Honest commentary on the fanbase

#91DViper97Posted 10/5/2012 12:27:13 AM(edited)
Kagayaku08 posted...
i think its funny that FF9 is being called revolutionary when its whole point was to be a return to the older style in pre 7 FF games.

Fanbases suck because they don't realize just what their opinions are. That is, only their opinions as individuals. Why should SE consider Linearity a Flaw? Because a group of fans dont' like it? What about the fans who do? Why shaft them because you (general) can't enjoy the design? Where is the give here? No where. Everyone is correct and thats a recepie for chaos.

you can't please millions of people. There will never be any unity. When people cannot see beyond their own needs and try to super impose those needs on every one is is when you have problems. Its one thing to voice an opinion. its another to treat an opinion as the word of god.

thats what we have here in the FF fanbase. People overly emotional over their own opinions. They paint themselves as victims of a harsh, uncaring lover. And they aren't. they're just fans. SE don't go out their way to hate on the fans. But people swear that they are and swear that everyone (in the fanbase) feels the same way or, rather, they should feel that way.

i do not appreciate being told what is good for me in something as trivial as a video game. And its utterly laughable to say anything about the storylines in these games when nearly all post FF 5 final fantasies are written like Soap Operas and those before FF 5, didn't have much in the way of story at all.

When i look at this fanbase, all i see are people who are cursed to miss the point of gaming. And some will never catch the point of gaming. Its sad that gaming is a measure of status now rather than a personal escape from harsh reality. You know, something fun. But now, childish fun is just who has played the best FF game, who can point out all the "flaws" in under a minute, who played what game when and how much better it was then than now.Nobody can ever question logic because everyone is correct. Its like high school all over again.

its a shame a really. For me, high school was over in 2005 and didn't put with the bull**** then and sure as hell won't now.

+2 from class of '03, Kaga. One of the biggest problems with the FF fanbase, is that it refuses to see that not everyone views FF the same, not even the majority.

It's also been painfully obvious, since the PS1 days, that the fact of the matter is many within this fanbase actually do not give each new entry a fair chance. If they give it a chance at all. I can't count the number of topics/ posts that either say exactly that, or heavily imply it, on the XIII board alone. Many such topics/ posts coming from people who either passed up, or blindly hated on the game for years, some avoiding it due to fan negativity. XIII is not the only game this has happened with, far from it.

I can only pray that SE doesn't take it's fanbase too seriously and definitely NEVER tries to please everyone at once. With this fanbase, it's sure to be an impossible task, since the fanbase at large really does not know what it wants

But we sure as hell have plenty of people who'd love to speak for you, or tell you what you should want. Ya know, if you're a REAL FF fan. However, would you really want to take advise from the same fanbase containing a litany of people/ groups who got royally trolled by an ultra obvious troll and his ultra obvious rumor?

Yeah, I went there.
---
---
"I would not trust a lump of rubbish made by you lunatics any more than I would trust one of you lunatics!" --Prince Trion
#92meteor9898Posted 10/5/2012 1:38:03 AM(edited)
Oh great, another helping of this "the customer is entitled" garbage that corporations keep trying to spin and their mindless fanbots keep bowing their heads to, eyes glazed and tongues wagging, mouths wide open to allow another shovel-full of trash dressed as a good product. We are customers, Of course we're entitled, we have no reason not to be and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. All businesses start and die with us and the minute they begin to get all high and mighty and using it against us then they've really lost touch.

I played XIII and XIII-2 and hated them. Thousands of people hated them too, begging SE to move on and make FFXV or finish Versus. They know this is what people want. So what did they do in their hubris? They make another XIII game and put the same inept writer in charge of it. I don't need to play this fresh batch of drivel to know its not worth buying. This is why customer trust and brand recognition are real things and they make a huge difference. Nothing SE has done lately has shown me they give a crap about giving me a quality product, so they can kiss my trust goodbye. As far as I care its a fair exchange.

Also, I'm not losing sleep over it. I'll just get my games from companies that don't leave their scripts with morons, and just sit and watch the fires rise until SE finally gets their s*** together.
#93FtpkornPosted 10/5/2012 2:38:50 AM
roxas9001 posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
Oh, looks like I need to re-post my little XIII-2 laundry list of criticisms.

