Due to FFXIII focusing more on story than gameplay...

#31Galvanization(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2012 1:07:16 PM
LtRickGrey posted...
Give me western rpgs over jrpgs any day. Jrpgs tend to follow the exact same formula anymore, like japan has run out of ideas or something.

At least with western rpgs my choices and reactions are dependent on the situation, and not predisposed to "hit x to not die" during cinemas.

I feel the same way. Skyrim is better than any FF game since FFXII.
---
"JRPGs are not mainly about story. That's just a trend FF started. Look at the huge sales of Pokemon. Do people buy it for the story? Hell no! " ~ Vex
#32FireMage7777Posted 9/10/2012 1:52:33 PM
Galvanization posted...
LtRickGrey posted...
Give me western rpgs over jrpgs any day. Jrpgs tend to follow the exact same formula anymore, like japan has run out of ideas or something.

At least with western rpgs my choices and reactions are dependent on the situation, and not predisposed to "hit x to not die" during cinemas.

XIII-1, either Dissidia
---
Playing through the .hack tetralogy. On Outbreak, finished Phantom of 9, still need to finish Grunty Races. Golden 0/9 Silver 6/9
#33Iampony1Posted 9/10/2012 1:54:09 PM
Galvanization posted...
LtRickGrey posted...

Why no Mass Effect mention?
---
Bring awareness to Type-0 and Vs 13
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-versus-xiii/63945817
#34chicostickPosted 9/10/2012 2:14:05 PM
I like both (or a mix of both). It's hard to explain, but I would say that I like a bit more story.
#35Galvanization(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2012 2:35:42 PM
Iampony1 posted...
Galvanization posted...
LtRickGrey posted...

Why no Mass Effect mention?

The only WRPG I've played is Skyrim.
---
"JRPGs are not mainly about story. That's just a trend FF started. Look at the huge sales of Pokemon. Do people buy it for the story? Hell no! " ~ Vex
#36Hated_DarknessPosted 9/10/2012 4:55:17 PM
mahroflcopter posted...
"Final Fantasy XIII was designed by Yoshinori Kitase and used a modified version of the "Interactive Movie RPG" game design he introduced in Final Fantasy X. However, Kitase decided to make alterations from the Final Fantasy X incarnation of this game design by making Final Fantasy XIII even more linear and streamlined. This was done by Kitase to add more emphasis to the story and character development which are the most important aspects of the "Interactive Movie RPG" game design. Kitase also decided to get rid of towns, shops, mini-games and other aspects not central to the story and character development."

Kitase literally refers to XIII as an interactive movie. He sacrificed towns, exploration, NPC interaction, side quests, mini games, shops, the ability to control your own party set up for the first 25 hours of the game, and a crap ton more just for the story.

"When released, Final Fantasy XIII was met with a mixed reception due to the game design used. However, Toriyama defended Kitase's game design by stating that this was what a "Interactive Movie RPG" involves; the story and characters are the priority and not the gameplay and exploration."

Toriyama, the director, further proves that gameplay experience was not important to them.

XIII was story based, through and through. I'm not agree with TC or anything, but the fact of the matter is that the developers have already said that gameplay and exploration weren't important to them and that the story was.

So basically you think the TC is going for the second option--that they sacrificed things that would make the gameplay better on the altar of story. I guess I can see that view given the quotes. The thing that doesn't make sense then is this: Why did they make the amount of time the gameplay takes up so much longer than it needed to be? I would've cut down the gameplay segments a lot because the battles in FF13 tend to get pretty tedious (at least later on) and there's only so much of them a player can take at once. Didn't they see that they were dissuading people from experiencing their 'beautiful'(?) story by making the gameplay segments unoptimally long? While their utmost care may have gone more into the story, they're actually making the player experience the segments of the game that don't have the utmost care put into them for significantly longer than the segments with said care (whether of course you think that care came to anything is another matter).

While it's to be expected that you'll be in gameplay longer than in story sequences, the ratio of gameplay time to story time for FF13 seems to be skewed a lot more towards gameplay time than the mid-series FFs. Ironically the removal of towns may have helped foster this since talking to townsfolk is "story time" in my book, if "story time" of only ancillary importance compared to actual plot developments. Perhaps some of those things they thought they were doing to aid the story actually swung the balance towards gameplay (time-wise) on the player end.

And one minor thing about the party set up comment, I actually think it was good for the player that for a lot of the early-to-mid game s/he had the party split into groups of 2 members (which resulted from the same decision that kept the player from choosing his/her own party for a long time). It's easier to learn and get used to the battle system with 2 characters rather than 3, so that may be an instance where "sacrificing" gameplay actually indirectly aided gameplay. Of course I'm aware that during part of that time you do have a 3 person party, but SOME time with groups of two is better than the none that would've ensued had the party stayed together.
---
Arbitrary guidelines for greatness from an "expert" are still subjective.
Only factual, scientifically-tested criteria can escape subjectivity.
#37da_illest101Posted 9/10/2012 6:10:31 PM
I hope they never do that ever again. I don't mind having a game with a lot of story, but a lot of story ( that I didn't even like to begin with) with almost no gameplay is a problem. That's why I enjoyed FF XIII-2 more than XIII, even though it wasn't that great.

What I want is a new final fantasy ( XV) with the openess of skyrim, but the story of a final fantasy. I know it's a lot of work, but they need to push the genre forward, we want new experiences, gta does that.
#38theofficefan99Posted 9/10/2012 6:15:15 PM
Skyrim's size is a bit much. Maybe the size of XII's world but a bit larger and more interactive, entertaining, and visually pleasing >.>
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin