I still believe Chico is Quiet

#101F0XholePosted 7/24/2014 11:47:50 AM
INeedMGSHelp posted...
While I do find the attitude towards transgenders here absolutely sickening and downright ignorant, tests and research has shown that being gay isn't really inherent, its even possible for a person to become ''less gay'' and be attracted to the opposite gender.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/10637532/Being-homosexual-is-only-partly-due-to-gay-gene-research-finds.html
There is also another more comprehensive article i'll try to find, but essentially genes may have some kind of part but its mostly environmental, and that doesn't necessarily mean social or upbringing, anything that isn't straight out of birth.

I suppose that's not really surprising, really. Psychological training or trauma can make a person completely different. We see that sort of thing with Stockholm Syndrome, where a kidnapped victim grows a strong mental and emotional attachment with his/her captor. While all logic would suggest that the victim should find them revolting, they actually become psychologically dependent upon them.

Granted, that's a rather extreme case. I suppose a more appropriate one would be someone who has depression but still acts as a productive member of society and maintains healthy social relationships. While the genetic factor is there for them to be depressed, they can still live a very happy life and, at least partly, overcome their genetic predisposition. But it still doesn't take away the depression, and it requires an on-going, active effort. I know this from experience; my family has a long history with depression.

Regardless of all that, the article does state that a gene exists that makes one more likely to be gay, which is something I was wrong about earlier. Thanks for the info! I suppose, as with anything, sexual orientation is at least partly inherent. Hell, I don't know. As a straight male, it's not an issue I've ever had to deal with, but I can't bring myself to judge someone based on orientation alone. I don't see them as flawed or sick, and it's not something that I feel needs to be cured. I like women, and they like men. If that's the only difference between us, then we have a lot more in common than that which we don't.

And one quote stuck out to me in that article that reinforces my general point:

Dr Bailey said: “Sexual orientation has nothing to do with choice."
#102copenhagenLongCPosted 7/24/2014 12:46:00 PM
F0Xhole posted...

That psuedo science "doctor" is wrong
#103Solid_SnakettePosted 7/24/2014 12:57:37 PM
Why is this theory still a thing?
---
Kept you waiting, huh
#104F0XholePosted 7/24/2014 12:58:51 PM
copenhagenLongC posted...
F0Xhole posted...

Says the one naming themselves after chewing tobacco...
#105minifatPosted 7/24/2014 1:02:12 PM
Everyone here majored is psychology I see.
---
"brb making a new video about Skull Face and Big Boss as allies, because that idea isn't stupid anymore" - AngryGFAQer
#106x0nighthawk0xPosted 7/24/2014 2:03:02 PM
Solid_Snakette posted...

Better yet, why is this topic still a thing?
#107F0XholePosted 7/24/2014 3:12:12 PM
x0nighthawk0x posted...
Solid_Snakette posted...

Better yet, why is this topic still a thing?

To 500!
#108Ben ReillyPosted 7/24/2014 3:26:29 PM
F0Xhole posted...

Explain gay animals then?
---
Lebatard: "So what more could Derrick Rose actually have done to make you acknowledge that he had a bad game? Urinate on himself?"
#109KarpWhipPosted 7/24/2014 3:30:11 PM
Ben Reilly posted...
F0Xhole posted...

Animals aren't gay... they're just stupid.
---
"METAL RULES AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT: DIE." Paul Baloff
#110F0XholePosted 7/24/2014 3:34:17 PM
KarpWhip posted...
Ben Reilly posted...
F0Xhole posted...

Animals aren't gay... they're just stupid.

Homosexuality has been seen in over 1500 species.