Should developers listen more to the fans?

#1DilsDilevaPosted 9/4/2012 9:55:09 PM
What do you think? - Results (142 votes)
Yes, we are the ones buying it after all
45.07% (64 votes)
Don't care, it's their game
14.08% (20 votes)
No, fans don't know what they want
40.85% (58 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I thought of this after realizing both XIII and XIII-2 had things people in general disapproved of. XIII for example had it's linear level design and XIII-2 scrapped old characters in favour for new ones, and made some unwanted changes to the gameplay (-Eidolons for example).

Don't get me wrong, I love the XIII series, but I don't get how a developer can allow unwanted material to exist in the game in the first place. Had they just taken feedback from gamers during development, XIII might not have turned into the corridor of a game that it actually is. And it worries me that similar distasteful things might happen to LR our Versus if they don't get proper feedback.
---
H/W
#2VekkererPosted 9/4/2012 10:07:57 PM
Of course. Always listen to feedback. You don't have to obey the feedback, just pay attention to what the fanbase says.

Soon someone (a tool) will come into the topic claiming that XIII-2 happened because it listened too much to a certain part of the fanbase but they'll be wrong, as always.

I'm chalking up SE's absurd tradition, of listening to a game's feedback and then take it to the extremes with the next game, to plain old hubris. That or poor management.
But ultimately I'm sure they've learned that lesson by now. Hopefully.
---
"And you have proved to be
A real human being and a real hero..."
#3TheBestGman2007Posted 9/4/2012 10:10:33 PM
NO NO NO.

There will always be conflicting opinions, and then if you listen to some, you'd be ignoring others. Best to just make the product you want, and what you feel the majority of your fans want too. Besides when you let fans make decisions regarding games, you sacrifice artistic integrity. Look at ME3's ending, yeah people hated it, but it was Biowares ending, and the fans really had no right to get a new one.
---
Maybe we'd fall short. Maybe we'd never even come close. But someone, someday, would know we'd tried.- Vanille
Official Vanille of the Lightning Returns board.
#4Wakizashi_513Posted 9/4/2012 10:14:37 PM
Doesn't matter, the fans will b**** either way.
#5LazarusWolfPosted 9/4/2012 10:15:05 PM
Absolutely!
I have lots of respect for any person who listens to feedback from fans and learns from it.
---
"It took hundreds to kill me but I killed humans by the thousands. I am sublime!!! I am the true face of evil!!!!" - Luca Blight
#6VekkererPosted 9/4/2012 10:15:53 PM(edited)
TheBestGman2007 posted...
Besides when you let fans make decisions regarding games, you sacrifice artistic integrity. Look at ME3's ending, yeah people hated it, but it was Biowares ending, and the fans really had no right to get a new one.

Oh goddamnit.
-facepalm-
There are enough sheep on this board, must there be this kind of drones too?

Unless it's somehow meant ironically, this kind of thinking is just idiotic.
---
#7Iampony1Posted 9/4/2012 10:21:14 PM
NO NO NO.

There will always be conflicting opinions, and then if you listen to some, you'd be ignoring others. Best to just make the product you want, and what you feel the majority of your fans want too. Besides when you let fans make decisions regarding games, you sacrifice artistic integrity. Look at ME3's ending, yeah people hated it, but it was Biowares ending, and the fans really had no right to get a new one.

They deserved it because Bioware lied in regards to how many endings there would be,
if the fans had stayed quiet then they would have never gotten real closure to a part of their Shepard story
O BTW their artistic integrity is already being f*** by EA
---
Expecting Project Crystallis to grow big
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-versus-xiii/63945817
#8TheBestGman2007Posted 9/4/2012 10:25:03 PM
Vekkerer posted...
Besides when you let fans make decisions regarding games, you sacrifice artistic integrity. Look at ME3's ending, yeah people hated it, but it was Biowares ending, and the fans really had no right to get a new one.

Oh goddamnit.
-facepalm-

C'mon Vek, you know how I post.
---
Maybe we'd fall short. Maybe we'd never even come close. But someone, someday, would know we'd tried.- Vanille
Official Vanille of the Lightning Returns board.
#9DilsDileva(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2012 10:40:18 PM
Wakizashi_513 posted...
Doesn't matter, the fans will b**** either way.

While true, the game wouldn't be disliked as much if the majority is happy with it (well, duh).
---
H/W
#10VekkererPosted 9/4/2012 11:01:06 PM
Vekkerer posted...

Oh goddamnit.
-facepalm-

C'mon Vek, you know how I post.

It was like 8am. My brain is pretty soft at those hours.
---