a lot of fans complain about MGS4's ending... *spoilers*

#11Robin_MaskPosted 7/29/2014 10:43:02 AM
eric_otness posted...
Robin_Mask posted...
eric_otness posted...
There are two problems with that analysis:

1. Metal Gear 2 had exactly the same issue you addressed, yet they contradicted that. Heck, MGS had the same issue as well with Solid Snake.

2. Drebin's comments to Otacon made pretty clear that that's NOT what's going to happen. Most of the soldiers are braindamaged and not going to find much rest anytime soon thanks to SOP's shutdown, the entire world is most likely immensely broke from the Patriots' death, comparable to Weimar Germany, Drebin intended to exploit the Patriots' demise to basically make a huge profit regarding what is implied to be current unrestricted warfare, even with Sunny's modifications, and he implies that the UN will effectively become the successors to the Patriots. It's not a happy end at all.

Except I don't care about the OG MG games because their story and detail is hardly used, the only things that are always mentioned are Big Boss and Gray Fox losing to Solid Snake.

You're over-analyzing my words when I made them to be simple. The only characters I care about are EVERY important character in the story, Snake and friends, Meryl and Squad and Raiden and his family. They've been through deep crap and some had to make sacrifices like Campbell even if it meant pissing off Meryl but he kept Rose and her kid alive. Sunny never lived a normal life. Raiden has always lived a crappy life, let's not bring MGR into this either. Since MGS1, Otacon has been with Snake and even a nice guy like him got branded a terrorist.

Snake is going to end up dying in a year at best, even without FOXDIE mutating, and it's going to be a very painful death especially when he is literally decomposing at the genetic level. As far as Otacon, he hacked into various servers and was likely to have committed cyberterrorism. And BTW, the kind of stuff Drebin stated would directly apply to them or even their descendants. The implications of what Drebin was talking about were not good at all. Look past the bit about their superficially having a happy end, and actually listen to what Drebin was saying. Heck, even without Rising, Raiden's effectively a cyborg, and he's probably going to not be able to find a job, as even Drebin pointed out that America, although to a far lesser extent than the rest of the world, is basically broke enough to give up unilateralism. The only thing they succeeded in is basically making the world even worse off than before, or at best not actually having it be any different than before, which isn't a good thing at all considering what groups such as the Philosophers and Patriots did. Heck, Drebin even pointed out that it was ripe for a takeover from the UN.

Eh, I don't go into that much detail.

Snake is a clone and after all that crap, he doesn't mind either.

What I do love, is how it warns the real world of such a thing like the UN.
---
Solo and co-op player only.
#12The_Ivory_ManPosted 7/29/2014 10:45:08 AM
First the original ending was completely awful.

What the Mei Ling troops swing over and blast them right then and there?

Solid and Otacon were well known and with the information leak would be known as heroes.

Secondly the Drebin comments were great, with them questioning what would happen with the fall of the Patriots, showed it might not all be happy or it might be. It was up for the world to make it happen.

I feel the game got a little back with the ending compared to the awful acts 3 and 4.
1 and 2 were great aside from a few things (Johnny being in your face)
Johnny completely changes his character in the game though.

Rising did well with a post MGS4 story.
#13Seifross2010Posted 7/29/2014 2:43:32 PM
My biggest problem was that I had a hard time believing Snake could kill all those people, but then not be able to kill himself. It seemed a bit out of character to me.
#14The_Ivory_ManPosted 7/29/2014 3:23:02 PM
Seifross2010 posted...
My biggest problem was that I had a hard time believing Snake could kill all those people, but then not be able to kill himself. It seemed a bit out of character to me.

That was pretty bad.
#15hooleyxdooleyPosted 7/29/2014 3:34:00 PM
My ideal ending would have been getting rid of the wedding altogether, then combining the Big Boss/Snake ending with the original idea. Maybe after Big Boss dies in the cemetary, a chopper descends and (not sure who) have Otacon with them, they take Snake, and they're both convicted as terrorists and executed.
#16RevoIver_OcelotPosted 7/29/2014 4:17:29 PM
would have been cool to see Solid Snake shoot himself, then the camera pans up and you see Big Boss walking toward his dead body. Then the credits roll.
---
HOUSTON TEXANS: RYAN FITZMAGIC ERA- 2014-2015
#17BobbyCreekPosted 7/29/2014 4:26:32 PM
if they just cut the entire part with BB and ended it with snake *shooting* himself itd have been fine
#18Seifross2010Posted 7/29/2014 6:03:31 PM
hooleyxdooley posted...
My ideal ending would have been getting rid of the wedding altogether, then combining the Big Boss/Snake ending with the original idea. Maybe after Big Boss dies in the cemetary, a chopper descends and (not sure who) have Otacon with them, they take Snake, and they're both convicted as terrorists and executed.

Yeah, I agree. I think a more martyr-ish ending would have fit Snake's character a lot more.
#19ss3jcb448Posted 7/29/2014 8:52:13 PM
One of my least favorite parts about the ending was the wedding. I mean, I'm glad Meryl/Campbell/Rat Patrol (who even cared about them?) got thematic closure and such, but it was just all so....silly.

I actually loved the very end with SS/BB, but I know some people didn't like that part.

I like to think that Snake gets to try to live out his days without a gun, but who knows if that actually happened? Given MGS1's sappy ending, anything's possible. I imagine he passed shortly after the ending though, I guess.

Also, another part that literally makes me CRINGE every time I watch it is in Raiden's ending. "It's like a scene from Beauty and the Beast" ....*shudder*.....
---
The hunt is on, Kaz, and the whole world is on our tail. Assemble the men.
#20Wiiplayer111Posted 7/29/2014 8:59:19 PM
solidus0 posted...
Also, would have liked to see Kojima's original intented ending (at least as additional content) where Snake and Otagon were tried as traitors, then hung.

I would have hated that ending so much. It does not fit their characters at all to give up and turn themselves in, especially for crimes they didn't commit.

I loved the ending. Wedding was cheezy, but what wedding isn't? Cqc hug rocked my socks.

Considering they had to close a lot of stories at once, I think it was pretty well done.
---
Look at you.... sticking to the plan.
didyouknowgaming.com