Toriyama wrote all the character development of Aerith in FFVII.

#51GenjiRedPosted 10/3/2012 4:07:00 PM
Capitan_Kid posted...
zodiac_sword posted...
DragoonGriffith posted...
Ok, Tifa we've already been through, and I know you like her.
But why Vincent?

He's use to shed light on a subject that the don't go into much and he's only a very short list of FF7 playable characters that aren't crazy or obnoxious.
(Although the crazy thing might be debatable.)

He's a little crazy. Just a little.

A little crazy? the dude turns into Jason for crying out loud. Believe or not, Barrett isn't obnoxious in the Japanese version neither does he curse.
---
If you believe in Pikachu, have accepted him as a cute lord and savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#52FtpkornPosted 10/3/2012 4:08:10 PM
mrklarryd posted...
I don't believe this at all. Not only is the handling of that completely inconsistent with the way he handled, say, Yoyo's character arc in Bahamut Lagoon, Serah's or Vanille/Fang's in the 13's, but the handling of Aeris' character is, essentially, identical to how Kato handled characters with similar arcs in the Chrono games. It's also suspicious that Motomu Toriyama is announcing how much impact he had on FF7, in interview after interview, to the point of claiming to have invented Midgar, after a string of consecutive titles with writing that's been critically panned has been attached to his name, and he's doing so only after every person with a writing credit on FF7 has left the company.

I think it's more likely that he's revising history to raise his own profile in the face of frequent criticism, which he can do because there's nobody left to dispute him, and Kato, Sakaguchi and Nojima all privately seethe while this hack takes credit for their work. Writers work can drop in quality. But they still favor and reuse particular techniques and motifs over time. There's never one aberrant work with nothing in common with anything else he's done in a sea of junk. Edit: To use an example, take Shyamalan. Two good movies. Possibly 3. A lot of crap movies. But every one of them shares similar themes. And similar protagonists.

With training, or even just with a lot of experience and attention to detail reading, readers can often identify authors using pen-names (http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2011/12/the-story-behind-ron-pauls-racist-newsletters/250338/). The only thing I see of Toriyama in FF7 is wall-market. Probably the populating of inconsequential characters' chat bubbles. Maybe the Cloud fist shaking scene. That's about it.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb241/FTPKORN/Snapbucket/tumblr_mb8a5tbcLn1r0le8go1_400.jpg

Come on man, hate better.
---
Lightning likes to play life-sized chess in her new room.
#53RomangeloPosted 10/3/2012 4:13:18 PM
GenjiRed posted...
Seriously, am I the only one who didn't cry nor get emotional when Aerith's (you know)? It wasn't that great of a scene. Everything I beat the 2nd Jenova, I just roll my eyes at the mediocre drama, then return to playing at the ice cap.

I didn't care about Aerith too. she's one of the worst character in VII and Tifa is way bigger than her.
---
X > V > T > VI > XIII-2 > XII > TLR > XIII > X-2 > VIII > VII > IV > IX > III > I > II
#54Capitan_KidPosted 10/3/2012 4:19:30 PM(edited)
GenjiRed posted...
Capitan_Kid posted...
zodiac_sword posted...
But why Vincent?

He's use to shed light on a subject that the don't go into much and he's only a very short list of FF7 playable characters that aren't crazy or obnoxious.

A little crazy? the dude turns into Jason for crying out loud. Believe or not, Barrett isn't obnoxious in the Japanese version neither does he curse.

He never seemed that crazy to me. He lost the girl and got experimented on but he was sorta ok with it.
---
Not changing sig until I have sex.
Started 7/29/2012
#55SkyFlopperPosted 10/3/2012 4:19:05 PM
Toriyama was clearly part of a team. This is NOT all him. But at the same token, some of this work is definitely part of something he did. You don't have just one event planners.

Aerith doesn't have enough screentime to really.. have much development. Her role was crucial for the plot, however, but I imagine that had little to do with him.
#56GenjiRedPosted 10/3/2012 4:28:04 PM
Capitan_Kid posted...
GenjiRed posted...
Capitan_Kid posted...
zodiac_sword posted...
But why Vincent?

He never seemed that crazy to me. He lost the girl and got experimented on but he was sorta ok with it.

I was actually joking. Vincent is more at a loss for reality and would rather be present in another time and place, a place without guilt. Which is of course why I like him.
---
If you believe in Pikachu, have accepted him as a cute lord and savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#57tragamundoPosted 10/3/2012 4:35:21 PM
Yet he fails at keeping Serah dead lol
#58OblivonPosted 10/3/2012 4:38:06 PM
I love FFVII, but I didn't shed a single tear for when she died. I didn't really care at all. Now, if they'd've killed, I dunno, Barret off, then my room would've become a goddamn swimming pool. A salty one.
---
(^=' w '=^) meow
#59King_Shortt_IXPosted 10/3/2012 4:38:11 PM
I kind of wish he would go back to obsessing over XV and Itou being the director.
---
The contents of this post may not reflect the views of the poster.
#60Asuka2013Posted 10/3/2012 4:56:06 PM
I laughed when she died. Never liked her.
---
You can fly me to the moon, Bayonetta!