Gray Fox is one step ahead of the hounds

#11tonic(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2014 1:18:15 PM
Please let's not get into an argument about canon here.

Some of the characteristic I would be looking for in Fox would be.

1. Cool minded i.e. composed, probably not very talkative

2. Possible use of blades

3. Loyalty to Big Boss for having saved him.

4. Agile and stealthy

5. Skilled warrior who comes alive when on the battalefield

Do you see the above traits in any character so far
#12high_contrast87Posted 7/8/2014 1:27:02 PM
Thanks to Kojima the PO situation is as cloudy as ever if not more, far from validating it's canonicity he has described the question of whether it's canon as being difficult to answer. Which means no one can flat out say its canon anymore, because we know some of it certainly isn't and we have no clarification on what details aren't. It's best just to ignore line Koj does, it's no longer a part of the main storyline and it's events will almost certainly never be referenced again in the series.
#13riddlebox89Posted 7/8/2014 2:55:41 PM
high_contrast87 posted...
Thanks to Kojima the PO situation is as cloudy as ever if not more, far from validating it's canonicity he has described the question of whether it's canon as being difficult to answer. Which means no one can flat out say its canon anymore, because we know some of it certainly isn't and we have no clarification on what details aren't.

He didn't need to validate it's canonical status because he's already done so, several times before from recently right back to before PO was even released, it was advertised as a canon sequel to MGS3, even by Kojima himself, Kojima acknowledged it as canon right after Peace Walker was released and even now he has not said anything to contradict its status as canon.

Yes, he did say that some details are no longer canon, but he failed to go into specifics on that, which means all of it is canon until the specifics are gone into, not like it matters since the "The main story is canon but some details are not." is a term that can apply to every game in the franchise.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#14C_JenkinsPosted 7/8/2014 3:06:08 PM(edited)
Id like to see gray fox as just a regular soldier. The null thing was dumb IMO. Hopefully they ignore po. Besides a couple of scenes in mgs 4 it really isn't important.
#15Seifross2010Posted 7/8/2014 3:40:10 PM
riddlebox89 posted...
Seifross2010 posted...
until we found out that Chico's changed his name to Frank Yeager.

Jaeger*

And Chico being Fox wouldn't make any sense whatsoever as Fox is of Vietnamese and German descent whereas Chico is of Nicaraguan descent. inb4 "Kojima said there will be retcons!" No he didn't, he said there might be retcons, which is a statement of possibility, not a statement of fact.

Dave_Gahan posted...
He'll be a normal guy because PO wasn't canon

The core story is canon, but some details aren't.

Evidently Kojima disagrees with you because he himself advertised PO as canon and publicly acknowledged it as canon twice, once after Peace Walker was released and once quite recently. PO is canon, get used to it.

What details aren't may I ask? Oh wait, I'm sorry, Kojima didn't go into specifics on what he meant by that, which renders that comment completely irrelevant until he actually does go into specifics about it.

Whoops, yeah, Jaeger - but I was joking about Chico being Grey Fox.

Personally, I believe that PO is certainly canon, since there's literally no reason to believe it isn't - I just wish it wasn't, largely because of Null.
#16high_contrast87Posted 7/8/2014 4:12:30 PM
riddlebox89 posted...
high_contrast87 posted...
Thanks to Kojima the PO situation is as cloudy as ever if not more, far from validating it's canonicity he has described the question of whether it's canon as being difficult to answer. Which means no one can flat out say its canon anymore, because we know some of it certainly isn't and we have no clarification on what details aren't.

He didn't need to validate it's canonical status because he's already done so, several times before from recently right back to before PO was even released, it was advertised as a canon sequel to MGS3, even by Kojima himself, Kojima acknowledged it as canon right after Peace Walker was released and even now he has not said anything to contradict its status as canon.

Yes, he did say that some details are no longer canon, but he failed to go into specifics on that, which means all of it is canon until the specifics are gone into, not like it matters since the "The main story is canon but some details are not." is a term that can apply to every game in the franchise.

As far as I'm concerned only the basic outline of the story as devised by Kojima is actually canonical. I do not accept it as a part of the Big Boss saga (it's a trilogy and Kojima has said as much in an interview) and it's definitely not considered a part of the main saga. Kojima basically implies the event happened in the timeline, but the way the story is presented in the game clearly wasn't what he intended hence why it's been brushed under the carpet never to be referenced again. It holds the same status as Rising now in that you can pretend it never happened if you want to. It's story is completely irrelevant. Spin off.
#17funsational_onePosted 7/8/2014 8:09:00 PM
We'll know when we see him when he kills Naomi's parents.
---
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.
#18RickMoranisPosted 7/9/2014 1:39:01 AM
Like Riddle said , until TPP comes out. It's all canon. And even after it comes out, could all still be canon.

My guess however, is that really only Grey Fox's backstory stands a good chance at being retconned. Honestly the rest isn't even worth mentioning in the grand sceme of things. Did Sokolov really survive? Who gives a s*** really?
---
Moranis 3:16 says I just shrunk your ass!
#19x0nighthawk0xPosted 7/9/2014 2:57:12 AM
funsational_one posted...
We'll know when we see him when he kills Naomi's parents.

He has already done that during the Rhodesian civil war which ended in 1979, 5 years before TPP
#20high_contrast87Posted 7/9/2014 6:51:31 AM
RickMoranis posted...
Like Riddle said , until TPP comes out. It's all canon. And even after it comes out, could all still be canon.

My guess however, is that really only Grey Fox's backstory stands a good chance at being retconned. Honestly the rest isn't even worth mentioning in the grand sceme of things. Did Sokolov really survive? Who gives a s*** really?

It's not all canon though. Kojima said so. You can just as easily say that we can all pick and choose what parts are canon and which are not since Kojima never elaborated. MPOs events will never ever be referenced again in the series and the story of the game is totally irrelevant to the main plot of the series now. It's about as important as rising.