-Atrocious load times between areas
-Frequent screen-tearing, framerate dips, clipping issues, and people walking into one-another during cutscenes.
-99% of the monsters in XIII-2 are shamelessly re-used from XIII
-CGI compared to XIII is super ugly
-Dialogue is usually really cheesy and cringe-worthy. "I'm here to protect the future... and I will!" "How very noble of you... but you shall die first!"
-Story is absolutely incomprehensible. Tons of nonsensical situations, paradoxes make no sense, the game, aside from Academia 4XX AF, does a very poor job of showcasing how changing the future changes the past, etc.
-Much of the story is stupid filler. The whole game is you randomly going to different locations and just fixing paradoxes hoping that you'll get to Lightning in the end.
-The story largely relies on an incompetent deity that we NEVER see, much of the story is left to the datalog (even moreso than Final Fantasy XIII), and the game uses ridiculously stupid plot points in order to increase the length of the game, such as a guardian not inheriting the Heart of Chaos if the guardian "has enough will."
-Serah and Noel are both incredibly bland
-Story is only 20 hours long
-Hands of Time is insanely awful. Randomly generated, 12-13 numbers, time limit.... absolutely awful, and not to mention uninspired. This goes for the tile puzzles and the "match the crystal" puzzles as well.
-You wanted mini-games and your next Gold Saucer? Here. You can WATCH chocobo races and play slots. We have half-assed card games for DLC.
-You wanted sidequests and many optional locations? Here. By the way, these locations have all only experienced seasonal changes despite hundreds of years of difference in terms of time.
-Battles are pathetically easy
-You rarely EVER have to stagger an enemy or paradigm shift
-Monsters actually limit your Paradigm Customization
-Capping the Crystarium is hilariously easy, as I capped it in 40 hours.
-Caius is a horrible villain. Overwrought voice acting, corny lines, ridiculous design, horrible motivation.
-Only two playable characters
-Lightning's character is destroyed. In XIII, she was a feisty woman who fought against fate and didn't want to be a slave to the gods. In XIII-2 she willingly becomes a slave of Etro despite her being literally DRAGGED by a black mist AKA chaos and being erased from history. Huh?

Lol, incorrect info like always.

Fixed. :P
---
Lightning likes to play life-sized chess in her new room.
#94wolf riderPosted 10/5/2012 3:35:16 AM
Kagayaku08's whole post is just a load of rhetoric that tries to disguise all the same old cop out excuses from the XIII fanboy's playbook with some long-winded, melodramatic flair:

- ad hominem
- "opinion does not equal fact"
- stating an opinion is tyrannically imposing your will over someone
- pointing out flaws in a game must mean they don't play that game for fun
- past FF stories weren't the best, so nobody's allowed to criticise the writing
---
Capcom. Square-Enix. Bioware. Blizzard.
There was a time when these companies were spoken of with respect and admiration.
#95VekkererPosted 10/5/2012 3:53:05 AM(edited)
You know what I find to be the worst thing about this thread? I'm sure it will "shock" you.
Here we have the usual list of apologists and Defence Force trolls, gathering together to pat each other on the back and tell each other how good they are. Their "honest commentary" on the fanbase will always be that it's **** because there are "so many haters" and blah blah apologist drivel.

And naturally, they exclude themselves completely. They're never part of the terrible parts of this fanbase and if someone else were to make a thread giving another "honest commentary" on this fanbase that bashed the fanboys, apologists and Defence Forces as much as this thread have done the opposite, all of you would flock to it and troll it and try to dismiss it.

This topic was created by a known troll; attended by known trolls; and for other trolls and apologists. The people that throw out "entitled" as if it actually mean something. The kind that uses hypocritical arguments to paint up themselves as the only decent part of a fanbase they have deemed rotten. The ones who claim that people aren't allowed to criticize XIII and the Abomination because "durr, earlier FF's were crap too" as if that somehow excuses XIII.

Yeah, there is a part of this fanbase that is completely rotten. But tell you what: it's not the people you claim to be the culprits. Look yourselves in the mirrors, apologists.
---
"And you have proved to be
A real human being and a real hero..."
#96VersusCancelledPosted 10/5/2012 4:03:17 AM
FF1 - trash and only hailed as "good" by nostalgiababies who want to seem like they played FF before it was cool to play FF.

FF2 - even trashier

FF3 - there was an FF3?

FF4 - solid game. Not "amazing" but it's definitely revolutionary. Introduced deep character development.

FF5 - Decent enough game. Nothing remarkable.

FF6 - Showed just how far you can stretch story and character development. The best FF game thus far and the most revolutionary.

FF7 - mini-FF6. Introduced 3D graphics and the cutscenes were cool too. Nothing remarkable.

FF8 - drastically improved graphics, storylines got even deeper, but suffered a poor translation from the Jap version.

FF9 - return to basics

FF10 - looking towads the future

FF11 - it's an MMORPG

FF12 - FF6 2.0 The mot revolutionary FF game to date. Never before have we seen an FF game with such immense scale, lore, and story.

FF13 - A bad joke. Something that looked good initially, but drastically disappointed.
FF13-2 A bad joke that should have ended a minute ago, but the person telling the joke just continues on in the hopes that someone laughs.
Lightning Returns - Can be compared to the rape of a small child.
#97zodiac_swordPosted 10/5/2012 4:04:13 AM
VersusCancelled posted...
FF7 - mini-FF6.

No
---
What do you think it means when a girl leaves a fake mustache at your house?
#98Corbenik888(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2012 4:28:15 AM
Vekkerer posted...
You know what I find to be the worst thing about this thread? I'm sure it will "shock" you.
Here we have the usual list of apologists and Defence Force trolls, gathering together to pat each other on the back and tell each other how good they are. Their "honest commentary" on the fanbase will always be that it's **** because there are "so many haters" and blah blah apologist drivel.

