I would cut down on melodrama as much as possible. The side of the fanbase that's into that would be into the series with out without it at this point. I would hire third party writers.
I would probably try a setting similar to X, with a society built on a forgotten and misunderstood civilization minus the technology taboo. Then I would have it turn out that the main antagonist is actually the entire past civilization after evolving into a single being/mind.
1) Plot based on the opera from FFVI, but that's really just the beginning. Gilgamesh is playable, so is a Moogle. Rather minimalist really, nonobstructive to the gameplay. Also player agency in the storyline. Real multiple branding storylines with several final bosses and endings.
2) Free roaming exploration. A world map twice as big as FFXII.
3) Job System. Pointy hat Black Mages are a must.
4) FFXII-style combat with every Gambit open at the start. But more flash, more strategy.
5) Townz are a must. So are sidequests.
6) Radically different art style. The game looks like an Amano painting.
7) At some point we need to travel to the center of the Sun and fight a giant fire demon.
Bumping this thread because I think its one of the more intelligent ones.
It's disconcerting seeing all the complaints about the series and... not much else. Everyone is willing to complain and make some broad suggestions about what the series is missing but never actually state what is missing or how they would fix things. So the complaints continue, the series moves on, more complaints and the cycle continues.
I just really want to know what people actually want to see from the series and maybe get a constructive discussion going on instead of just endless troll and complaining threads.
And in the spirit of fairness, while I really enjoyed XIII and am enjoying XIII-2, if anyone wants, I could write out what I personally would like to see in a future game.
( \ ( \"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain, It's time to roll the dice ." (=^:^) So sayeth the cute bunny
What I really want to see is something similar to Final Fantasy 1, where you get commissioned by an evil dictator to hunt down all of his political enemies using your sacred gunblade and weird boat that you can drive. As the game progresses you start to befriend the political enemies rather then kill them, and near the end you gather them all up to attempt to overthrow the dictator. Once you and your new allies defeat the dictator in armed combat, you discover that the dictator was just a puppet that was being controlled by a HUGE (Like the size of Jupiter) cosmic entity. This entity (Which would be referred to as "Unknown Entity" even though his real name is Dokimi) then unleashes his wrath upon you, turning you into a hideous creature of evil magiks and destruction. Final Fantasy XV-2 would feature your reign of terror upon the world, as the former political enemies bond into one being to unsurp you existence and take down Dokimi, although you play as the MC of XV throughout the game. Also, turn based fighting and the ability to alter the landscape (In my version of XV-2, of course) indefinitely.