Death should be incredibly punishing

#1enewburnPosted 9/2/2012 10:21:25 AM
Anybody here ever play Diablo 2 or 3? You could create a Hardcore character who, if killed, would automatically be deleted, undoing all of your progress with him or her. Death, in other words, was actually final. I've never played Hardcore in either game, but they've got their own little elitist sub-community that tries to out-badass everyone else by getting through the game on the highest difficulty on characters who only get one shot at life.

I think Lightning Returns should have that as an option. Create a save profile that can't be copied, and if you die, the game deletes your one save file. Watch as the hardcore community goes nuts trying to beat the game with a Hardcore character on an NCU run, for extra awesome points. The mode would add a lot of great tension to the gameplay, assumign the game is sufficiently difficult to begin with. Multiple difficulty modes would also be nice.

Since we have a lot more control over what Lightning actually does (free movement, blocking, etc.) the game probably won't be as cheap as the first game sometimes could be. Skillful players ought to have a shot at beating the mode without needing to rely on occasional streaks of blind luck.
#2kupo1705Posted 9/2/2012 10:22:44 AM
Nope.
Health will restore after every battle.
Died? No problem! Just restart and you'll re spawn right where you died.
#3shinigami_mattPosted 9/2/2012 10:23:19 AM
No thanks, that's extremely annoying. If I buy a game, I want to finish it. I don't want to get to the final boss just so I can die and start over.

From the butthurt and crying on this board, I'd say most people don't want to go through the game once.
---
Go then, there are other worlds than these. - The Gunslinger
#4enewburn(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2012 10:25:06 AM
Obviously, the replay option would be disabled in the mode. No getting around it.

And to the above poster: I said it should be an option. Should even be reasonably easy to integrate into the game. All it'd take is a day or two of programming and a few more days of playtesting to make sure it works.
#5MagiusNecrosPosted 9/2/2012 10:27:38 AM
Death should be what it has been for a long time.

You die. You get game over screen. Reload last save.

Not hard to get.
---
Like Roleplaying? Join http://s1.zetaboards.com/Espada_of_Alexandria/index/
Official GILGAMESH/BARBATOS/MAGNUS of every Gamefaqs Board
#6shinigami_mattPosted 9/2/2012 10:28:21 AM
enewburn posted...
Obviously, the replay option would be disabled in the mode. No getting around it.

And to the above poster: I said it should be an option. Should even be reasonably easy to integrate into the game. All it'd take is a day or two of programming and a few more days of playtesting to make sure it works.

It would be an option I wouldn't use. Unless the game actually turned out to be amazing.
---
#7kupo1705Posted 9/2/2012 10:31:05 AM
MagiusNecros posted...
Death should be what it has been for a long time.

You die. You get game over screen. Reload last save.

Not hard to get.

But that's annoying!
You should start of right where you died, that's fair!

I think in the next Mario game you should respawn right next to the goomba that killed you.
#8enewburn(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2012 10:31:10 AM
It doesn't matter if you use it or not. What matters is that it gives elitist players opportunities to stroke their e-peen in your face. Why would you not want this?
#9HighLight43Posted 9/2/2012 10:33:25 AM
Not punishing enough. I want a game that makes your console explode if you die.
#10shinigami_mattPosted 9/2/2012 10:33:47 AM
enewburn posted...
It doesn't matter if you use it or not. What matters is that it gives elitist players opportunities to stroke their e-peen in your face. Why would you not want this?

That's true.
---