Interesting facts about The Boss from Metal Gear wiki

#41Good_FatmanPosted 1/15/2014 1:10:05 AM
Lionheart2211 posted...
I never liked the boss.

Me neither. And the reverence for her in subsequent installments makes me hate her even more. I actually think she's the most ridiculous of the Cobras (not that I dislike the Cobras), since unlike people with amazing fighting abilities, like The Fear, it doesn't make sense for some dumb blonde to become a war superhero...
---
I am a good version of Fatman! I fight AGAINST the Patriots! Laugh and grow fat!
#42eric_otnessPosted 1/15/2014 3:24:39 AM
Good_Fatman posted...
Lionheart2211 posted...
I never liked the boss.

Me neither. And the reverence for her in subsequent installments makes me hate her even more. I actually think she's the most ridiculous of the Cobras (not that I dislike the Cobras), since unlike people with amazing fighting abilities, like The Fear, it doesn't make sense for some dumb blonde to become a war superhero...

I wouldn't really call The Boss a "dumb blonde," but yeah, I kinda see your point. Heck, women generally weren't even allowed on the front lines at the time, so its doubtful she would have even led a unit, much less almost single-handedly win World War II. At best, women with her design were used as models for encouragement posters like Rosie the Riveter for the women at home. Like Kojima, I'm surprised right now that The Boss even became popular.
#43ninetyfourhoursPosted 1/15/2014 7:26:52 AM
Quote:ninetyfourhours posted...
Here's something for the haters to chew on.

The Boss still remains the single most important character in MGS, as well as my personal favorite.

andherewego.gif

That's not really a controversial thing to say...

@SterlingFox

Yeah but it sure does get some jimmies rustled around here.
---
GT: butsizzle
#44Robin_MaskPosted 1/15/2014 10:40:34 AM
Tepig_Bacon posted...
You clearly have no idea what misogyny is. When people say they are "homophobic" it doesn't really mean they're afraid of gay people and will cower when they come close. It means they spew angry speech and disrespectful opinions.

Misogyny isn't a holocaust for women. It can take many forms and one of those forms is assigning women stereotypes and defining them depending on if they fit those arbitrary guidelines and rules that you made up in your head. When DarkSymbiote says that The Boss "doesn't behave like a woman" he may not realize that he's denying a female character of her own agency. He's disregarding her as a woman because of his pre-conceived stereotypes of how women should act to be considered such.

Oh man.

I just love how words like misogyny and homophobic are used wrong and thus why I can't take them seriously most of the time.

Someone says "I just don't like homosexuals..."

Some douche replies "OMG YOU ARE HOMOPHOBIC!"

Like, seriously?

Now saying that The Boss doesn't behave like a woman, that's misogyny?
---
Support! http://www.wayforward.com/shantae-half-genie-hero
#45CalintaresPosted 1/15/2014 11:13:14 AM
I think one problem is that Zero has close to no screentime, never says anything about The Boss and doesn't seem to care all that much about her through MGS3. Then somehow he's turned into her biggest fanboy with absolutely no explanation.

In fact, Zero is one of the stupidest things in the series, and he makes The Boss worse in the process.
---
Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do and die.
#46eric_otnessPosted 1/15/2014 11:19:24 AM
Calintares posted...
I think one problem is that Zero has close to no screentime, never says anything about The Boss and doesn't seem to care all that much about her through MGS3. Then somehow he's turned into her biggest fanboy with absolutely no explanation.

In fact, Zero is one of the stupidest things in the series, and he makes The Boss worse in the process.

Actually, he does have a hint of fanboyishness in MGS3, but its never made directly clear in any of the main scenes: You have to call Zero frequently during Operation Snake Eater regarding The Boss's defection, where he admitted he was very shocked that The Boss of all people would defect, as he valued her more than even his own family.
#47high_contrast87Posted 1/15/2014 2:28:41 PM
Big Boss and Zero being referred to as "two young men" who lost their mother figure by Paz was ridiculous considering Zero was older than The Boss anyway.

