So if TPP doesn't have Solid Snake he will have the third most apperances in MG.

#1The_Ivory_ManPosted 8/6/2014 7:58:45 AM
Big Boss will have 7. MG1, MG2, MGS3, MGSPO, MGS4, MGSPW, and MGSV

Ocelot will have 6 MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, MGSPO, MGS4, and MGSV

Solid Snake currently has 5 MG1, MG2, MGS1, MGS2, and MGS4.

Gray Fox will also be tied with Solid Snake (timeline wise he should appear in this game) MG1, MG2, MGS1, PO, MGSV.

Thought it was an interesting fact.
#2kill_distroyPosted 8/6/2014 8:03:02 AM
I think it has a lot to do with the fact that Kojima enjoys the "grey" characters a lot more than the "hero" type like Solid Snake, and I share that with him.
---
Words That Kill
GT: Risev / PSN: RiseQ8
#3The_Ivory_Man(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 8:19:55 AM
kill_distroy posted...
I think it has a lot to do with the fact that Kojima enjoys the "grey" characters a lot more than the "hero" type like Solid Snake, and I share that with him.

I can see that.

I do want one more Solid Snake game (he doesn't have to be the protagonist just a major character)
#4kill_distroyPosted 8/6/2014 8:26:52 AM
BTW: We shouldn't dismiss Solid Snake for MGSV yet.
---
Words That Kill
#5SpifffsterPosted 8/6/2014 8:36:24 AM
First I want a consolidated MG remake, then there should be a game where you play as Akiba and/ or Meryl, where Old Snake is still a major character, but refers to himself simply as "David"(others calling him "Old David"). after the Akiba/Meryl game, a game about The Boss' training up to WWII, with WWII being the Phantom Painish arc of the story. Both parts featuring co(bra)-ops. I also think that teen Big Boss should make appearances in the Boss game.
#6eric_otnessPosted 8/6/2014 9:03:10 AM(edited)
kill_distroy posted...

Yeah, actually, Solid Snake was more closer to "grey" than an actual "hero" type. He may have been a hero type in MG1 and MG2, but from MGS onward, he was about as grey as one can get (Even his friends commented that he was effectively a psychopath, to say nothing of what Liquid Snake and Psycho Mantis stated of him, MGS2 has the pretty blatant implication that Snake and Otacon were engaging in terrorist acts, something Snake doesn't even deny when Raiden pointed that out, and Kojima even referred to Solid Snake as being a monster in the MGS3 commentaries). Ironically, Naked Snake in MGS3 was actually closer to a hero character than Solid Snake was.
#7The_Ivory_Man(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 9:08:38 AM
kill_distroy posted...
BTW: We shouldn't dismiss Solid Snake for MGSV yet.

Oh of course not.

I doubt it will go farther than the after credit bit/epilogue however
#8high_contrast87Posted 8/6/2014 9:15:32 AM
eric_otness posted...
kill_distroy posted...

Yeah, actually, Solid Snake was more closer to "grey" than an actual "hero" type. He may have been a hero type in MG1 and MG2, but from MGS onward, he was about as grey as one can get (Even his friends commented that he was effectively a psychopath, to say nothing of what Liquid Snake and Psycho Mantis stated of him, MGS2 has the pretty blatant implication that Snake and Otacon were engaging in terrorist acts, something Snake doesn't even deny when Raiden pointed that out, and Kojima even referred to Solid Snake as being a monster in the MGS3 commentaries). Ironically, Naked Snake in MGS3 was actually closer to a hero character than Solid Snake was.

Nah in MGS1 and MGS2 Solid Snake was still a hero type. Their "terrorist acts" were to rid the world of Metal Gear, that can only be a good thing. And Solid Snake was no psychopath if you think otherwise I don't think you know what actually constitutes a psychopath. He was a battle hardened and bitter soldier in MGS1, desensitised from killing due to his experiences but in no way a psychopath. Why would a psychopath be so concerned about stopping a nuclear launch and saving a ton of innocent lives.
#9eric_otnessPosted 8/6/2014 9:41:58 AM
high_contrast87 posted...
eric_otness posted...
kill_distroy posted...

Nah in MGS1 and MGS2 Solid Snake was still a hero type. Their "terrorist acts" were to rid the world of Metal Gear, that can only be a good thing. And Solid Snake was no psychopath if you think otherwise I don't think you know what actually constitutes a psychopath. He was a battle hardened and bitter soldier in MGS1, desensitised from killing due to his experiences but in no way a psychopath. Why would a psychopath be so concerned about stopping a nuclear launch and saving a ton of innocent lives.

Yeah, and people thought Communism was a good thing as well, with several decent people even supporting them. Doesn't mean that it is, and terrorist acts are wrong regardless of motives. And BTW, Snake admitted to Raiden that they were terrorist acts. Terrorist acts involve trying to use fear and terror to achieve a political goal, including killing.

And yes, Solid Snake in MGS1 was indeed a Psychopath. Meryl mentioned it to be the case, as did Naomi (with Snake even agreeing with her), Roy Campbell at one point, heck, Psycho Mantis and even Liquid Snake basically stating this as well (and warning bells should go off when a person who reads minds and pasts actually states he is one and possibly even worse than his brother). The depiction in MGS1 was not that of a desensitized, bitter soldier. Ghost Babel Solid Snake was far closer to that depiction than MGS1 Snake (heck, even actually having remorse for his actions in Metal Gear in that game), heck, Raiden in MGS2 was closer in depiction to a desensitized, bitter soldier than the canon Solid Snake was. And considering Hideo Kojima explicitly stated that Solid Snake was a monster in his commentary for MGS3, even Kojima acknowledges this (and it's not even a throwaway comment either, as he was specifically mentioning the differences between Naked Snake in MGS3 and Solid Snake).

And Dexter also stops crimes on a regular basis, yet he is clinically diagnosed as a psychopath. As is Hannibal Lecter (especially in the new NBC series where he is actually helping solve crimes), and heck, Patrick Jane was even mentioned to be a potential psychopath in one episode of The Mentalist. Gregory House, while not quite a detective who stops crimes, does something similar on House by trying to diagnose victims through a series of trial and error events, and is even implied at times to be a sociopath as a result. Also, the Inglourious Basterds from the movie of the same name tried to take down Nazis, who definitely can be labeled as very evil, yet they were also shown to be extremely sociopathic monsters themselves, with even Tarantino commenting they were that. A sociopath who aids people with his sociopathic issues is common enough that there's even a trope name for it. It's called "sociopathic hero" (as much of an oxymoron as that is).
#10kill_distroyPosted 8/6/2014 10:42:29 AM
Solid Snake is the "hero" character regardless of some of the things he did. In MG1 and 2, he was following government orders to rid the world of Outer Heaven and the threat of nukes. In MGS1, he was very much doing the same. In MGS2, he may have been acting on his own and considered a terrorist, but what he did he did to help the world and lessen the threat of nukes. In MGS4, he was just fighting to stop Liquid and stop the Patriots from controlling the world.

So yeah, even though he is heartless at times and others around him call him a psycopath (which he isn't probably considering he only attacks and kills those stopping him from completing the mission, he never crosses the morally grey area other characters in the franchise do like Big Boss, Ocelot, and Gray Fox.

Heck even Raiden ends up doing worse things than Solid Snake in Rising.
---
Words That Kill