weiss the Immaculate's cleansing speech from Dirge of Cerberus, since that's the only way to ensure he is villainous as a result.