And naturally, they exclude themselves completely. They're never part of the terrible parts of this fanbase and if someone else were to make a thread giving another "honest commentary" on this fanbase that bashed the fanboys, apologists and Defence Forces as much as this thread have done the opposite, all of you would flock to it and troll it and try to dismiss it.

This topic was created by a known troll; attended by known trolls; and for other trolls and apologists. The people that throw out "entitled" as if it actually mean something. The kind that uses hypocritical arguments to paint up themselves as the only decent part of a fanbase they have deemed rotten. The ones who claim that people aren't allowed to criticize XIII and the Abomination because "durr, earlier FF's were crap too" as if that somehow excuses XIII.

Yeah, there is a part of this fanbase that is completely rotten. But tell you what: it's not the people you claim to be the culprits. Look yourselves in the mirrors, apologists.

Yeah, I'm a known troll. Be lucky I don't feel mod happy right now. Also Toriyama Apologists is a copyrighted term by FireMage, you owe me a quarter for implied usage
---
Pirate_Duck: I think its great that Toriyama is trying to rewrite history like this. It means that I can hate him as a person, not just as a game designer.
#99theofficefan99Posted 10/5/2012 7:34:35 AM
Ftpkorn posted...
roxas9001 posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
Oh, looks like I need to re-post my little XIII-2 laundry list of criticisms.

-Atrocious load times between areas
-Frequent screen-tearing, framerate dips, clipping issues, and people walking into one-another during cutscenes.
-99% of the monsters in XIII-2 are shamelessly re-used from XIII
-CGI compared to XIII is super ugly
-Dialogue is usually really cheesy and cringe-worthy. "I'm here to protect the future... and I will!" "How very noble of you... but you shall die first!"
-Story is absolutely incomprehensible. Tons of nonsensical situations, paradoxes make no sense, the game, aside from Academia 4XX AF, does a very poor job of showcasing how changing the future changes the past, etc.
-Much of the story is stupid filler. The whole game is you randomly going to different locations and just fixing paradoxes hoping that you'll get to Lightning in the end.
-The story largely relies on an incompetent deity that we NEVER see, much of the story is left to the datalog (even moreso than Final Fantasy XIII), and the game uses ridiculously stupid plot points in order to increase the length of the game, such as a guardian not inheriting the Heart of Chaos if the guardian "has enough will."
-Serah and Noel are both incredibly bland
-Story is only 20 hours long
-Hands of Time is insanely awful. Randomly generated, 12-13 numbers, time limit.... absolutely awful, and not to mention uninspired. This goes for the tile puzzles and the "match the crystal" puzzles as well.
-You wanted mini-games and your next Gold Saucer? Here. You can WATCH chocobo races and play slots. We have half-assed card games for DLC.
-You wanted sidequests and many optional locations? Here. By the way, these locations have all only experienced seasonal changes despite hundreds of years of difference in terms of time.
-Battles are pathetically easy
-You rarely EVER have to stagger an enemy or paradigm shift
-Monsters actually limit your Paradigm Customization
-Capping the Crystarium is hilariously easy, as I capped it in 40 hours.
-Caius is a horrible villain. Overwrought voice acting, corny lines, ridiculous design, horrible motivation.
-Only two playable characters
-Lightning's character is destroyed. In XIII, she was a feisty woman who fought against fate and didn't want to be a slave to the gods. In XIII-2 she willingly becomes a slave of Etro despite her being literally DRAGGED by a black mist AKA chaos and being erased from history. Huh?

Lol, incorrect info like always.

Fixed. :P

Believe what you want to believe, nothing I said was wrong.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#100theofficefan99Posted 10/5/2012 7:37:07 AM
meteor9898 posted...
Oh great, another helping of this "the customer is entitled" garbage that corporations keep trying to spin and their mindless fanbots keep bowing their heads to, eyes glazed and tongues wagging, mouths wide open to allow another shovel-full of trash dressed as a good product. We are customers, Of course we're entitled, we have no reason not to be and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. All businesses start and die with us and the minute they begin to get all high and mighty and using it against us then they've really lost touch.

I played XIII and XIII-2 and hated them. Thousands of people hated them too, begging SE to move on and make FFXV or finish Versus. They know this is what people want. So what did they do in their hubris? They make another XIII game and put the same inept writer in charge of it. I don't need to play this fresh batch of drivel to know its not worth buying. This is why customer trust and brand recognition are real things and they make a huge difference. Nothing SE has done lately has shown me they give a crap about giving me a quality product, so they can kiss my trust goodbye. As far as I care its a fair exchange.

Also, I'm not losing sleep over it. I'll just get my games from companies that don't leave their scripts with morons, and just sit and watch the fires rise until SE finally gets their s*** together.

Though I actually love XIII, I'm not going to delude myself into thinking that there aren't quite a few parts where it was poorly written (and handled), and this is a great post overall.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin