Square Enix need to stop using FMV throughout FF games.

#51theofficefan99Posted 10/6/2012 6:33:36 PM
Wakizashi_513 posted...
TheBestGman2007 posted...
FM7(x4), you're the one who's wrong. "Japanese devs are the only ones who really still use it..."

You lost me there.

Uncharted, God of War, Gears of War, Halo, Resistance, Assassins reed, Dead Space, and Max Paine all use CG, and guess what??? Everyone of those is western.

Aside from Assassins Creed and Resistance, none of them used CGI. The graphics engine were just that damn powerful.

God of War 1 and 2.

Resistence 2 (Dunno about the first and third ones)

Halo Wars.

Don't know about Dead Space or Max Payne.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#52theofficefan99Posted 10/6/2012 6:35:03 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
FM7(x4), you're the one who's wrong. "Japanese devs are the only ones who really still use it..."

You lost me there.

Uncharted, God of War, Gears of War, Halo, Resistance, Assassins reed, Dead Space, and Max Paine all use CG, and guess what??? Everyone of those is western.

Uncharted and Gears of War don't use CGI. They have pre-rendered scenes, but that's about it. Don't know about Max Payne.

No, Uncharted 1 uses CGI.

Oh, I didn't know. Haven't played it :p

I thought it only had a CGI commercial and a few pre-rendered cutscenes using the game engine. Wasn't aware that it used CGI too :p
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#53TheBestGman2007Posted 10/6/2012 6:36:13 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
theofficefan99 posted...

You lost me there.

Uncharted and Gears of War don't use CGI. They have pre-rendered scenes, but that's about it. Don't know about Max Payne.

I thought it only had a CGI commercial and a few pre-rendered cutscenes using the game engine. Wasn't aware that it used CGI too :p

It's not frequent, but it's one of the scenes involving a helicopter towards the end. I won't spoil it for you.
---
Maybe we'd fall short. Maybe we'd never even come close. But someone, someday, would know we'd tried.- Vanille
Official Vanille of the Lightning Returns board.
#54Wakizashi_513Posted 10/6/2012 6:36:55 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
Wakizashi_513 posted...

You lost me there.

Aside from Assassins Creed and Resistance, none of them used CGI. The graphics engine were just that damn powerful.

God of War 1 and 2.

Halo Wars.

GOW 1 and 2 were for the ps2. GOW3 was for the PS3 and has the best graphics this gen imo. I've played Dead Space, it doesn't use CGI and neither does Halo except for Wars.
#55Wakizashi_513Posted 10/6/2012 6:37:51 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
theofficefan99 posted...

You lost me there.

It's not frequent, but it's one of the scenes involving a helicopter towards the end. I won't spoil it for you.

That wasn't CGI.
#56theofficefan99Posted 10/6/2012 6:41:58 PM
Wakizashi_513 posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
Wakizashi_513 posted...

You lost me there.

God of War 1 and 2.

Halo Wars.

GOW 1 and 2 were for the ps2. GOW3 was for the PS3 and has the best graphics this gen imo. I've played Dead Space, it doesn't use CGI and neither does Halo except for Wars.

Well I think the other poster was saying that the series in general has used CGI, which it has/does. And yeah, I know the GOW3 has stunning in-game visuals that it uses throughout the entire experience (though it DOES have some pre-rendered cutscenes using the in-game engine). :p Personally, though, that teaser trailer had really amazing CGI, far better than what was used in the game.
---
#57DraykonPosted 10/6/2012 6:42:35 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
Draykon posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
Excuse me? Hell no. Final Fantasy is known for its CGI. There's nothing more rewarding than seeing an amazing, jaw-dropping CGI cutscene after a difficult segment/boss or just making it that far into the game.

Really? How about an enjoyable game with great gameplay? It seems that they just string cutscenes together with a bit of gameplay. Final Fantasy used to be a video game series. It is now an interactive movie series.

Like I said a million times in this topic, you can have CGI and still have an amazing game. Or are you implying that FFXII is an interactive movie? Just because FFXIII was lacking in content, doesn't mean that all other games that use CGI do.

Chrono Cross.
Star Ocean series.
Final Fantasy (aside from XIII, I guess, since I need to opt that out for this) series.
Kingdom Hearts series
Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
Valkyrie Profile series.
Tekken series.
Rogue Galaxy.
Vagrant Story.
Resonance of Fate.
Baten Kaitos.
Onimusha series.
Assassin's Creed series.
Fire Emblem 9 and 10.
Starcraft series.
Warcraft series.
Shadow Hearts series.
Diablo series.

etc. etc.

Just because ONE game that uses CGI is lacking in content, does not mean that all other games that use CGI do as well.

Uhh...I never said ALL games are interactive movies. I said Final Fantasy used to be about gameplay, not cutscenes. XII was a great game, with great gameplay. But instead of all of those CGI cutscenes, they could have used some of those resources and that space on the disk for some sidequests. Something non-combat related, just as a change of pace? Gold Saucer, Triple Triad, Blitzball were all enjoyable pastimes within the game. Something to break up the monotony of battle. XII could have benefit from something like that.

