With Snow now being confirmed... I have a quick question

#81LolOkayPosted 10/12/2012 5:31:55 PM
I thought Light was the best RAV.

Learns all tier 2 spells + thundaga, and learns all elemental strikes. And she has fast casting speed.

While Snow only learns ice, water and air.
#82destrian522Posted 10/12/2012 5:54:06 PM(edited)
Element selection is essentially a non-issue in postgame. In fact, it's probably irrelevant before then, even. I don't remember it ever being an issue in Chapter 13 or Chapter 12, especially since Fang has Imperil.

Magic Snow is feasible by the time you reach Mah'habara, and is probably better off in the leader position if you play him, anyway. I don't think you need to wait until max Crystarium for him to be the best Ravager. On the other hand, you'll probably want to be using those Chapter 11 resources on better characters. Snow isn't that great until fairly extensive secondary role development is possible.
---
CWLSIV
#83FtpkornPosted 10/12/2012 5:52:16 PM
Bronze_Stuff posted...
_Snowx_ posted...
Bronze_Stuff posted...
Kit_Sakurazuka posted...
I don't hate Snow. I want to punch him in the face a lot until he sees reason and grows up a little, but he really grew on me as a character...it's hard to really dislike someone who's THAT nice.

The people who dislike him are the same people who dislike Hope because he's whiny, or Lightning because they think she's a *****. These people either stopped playing the game three or four hours in, or don't understand the concept of 'character development' at all.

Making a character act like a lunatic so you can make them "mellow" out isn't character development. It's bad writing. There shouldn't be a distinct point where I can say "such and such changed." It's like novice writers understand the concept of dynamic characters, but they do not actually have the skill or knowledge to actually execute such properly. It's absolutely maddening that people would act like simply understanding the concept of character development is enough to give a character a free pass. Not to mention, when you have a cast full of dynamic characters it screams "I can't write" more than anything else.

Your definition of "lunacy" (which is extremely inaccurate, read up on the subject) is a common defensive mechanism that many real people deploy far more often than you'd imagine.
Just because you fail to sympatize with them it doesn't mean it's "bad writing".

I didn't realize that "lunacy" was a generalized subject. Since you're such an expert, indulge me. Being emotionally distraught is not the same thing as what I've already stated. Sympathy has nothing to do with this. I can sympathize with Hope losing his mother. Hell, I could even go so far to empathize over the loss of a family member that is important to me. What I can't even begin to fathom is killing the people that failed to be able to save her/them. Just using a prime example. How about Snow? I can understand wanting to protect the person I care about. I can understand having a strong sense of justice. What I can't understand is not giving too figs about what anyone else thinks, and shouting like a jerk constantly. It's bad writing plain and simple. If the author fails to make the audience able to at least understand the absolutely mad train of thought, it's not the audience's fault. People talk about this being character driven yet I don't even know why Snow has developed into a loudmouth guy who wants to save everyone around town. That's something that would be nice to know. That's character development. You know, actually feeling like I know the characters on the adventure. Not "the character changes." If I'm not even really sure why, then it's not really much development. They just... Changed. Sure, they are by the strictest literary terms "dynamic," which implies development, but that doesn't make it effective, or well done.

Taking a "you're too stoopid" to understand mentality is the worst defense you could utilize for defense on why something isn't bad writing.

Hopes a teenager, teenagers can be irrational and emotional, mixed with his shock of seeing his mother fall off a collapsing bridge i can see this happening.
About snow, yeah, he has no excuse to be acting like a moron, he's a grown man. But this is why we were givin Noel, obviously the better character :D. Oddly enough, there are people who act as moronic as Snow irl so bad writing idk, seems realistic to me lol
---
Lightning likes to play life-sized chess in her new room.
#84Bl1xvanPosted 10/12/2012 6:05:20 PM
Ftpkorn posted...

Hopes a teenager, teenagers can be irrational and emotional, mixed with his shock of seeing his mother fall off a collapsing bridge i can see this happening.

Okay, forget about Snow for a second. Are you saying only teenagers can be irrational?
---
"In the hands of someone who's good enough at thinking outside of the box, ANYTHING can be used as a weapon."
#85FtpkornPosted 10/12/2012 6:15:46 PM(edited)
Bl1xvan posted...
Ftpkorn posted...

Okay, forget about Snow for a second. Are you saying only teenagers can be irrational?

I said 'can' be. And more often then not, a teenager is more irrational then when they become adults. They can do many silly things. I mean come on, i was a teenager once lol
If it wasn't me doing something stupid, it was another teenager at school lmao

But then again, Snow is even more irrational then Hope, which can also happen, and hes supposed to be the adult.

---
#86Bl1xvanPosted 10/12/2012 6:16:29 PM
Ftpkorn posted...
Bl1xvan posted...
Ftpkorn posted...

I said 'can' be. And more often then not, a teenager is more irrational then when they become adults. They can do many silly things. I mean come on, i was a teenager once lol

No, what I meant was, did you mean that grown ups were incapable of being irrational
---
"In the hands of someone who's good enough at thinking outside of the box, ANYTHING can be used as a weapon."
#87FtpkornPosted 10/12/2012 6:21:50 PM
Bl1xvan posted...
Ftpkorn posted...
Bl1xvan posted...
Ftpkorn posted...

No, what I meant was, did you mean that grown ups were incapable of being irrational

God no, look at the people trying to govern our countries, most if not all do something irrational lol and i basically said in my last post a teenager is more likely to be irrational then when they become adults, i never said adults are incapable. Stop being irrational. Lmao just kidding.
---
#88Bl1xvanPosted 10/12/2012 6:23:23 PM
Ftpkorn posted...
Stop being irrational.

alright, alright :P
---
#89FtpkornPosted 10/12/2012 6:25:30 PM
Bl1xvan posted...
Ftpkorn posted...
Stop being irrational.

alright, alright :P

:D
---