Are you ready for 80% of everything to be explained through Datalogs again?

#21wolf riderPosted 10/7/2012 2:16:57 AM
As Stephen Hawking, I'm offended.
---
Capcom. Square-Enix. Bioware. Blizzard.
There was a time when these companies were spoken of with respect and admiration.
#22arvilinoPosted 10/7/2012 4:27:59 AM(edited)
King_Shortt_IX posted...
If you have to use Datalogs to tell and explain the narrative, then you are doing something wrong. Show, and not just tell.

It's more like what the Ultimania Books are than actually telling the story. Datalogs are there for greater elaboration on something that comes up in the plot more than anything else.
#23OEIO999Posted 10/7/2012 4:27:35 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#24TruthsEdgePosted 10/7/2012 5:16:38 AM
I like datalogs but they are past their time. Dark Souls took this approach and was bashed for having no story even though it does. Maybe fully voice video/audiologs would be receive better like in Dead Space.
---
PSN xRadiant_Wolfx, http://jd-senpai.tumblr.com/
"I love Final Fantasy XIII"
#25meteor9898Posted 10/7/2012 5:19:50 AM
I like datalogs but they are past their time. Dark Souls took this approach and was bashed for having no story even though it does. Maybe fully voice video/audiologs would be receive better like in Dead Space.

Or you could always...I don't know....work exposition into the plot, making them relevant to the story? You know, good, non-lazy storytelling. But what do I know right? I'm not a veteran storyteller like Toriyama. :P
#26arvilinoPosted 10/7/2012 8:24:19 AM
meteor9898 posted...

Or you could always...I don't know....work exposition into the plot, making them relevant to the story? You know, good, non-lazy storytelling. But what do I know right? I'm not a veteran storyteller like Toriyama. :P

I thought the whole purpose for Datalogs is that the story text isn't saturated with far more text purely for exposition.

Else you'd have the opposite reaction for situations like Dark Souls and the complaint would become that it forces too much exposition of stuff many players won't care about onto the player. Which would be the same for FFXIII if all the additional information from the datalog was crammed directly into the plot.
#27EnferolunosPosted 10/7/2012 8:31:09 AM
This is a bad poll and you should feel bad
---
Currently awaiting: Pikmin 3, Lunar Knights 2, Pokemon BW 2, Paper Mario: SS, Luigi's Mansion: DM, Animal Crossing 3D
Skarmory would slap the hell outta you
#28mahroflcopterPosted 10/7/2012 8:33:08 AM
arvilino posted...
meteor9898 posted...

I thought the whole purpose for Datalogs is that the story text isn't saturated with far more text purely for exposition.

Else you'd have the opposite reaction for situations like Dark Souls and the complaint would become that it forces too much exposition of stuff many players won't care about onto the player. Which would be the same for FFXIII if all the additional information from the datalog was crammed directly into the plot.

That's why you need a competent writer to thread that exposition so that it doesn't all come at once and feels natural when you do get it.
---
"Mahroflcopter... mahroflcopter... mahroflcopter goes squa squa squa!"
#29meteor9898Posted 10/7/2012 9:09:39 AM
arvilino posted...
Which would be the same for FFXIII if all the additional information from the datalog was crammed directly into the plot.

If that's how the writers felt, that pertinent details about their own setting are just things to be "crammed" then maybe they shouldn't have included them in the first place. World building is important, especially in an RPG, and it defeats the purpose of being in an interactive world when most of the interesting details are stuffed in a datalog. Half the time I didn't even know where the characters were, as no one bothered to explain anything or interact with the environment since it was all in the datalog. That barely even qualifies as storytelling.

The great thing about FFVII was that a lot of time was spent establishing Midgar as a real, fully fleshed out world with unique, fleshed out people. I don't even want to think about if it had all just been summarized in some crap journal while I'm being hurried into the next lame cutscene.
#30arvilinoPosted 10/7/2012 10:13:41 AM(edited)
meteor9898 posted...
arvilino posted...
Which would be the same for FFXIII if all the additional information from the datalog was crammed directly into the plot.

If that's how the writers felt, that pertinent details about their own setting are just things to be "crammed" then maybe they shouldn't have included them in the first place. World building is important, especially in an RPG, and it defeats the purpose of being in an interactive world when most of the interesting details are stuffed in a datalog. Half the time I didn't even know where the characters were, as no one bothered to explain anything or interact with the environment since it was all in the datalog. That barely even qualifies as storytelling.

The great thing about FFVII was that a lot of time was spent establishing Midgar as a real, fully fleshed out world with unique, fleshed out people. I don't even want to think about if it had all just been summarized in some crap journal while I'm being hurried into the next lame cutscene.

But would you have not liked to have a datalog entries on the Midgar sectors where unvisited or where passed through but not developed or has much distinction throughout the game?

Since apart from Sectors 5, 6 and 7 you don't see any of the rest of them outside of two Reactors which where pretty much identical and it would be unrealistic for all the Sectors to be a visitable and fleshed out as 7 was.