I've been replaying the first FFXIII (SPOILERS)

#91FtpkornPosted 10/13/2012 5:39:30 AM
chocolatesoda posted...
Galvanization posted...
chocolatesoda posted...
Galvanization posted...
chocolatesoda posted...
Except it was.

It only sold good based on the FF name. It was not universally thought to be a good game by the majority of people that played it. The huge drop in sales for FFXIII-2 is proof of that.

Well, most FFs aren't universally praised anyway; however, it was thought to be a good game by the majority of people that played it. Also, no one here is in the position to judge sales.

Seeing as FFXIII-2 sold way less than FFXIII, it safe to say not everybody enjoyed or finished the first one.

It's safe to say that with any FF for that matter.

Just forget it, this guy is a stain on humanity, as if it needed any more, he thinks a games succeses comes from the name haha. I guess spirits within and FFXIV were grand successes. While the name helps a game to be more known, it doesn't determine it's success.
---
Lightning likes to play life-sized chess in her new room.
#92Galvanization(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2012 6:00:30 AM
chocolatesoda posted...

FFX-2 sold way over half of what FFX did. FFXIII-2 sold less than half of what FFXIII did. There's a difference.
---
"JRPGs are not mainly about story. That's just a trend FF started. Look at the huge sales of Pokemon. Do people buy it for the story? No. " ~ Vex
#93FtpkornPosted 10/13/2012 6:25:05 AM
Galvanization posted...
chocolatesoda posted...

FFX-2 sold way over half of what FFX did. FFXIII-2 sold less than half of what FFXIII did. There's a difference.

You're talking updated totals from wikipedia, ffx-2 has had 8 years to build it's total sold. While ffxiii-2 has only been out for a year or close to. It's the same deal with 'ffvii has sold 15 million copies' yeah, and how many re-releases has it gotten?
Ffxiii-2 has reached over 3million.

Though FFX was a better game sure atleast imo.

But anyway, silence mortal.
---
Lightning likes to play life-sized chess in her new room.
#94King_Shortt_IXPosted 10/13/2012 7:26:51 AM(edited)
Give me XII's handling of characters anyday of the week over XIII's. I will take subtle and subdued over unnecessary over the top melodrama that does very little to endear.
---
The contents of this post may not reflect the views of the poster.
#95theofficefan99Posted 10/13/2012 8:28:50 AM
Galvanization posted...
Wakizashi_513 posted...
According to Galv little personality and character development makes you realistic so I agree, FFXII had indeed the most realistic cast in the series.

Indeed. How often do you see people in real-life having loads of melodrama and character development when going on an epic journey? You don't. FFXII follows a real-life approach. There's more a focus on the main plot and world rather than the thoughts and feelings of the characters. Anyway, this debate is been done to death. FFXII is a 6 year old game. Nothing people will say will change somebody else's opinion of the game at this point.

I tried to see if I could change my opinion of FFXIII, but other than the great art direction and graphics, everything else is awful.

This post reeks of stupidity. YES, some scenes in XIII were way too over-the-top and melodramatic. Lightning's revelation in Chapter 7 comes to mind. HOWEVER, you REALLY think that there would be no drama or character development on an epic journey? Why not? That's simply ridiculous. You'll be going through quite a bit, and pretty much all the time, this journey is the hardest thing that the characters have had to go through, so of course whining and reflecting back on happier days and whatnot is expected.

The problem with XII is that the characters are far too theatrical. I really don't think they're "subtle." They're just lacking in depth and if you think they're deep characters, then you're just finding things that really aren't there. They're underdeveloped and lacking real personalities. Period. They barely even interact with one-another, and I'm sure there are a few characters who never talk to each other or acknowledge one-another (though I'd have to replay it again to provide the specifics). Notice how during the ending of Final Fantasy XII Ashe never even mentioned Fran while both Balthier and her were still inside the Bahamut? Even then, when I first witnessed the ending, I was wondering why Ashe cared about Balthier so much anyways. They barely talked, and when they did, it was a cold, soulless conversation.

I'm not asking for melodrama. I'm not asking for in-your-face, childish character development. I'm asking for deep, believable characters.

Now, Final Fantasy XIII may suffer from very meh dialogue for at least the majority of the 2nd half of the game, but the characters, at the very least, interact with one-another quite a bit, they argue, they make up, and they react believably to some situations quite a few times. Yes, the dialogue isn't amazing, but the cast is still leagues ahead of XII.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#96Galvanization(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2012 9:22:35 AM
King_Shortt_IX posted...
Give me XII's handling of characters anyday of the week over XIII's. I will take subtle and subdued over unnecessary over the top melodrama that does very little to endear.

Exactly.
---
"JRPGs are not mainly about story. That's just a trend FF started. Look at the huge sales of Pokemon. Do people buy it for the story? No. " ~ Vex