POLL: Which Final Fantasy has THE Best Music for its Time?

#61kupo1705Posted 10/5/2012 4:46:57 AM
LolOkay posted...
kupo1705 posted...
LolOkay posted...
kupo1705 posted...
LolOkay posted...
Music is supposed to be timeless? I don't see any limitations that could make a huge difference between previous FF games and modern FF games.

The same can be said for graphics.

Timeless maybe, but in graphics there are hardware limitations, can you honestly say that the PS1 has the same graphical power as the PS3? No. The graphics are limited to the technology available at the time. This is objective.

I'm asking someone to explain what kind of limitations similar to this, music had which would warrant the statement 'for its time'. Unless the TC was talking about something different.

There are also hardware limitations for sound.

The differences aren't as drastic as the progression of visuals (unless you're talking about 8-bit). Like comparing the soundtrack of FFX with XIII's sound track, they can easily be compared. But comparing FFX's visuals with XIII's can't be as easily compared because of the PS2's limitations. And then music is also far more subjective than graphics.

There isn't really a difference between X and XIII. The quality might have gotten a bit better, but it's mostly irrelevant. Before that, there was a big leap between each system. Since the PS2 there isn't really much room for improvement.

And both are subjective.
I think FFX looks better than FFXIII.
#62LolOkayPosted 10/5/2012 5:09:00 AM
kupo1705 posted...
There isn't really a difference between X and XIII. The quality might have gotten a bit better, but it's mostly irrelevant. Before that, there was a big leap between each system. Since the PS2 there isn't really much room for improvement.

And both are subjective.
I think FFX looks better than FFXIII.

Yes and that's why I'm asking how would you judge music based on its time? That was my original question after all.

Yeah I know both are subjective but music is even more so. Like I said you can't deny differences in graphical power, though you may have differing opinions on art style/presentation. There is no similar scale for comparing music other than one's own taste.

It's kind of hard to explain but here: You can compare XIII's graphics to games of its time and you'll find it's not the best. You can do a similar comparison with VII and you'll find it does better than XIII in this regard. But I don't see how you can do this with music since time is not as relevant a factor.

And by the way you're replying you seem to know what the TC means by "for its time". So care to share?
#63DragoonGriffithPosted 10/5/2012 5:12:39 AM
Nice, FFVI is winning this.
Didn't expect that.
---
Currently playing: Tales of Vesperia (PS3), Graces f, Wild ARMs 2, Ys: The Oath in Felghana.
#64kupo1705Posted 10/5/2012 5:14:26 AM
LolOkay posted...
Yes and that's why I'm asking how would you judge music based on its time? That was my original question after all.

Yeah I know both are subjective but music is even more so. Like I said you can't deny differences in graphical power, though you may have differing opinions on art style/presentation. There is no similar scale for comparing music other than one's own taste.

It's kind of hard to explain but here: You can compare XIII's graphics to games of its time and you'll find it's not the best. You can do a similar comparison with VII and you'll find it does better than XIII in this regard. But I don't see how you can do this with music since time is not as relevant a factor.

And by the way you're replying you seem to know what the TC means by "for its time". So care to share?

Nevermind, I completely misunderstood your question.
#65faruwayPosted 10/5/2012 8:10:47 AM
As much as I love all the FF series music, I vote for FF6!

FF6! FF6! FAINARU FANTASHI SEKSU! All hail KEFKA!!! All hail KEFKA!! 8D

YETI AGOGO KUPO MALBORO!!!! >:D
---
Official GilgaPrishe's Spicy Hot Taco Buddy of Dissidia 012 Duodecim Final Fantasy Board
Pkmn White FC: 2881 6954 3015
#66UnderratedGamerPosted 10/6/2012 12:02:38 PM
To be honest, FF6, 7, 8 and 10 are ALL quite amazing. Even as much as I dislike 8 and 10, you CAN'T disagree that their soundtracks are amazing. I mean, Final Fantasy VIII has easily the best last dungeon theme out of the ENTIRE series. I haven't heard a dungeon theme from the series as epic as "The Castle". Also, Final Fantasy X has some great tracks too. As mediocre as I find 7, its soundtrack is superb to most other FF games. And lastly, 6 has Terra's Theme (a plethora of other character themes too), Searching For Friends, Opera music, Fierce Battle, and lastly Dancing Mad; 17 minutes of pure win.
---
"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived." - Isaac Asimov
#67Ultima_LordPosted 10/6/2012 12:47:33 PM
Pretty much anything that's not FF8 in this poll is invalid. So FF8
---
"Nanako, I'll knock your teeth in! Get me some sausages! RHERLBLRBLRBLRBLRBLR" - Dojima
#68theofficefan99Posted 10/6/2012 12:48:40 PM
Seriously guys the only valid answer is Final Fantasy VIII.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#69heartlessprinnyPosted 10/6/2012 1:02:17 PM(edited)
FFVIII, is probably the best.

Fisherman's Horizon = Best town theme ever.
Don't Be Afraid = Best Regular Battle music.
Force Your Way = Best regular boss theme.
Premonition = Best special boss theme.
Find Your Way = Best dungeon theme.

Of course this is all just my opinion. FFVIIIs not even one of my favorite games in the series, I think more people would like it's music if they liked the game better.

Edit: By the way you can't go wrong with 5-10 imo.

And I accidentally quoted myself when i meant to edit...
#70heartlessprinnyPosted 10/6/2012 1:00:56 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]