Square Enix need to stop using FMV throughout FF games.

#101theofficefan99Posted 10/7/2012 4:15:35 PM
ShinGundam posted...
That would be terrible to do, realtime cutscenes in FF are stiff and limited, sometimes has many repetitive gestures and loading times at worst. If anything Square should keep FMVs but instead of focusing on action oriented FMVs like in FF12/13, they have to make more character or plot important FMVs and let the action for game itself.

Really? Personally, I find them to animate a HELL of a lot better than most Western games. I'm not trying to bash Western games, I'm just stating an honest observation. I think Final Fantasy games have some of the best animations in video games.

Action-oriented or just flat-out monumental, epic-scaled moments for the FMV's, I agree. They should definitely keep them and not take them out. Most people love some amazing FMV's in their games.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#102Galvanization(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2012 6:10:22 PM
ShinGundam posted...
That would be terrible to do, realtime cutscenes in FF are stiff and limited, sometimes has many repetitive gestures and loading times at worst. If anything Square should keep FMVs but instead of focusing on action oriented FMVs like in FF12/13, they have to make more character or plot important FMVs and let the action for game itself.

WTF? You're a FFXII fan and you believe this? Really?

FFXII has much better character animation and facial expressions in the cut-scenes than the FMV. If anything, FFXII took the right approach. It did most of the cut-scenes with characters in real-time and did the epic ones for the intro/ending and the airships in FMV.
---
"JRPGs are not mainly about story. That's just a trend FF started. Look at the huge sales of Pokemon. Do people buy it for the story? Hell no! " ~ Vex
#103haeresisxiiiPosted 10/7/2012 6:25:05 PM
DilsDileva posted...
I disagree. SE has always delivered jaw-dropping moments with FMVs (IX's Alexander, X's Sending and XIII's Eden), I'd hate for them to give that up.

^This. Note that Versus XIII has an FMV to real-time scene ratio of 3:7 according to Nomura.

Anticipating Final Fantasy Versus XIII.
#104theofficefan99Posted 10/7/2012 6:41:08 PM
haeresisxiii posted...
DilsDileva posted...
I disagree. SE has always delivered jaw-dropping moments with FMVs (IX's Alexander, X's Sending and XIII's Eden), I'd hate for them to give that up.

^This. Note that Versus XIII has an FMV to real-time scene ratio of 3:7 according to Nomura.

Anticipating Final Fantasy Versus XIII.

I am 99.9999% sure that it was a mistranslation.

I'm sure they meant that the ratio of 3:7 was a combination of pre-rendered in-game cutscenes and pre-rendered FMV from Visual Works to real-time scenes instead of JUST FMV's. That would be way too much FMV if that was true.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#105AgitoXIIIPosted 10/7/2012 10:22:49 PM
TheBestGman2007 posted...
Disagreed, quite frankly I think it'd be stupid for FF to stop using FMV's. It's a great way to create exposotion, and relay important plot information the player could (most likely will) miss otherwise. It's different for some genres more than others, but I vastly prefer FMV cutscenes to "stand here/do nothing" in game, or "Try and listen to this important information, while we throw enemies at you... You can't hear? Oh, well. Screw your immersion."

Games like JRPG's that have a lot of information to reveal are better off going this route, whereas games like Braid or Journey are better off letting exposure to the world be you exposition.

You can do the exact same thing with regular graphics dude.
---
FINAL FANTASY XV
Please be a great game, we need you to be one.