Also, Star Ocean might be a poor example to have on your list, with Star Ocean 4 having what felt like at least a half hour opening cutscene, and probably 6 to 7 hours of cutscenes throughout the game. But since you reminded me of SO4, perhaps SE has given gameplay a backseat to cutscenes this gen. Can't say for sure, as I haven't played NIER yet.
---
"So...yeah....and stay dead." - Raven from Tales of Vesperia
(PSN: TheDraykon GT: Draykon)
#58Birth_By_SorrowPosted 10/6/2012 6:43:20 PM
Galvanization posted...
FireMage7777 posted...
For once, Gal makes sense

Thanks! :)

From what I've read, 300 people worked on FFXIII. There were 200 that worked on the game (in-game graphics, cut-scenes, scenario, battle system, music, etc) and the other 100 worked solely on the FMV.

Can you imagine how good FFXIII could have been if that 100 people working on FMV was reduced to 20 and the 80 others were added to the 200 people working on the actual game?

Except not every one of those developers are strictly in-game graphical or gameplay technicians. To make a game entails a wide array of different types of skills and jobs. There are character designers, background designers, writers, directors, those that have the capability to tinker with gameplay and those that do not. Making a movie (even CG) is not the same as creating a space where the player can interact. I doubt most if not all of those 100 people were even capable of programming true gaming mechanics.

I hate FFXIII, but I love SE's use of FMV's (when they are truly breathtaking). Maybe it's more a matter of selecting appropriate moments rather then completely wiping them away from their games.
#59FireMage7777Posted 10/6/2012 6:45:30 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
FireMage7777 posted...
incorrect information vomited from mouth

Not at ALL. You really, REALLY need to get your eyes checked. Just because a game does not have a photorealistic art style, does not mean that the CGI doesn't ROFLstomp over games like DMC4 and Uncharted. Well, they do. The CGI I have posted ROFLstomps over them. If you SERIOUSLY think that DMC4 and Uncharted have better visuals than these games' CGI, you NEED to get your eyes checked, immediately.

Seriously, LOL @ implying that Blizzard's CGI team and Visual Works don't produce CGI on par with DMC4's and Uncharted's visuals. Get glasses.

Actually yes, it does. As I said the only thing last gen or on a handheld that can compare to this gens in game engines was Oni3. You are dismissed
---
Is for some reason playing through the G.U. trilogy
#60theofficefan99Posted 10/6/2012 6:48:59 PM(edited)
Draykon posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
Draykon posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
Excuse me? Hell no. Final Fantasy is known for its CGI. There's nothing more rewarding than seeing an amazing, jaw-dropping CGI cutscene after a difficult segment/boss or just making it that far into the game.

Really? How about an enjoyable game with great gameplay? It seems that they just string cutscenes together with a bit of gameplay. Final Fantasy used to be a video game series. It is now an interactive movie series.

Like I said a million times in this topic, you can have CGI and still have an amazing game. Or are you implying that FFXII is an interactive movie? Just because FFXIII was lacking in content, doesn't mean that all other games that use CGI do.

Chrono Cross.
Star Ocean series.
Final Fantasy (aside from XIII, I guess, since I need to opt that out for this) series.
Kingdom Hearts series
Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
Valkyrie Profile series.
Tekken series.
Rogue Galaxy.
Vagrant Story.
Resonance of Fate.
Baten Kaitos.
Onimusha series.
Assassin's Creed series.
Fire Emblem 9 and 10.
Starcraft series.
Warcraft series.
Shadow Hearts series.
Diablo series.

etc. etc.

Just because ONE game that uses CGI is lacking in content, does not mean that all other games that use CGI do as well.

Uhh...I never said ALL games are interactive movies. I said Final Fantasy used to be about gameplay, not cutscenes. XII was a great game, with great gameplay. But instead of all of those CGI cutscenes, they could have used some of those resources and that space on the disk for some sidequests. Something non-combat related, just as a change of pace? Gold Saucer, Triple Triad, Blitzball were all enjoyable pastimes within the game. Something to break up the monotony of battle. XII could have benefit from something like that.

Also, Star Ocean might be a poor example to have on your list, with Star Ocean 4 having what felt like at least a half hour opening cutscene, and probably 6 to 7 hours of cutscenes throughout the game. But since you reminded me of SO4, perhaps SE has given gameplay a backseat to cutscenes this gen. Can't say for sure, as I haven't played NIER yet.

I agree, but I doubt CGI prevented it from implementing mini-games... the development team probably thought that they just wasn't necessary.

Also, even though SO4 has a ton of cutscenes, the game has a TON of content and it can take hundreds of hours to complete everything. A game can have a lot of cutscenes and a lot of content, y'know...
---