Why so serious, Final Fantasy?

#1Rogue_DragoonPosted 9/2/2012 3:23:31 PM
So, I've been playing The Last Story recently (already played it twice already and am really impressed by it, but that's not really the point here), and it can really be hilarious at a lot of different points. It generally doesn't take itself too seriously, with all the characters having some funny banter during missions all the way to the end of the game. Not to mention some hilarious scenes when you pick the "wrong option" in some scenes, too.

Anyways, it got me to thinking about how Final Fantasy games don't seem to have the same sense of humor they used to. All the way up through FFIX, there always seemed to be a place for humor in FF games. You had things like the Wall Market scene, comic relief characters like Quina (even though I didn't like Quina, actually), or the scene in FFVII where they climb the stairs in the Shinra building. It feels like these light-hearted types of scenes and characters have been thrown out the window more recently, starting with FFX. Every character and scene seems to have unnecessary melodrama, instead, which is disappointing to me. Not that there is NO humor in recent games. XIII-2 seemed to have slightly more than XIII, but still much less than an older FF game.

Lightning Returns seems like it will keep this trend of humorless FFs going, since Lightning isn't exactly known for being the funniest character in FF history, and it seems that she will be the only playable character in the game.

So, what do you all think about this? Do you agree that FF has lost its sense of humor in more recent years? Do you think it has to do with Sakaguchi leaving the company? Do you think it has to do with the developers targeting a new audience that wants its games to be more serious? Or do you think I'm totally wrong and think that Noel and Mog need their own stand-up comedy show? And do you think I'm asking too many questions?
#2kupo1705Posted 9/2/2012 3:24:39 PM
X and XII did have humour.
Especially X.
#3DragoonGriffithPosted 9/2/2012 3:24:50 PM
I have to agree with this.
---
"waiting for a Tales game is like waiting for an organ donor" - Fulvip
Currently playing: Tales of Vesperia (PS3), RDR, Wild ARMs 2, FFVII.
#4DragoonGriffithPosted 9/2/2012 3:25:09 PM
kupo1705 posted...
Especially X.

Not really.
---
#5TiaelPosted 9/2/2012 3:25:36 PM
DragoonGriffith posted...
I have to agree with this.

Check the VIII thread dude.
---
Waiting for: Ni no Kuni - Support this awesome gem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kUPIPBDA-I
#6kupo1705Posted 9/2/2012 3:26:05 PM
kupo1705 posted...
Especially X.

Not really.

Yes.
#7ManaYukaPosted 9/2/2012 3:26:58 PM
XIII and XIII-2 had humor, sazh/Snow provided it mostly in XIII, and XIII-2 Noel, Serah, and Moogle were all humurous.

If any game was going to be "too serious" it was Versus XIII....alteast that what people think.
---
Best show: Game of Thrones Best game: Tactics Ogre Let us Cling Together
I am not female; Yukanna means "the valiant" in Japanese.
#8DragoonGriffithPosted 9/2/2012 3:29:26 PM
kupo1705 posted...

Yes.

What exactly? Put in spoilers.

The whole game felt pretty depressing.
---
#9jfielding95Posted 9/2/2012 3:33:01 PM
kupo1705 posted...

Yes.

What?

SPOILERS (very small)

Yuna laughing with Tidus in Luca?
Waka's idiocy?
#10kupo1705Posted 9/2/2012 3:34:36 PM
kupo1705 posted...

Yes.

Not to me.
Near the end maybe, but the first half or so felt lighthearted despite what was going on.