Zero's devotion to The Boss would have been better explained if, say, Kojima revealed he and her had been romantically involved in some way back during the war. Trying to make out that Zero's relationship with The Boss had been just like Big Boss's just didn't work. Big Boss and Zero are of very different ages, if she is the mother figure then it makes more sense for Big Boss to be the 'son' and Zero the former flame who always held a candle for her long after they parted ways and The Boss met The Sorrow.
#48mgs_4life5150Posted 1/26/2014 4:33:56 AM
SterlingFox posted...
ninetyfourhours posted...
Here's something for the haters to chew on.

The Boss still remains the single most important character in MGS, as well as my personal favorite.

andherewego.gif

That's not really a controversial thing to say...

Although Big Boss is more important than The Boss. She's his influence up until Peace Walker, but his actions and life are what the series is really about.
Using a music comparison, The Boss is like the exgirlfriend while Big Boss is like the musician who writes a song about her. The musician playing the song, the instrument he played it on, and the song he wrote are still his doing and are more important than the song's inspiration.

probably should let this topic die but i wont for two reason i like boss and the fact your kinda right with your music analogy.

but some musicians like the dude from poison(who i hate both the band and the guy) thanks his ex girlfriend everyday he wakes up, because without her leaving him he would've never wrote every rose has it thorn his band would died (because 99% of people were doing power ballads) and he wouldn't be a multimillionaire (only reason i know this is from interviews he has done)
---
NOT REMOVING UNTIL MGS staring the boss is released
MG Meryl would be cool too as long as there is NO akiba
#49NikkolasKingPosted 1/26/2014 8:49:31 AM
Good_Fatman posted...
Lionheart2211 posted...
I never liked the boss.

Who is "The Greatest Soldier of the 20th Century"? Is it the towering musclebound Russian who can punch through RPG-proof tanks? Is it the guy with frickin' anime speed who can dodge bullets without even appearing to move? No, it's Big Boss. Does Big Boss have superpowers like that? No. But he's still the best.

Does Solid Snake have the ability to hold up a giant mech's leg or survive a helicopter crash without absolutely no injury or wield a Vulcan cannon without the thing reducing him to hamburger from the recoil? Nope, nope, nope. But he's still the superior warrior.

Then there's Raiden in MGS2, defeating a body-reading immortal who can literally dance around automatic gunfire, as well as "the perfect clone of the perfect warrior" who is further enhanced by a power suit.

The Boss commands a unit of superpowered freaks because she's just better, no different than how Big Boss and Solid Snake are just better. The series is entirely about underdogs; about comparatively normal people who beat the unbeatable simply due to skill and willpower.

And let's apply your reasoning to another team - why was Liquid in charge of FOXHOUND and not Mnatis? Mantis who could destroy a village with his mind alone when he was a child, and read everyone's thoughts and brainwash all the Genome Soldiers? Surely that's even more dsirable than Liquids Terminator-like endurance.

Quite frankly, I think everyone in this thread who believes that their definition of what is a good female character is the only valid one needs to shut the hell up and stop being so egotistcal.

BTW, did you know that Ripley frm Alien had no gender in the script? She could have been a man or a woman. I suggest reading this
http://www.btchflcks.com/2011/10/ellen-ripley-a-feminist-film-icon-battles-horrifying-aliens-and-patriarchy.html#.UuUrBbQo5W8

Now I love Olga because of her maternal instincts. Being a mother is one of the most beautiful things and it's part of why I have such adoration for the opposite sex. They have something special and angelic about them that we can never have. But the only thing that is "sexist" is when you have an over-abundance of one type of female depiction. The Boss is totally unlike any other woman in the series. Her ass isn't constantly being talked about, she isn't doing everything for her baby, etc.. She's just a soldier and is not defined by her gender, just like Ripley wasn't.

A lot of people would argue that it is not being massively feminine that makes a good female character, but showing that they are no different from men. The best female character to a lot of people is simply the best character period and their gender is irrelevant.
#50dantedeschain13Posted 1/26/2014 9:03:49 AM
I don't see how making The Boss feminine would have been a good thing. She was a hardcore soldier, she has killed a lot of people. Would her crying every time she shot someone and making sandwiches for the Cobras made her a better character?

Inb4misognycomments
---
F*** you, Desert Bluffs