How do these lensflare indicators work

#1tonicPosted 11/1/2013 5:03:07 PM
Here is a pic of the lens flare indicators that seem to go into effect when Snake either stops and kneels or when he is flat on the floor.

http://g15.picoodle.com/ltd/img15/5/11/1/pitcha/f_sd1w_36b_ua4yj.jpg

There is also a sound effect that you hear when they are activated. But my question is how do they help you. It appears the there a 4 lens flares because there are 4 tagged enemies but what do they tell you about the enemies location relative to yours. Is each flare associated with a specific enemy? Why are some wider than others or positioned differently from others. You can also see that the flares tilt as Snake crawls up and down. How do you all explain it? You can see it in motion here:

http://youtu.be/bRXD_ZVDh50
#2Gr3gSolidusPosted 11/1/2013 5:42:18 PM
Lens flares generated from the SOURCE lets you know if it is possible for you to be spotted by it,not every little flare on the screen.Also, tagged enemies do not generate lens flares since they are not made of light.
#3kill_distroyPosted 11/1/2013 7:47:31 PM
I can't take a look at it to make sure now, but from what I understand, this is how it works:

Lens Flares getting bigger means a higher chance of being spotted. They start really thin and light, to indicate that there is a possibility someone might spot you, and get bigger the higher the probability of you getting spotted.

As for the sound effects, I think it's just associated with the lens flares appearing.
---
Words That Kill
GT: Risev / PSN: RisevQ8
#4DarkGam3rPosted 11/1/2013 9:04:32 PM
I assume that they work just like the Threat Ring in MGS4. The threat ring intensifies its pulse in the direction of a nearby guard. The lens flare seem to work the same way, except that they activate on far away guards as well (the guard on the watchtower).

Their purpose is to help players detect guards on the screen that may be difficult to see.

Imagine the final Perfect Stealth extra op in Peace Walker, you have to sneak through a forest filled with guards camouflaged with the environment, like The End. The guards have an extremely easy time spotting you because they usually see you before you see them.
The lens flare's purpose is to prevent a situation where you instantly learn a guard's position via "!". It gives you a chance to act.
---
As gamers get older there's an expectation for games to mature with us, but the fact remains that simple fun with friends will never go out of style
#5tonic(Topic Creator)Posted 11/2/2013 7:49:22 AM
Gr3gSolidus posted...
Lens flares generated from the SOURCE lets you know if it is possible for you to be spotted by it,not every little flare on the screen.Also, tagged enemies do not generate lens flares since they are not made of light.

I hear what you are saying about the lens flare emitted from the sources of light, but the lens flare I am referring to is the 4 horizontal lines of light that are shown behind Snake. The appear when he crouching and remains still for a while, also when he crawls. You can see them changing as Snake crawls the uneven surface. They obviously have some significance, I just can figure out why the change as Snake moves.
#6kill_distroyPosted 11/2/2013 10:44:21 AM
tonic posted...
Gr3gSolidus posted...

I hear what you are saying about the lens flare emitted from the sources of light, but the lens flare I am referring to is the 4 horizontal lines of light that are shown behind Snake. The appear when he crouching and remains still for a while, also when he crawls. You can see them changing as Snake crawls the uneven surface. They obviously have some significance, I just can figure out why the change as Snake moves.

Maybe they're connected to the sound Snake is generating as he is moving as well?
---
Words That Kill
GT: Risev / PSN: RisevQ8
#7Gr3gSolidusPosted 11/2/2013 5:17:39 PM
tonic posted...
Gr3gSolidus posted...

I just can figure out why the change as Snake moves.

If you pay attention you'll see the lines are generated from the searchlight directly facing Snake and disappear as the light shifts to his left.The flare and sound effect give you a clear indication that you have a high probability of being spotted.The guards do not generate lens flares.
#8fLying_FoXXXPosted 11/4/2013 1:03:43 AM
What happens to the lens flares in day time? Are they still visible in some kind of way? Or is it harder to sneak during the day because of their absence?