Toriyama wrote all the character development of Aerith in FFVII.

#1GalvanizationPosted 10/3/2012 3:49:37 PM(edited)
And people say Toriyama is a bad writer? LOL!

Aerith, a character that was so well written that some people cried when she died in FFVII. People that say Toriyama can't write wouldn't know a good writer if he stood in front of them holding an Oscar for "Best Original Screenplay".

Arguably the most memorable and touching story arc in Final Fantasy VII is the growing relationship between Cloud and Aeris. Toriyama had a great hand in writing and directing their scenes together, and of course, the eventual death of Aeris.

“The idea of having Aeris die during the story had a great impact on all the dev staff,” Toriyama explained, “and personally I decided to dedicate my efforts to depicting Aeris in as appealing a way as possible, so that she would become an irreplaceable character to the player in preparation for that moment.”

http://www.vg247.com/2012/10/03/final-fantasy-anniversary-interview-toryiama-speaks/

Also, not only did he do all the character development for Aerith, but he also was the main director of FFX and wrote the back story of all the party members. He also edited the script to show more romance between Tidus and Yuna:

Motomu Toiyama had the biggest and most important role out of all the staff working on Final Fantasy X and he was regarded by Kitase as the main director of the game.[3] Toriyama was responsible for every single event scene in Final Fantasy X and also the pacing and flow of the entire game. He also created the back story of all the playable characters.[3] He was also the scenario editor and he would often edit the scenario to match what he wanted to portray out on screen in an event scene. An example of this was him constantly edited the scenario to show more romance between Tidus and Yuna over the course of the game.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motomu_Toriyama

Seriously, FFX fans owe this man a lot for how FFX turned out in story and character development. It's almost criminal how FFX fans can just allow him to be mocked and disrespected. Toriyama deserves a defence force more than any other employee at Squenix.
---
"JRPGs are not mainly about story. That's just a trend FF started. Look at the huge sales of Pokemon. Do people buy it for the story? Hell no! " ~ Vex
#2grassybootsPosted 10/3/2012 3:48:30 PM
Two options:

1) Nojima, Nomura and Kitase did all this and he's a total liar or
2) He went pathologically insane between VII/X and X-2/FME/T3B/XIII/XIII-2.
---
U-Do is coming. Please look forward to this....
#3TheBestGman2007Posted 10/3/2012 3:50:58 PM
Interesting.
---
Maybe we'd fall short. Maybe we'd never even come close. But someone, someday, would know we'd tried.- Vanille
Official Vanille of the Lightning Returns board.
#4Tobi011Posted 10/3/2012 3:51:01 PM
Two options:

1) Nojima, Nomura and Kitase did all this and he's a total liar or
2) He went pathologically insane between VII/X and X-2/FME/T3B/XIII/XIII-2.

I vote number 2.
#5DragoonGriffithPosted 10/3/2012 3:55:16 PM
I don't believe this.

Aerith is better than anything he ever made then.
---
Currently playing: Tales of Vesperia (PS3), Graces f, Wild ARMs 2, Ys: The Oath in Felghana.
#6donkeyjackPosted 10/3/2012 3:56:13 PM
Not sure if serious.
#7Galvanization(Topic Creator)Posted 10/3/2012 3:59:28 PM
DragoonGriffith posted...
I don't believe this.

Aerith is better than anything he ever made then.

What? The whole TidusxYuna dynamic in FFX is one of the reasons people see it as the best FF. Also, look at how badass he made Auron?

It's acceptable to think a writer is not as good as they were before (George Lucas, for example), but to take credit away from **** they have actually done is simply just being a hater. Toriyama is (or was) a great writer.
---
"JRPGs are not mainly about story. That's just a trend FF started. Look at the huge sales of Pokemon. Do people buy it for the story? Hell no! " ~ Vex
#8RomangeloPosted 10/3/2012 4:01:57 PM
FFX alone can make Toriyama the best writer in the planet earth history.
---
X > V > T > VI > XIII-2 > XII > TLR > XIII > X-2 > VIII > VII > IV > IX > III > I > II
#9heartlessprinnyPosted 10/3/2012 4:07:50 PM(edited)
Romangelo posted...

Please by hyperbole, or sarcasm, please don't be serious.
#10Iampony1Posted 10/3/2012 4:07:09 PM
Romangelo posted...

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j60/bluinkalchemist/George_RR_Martin.jpg

to bad hes getting close to the tombstone
---
Bring awareness to Type-0 and Vs 13
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-versus-xiii/63945817