Do you need to be able to relate to a character to like him/her?

#1DilsDilevaPosted 10/12/2012 2:11:23 PM
CHILD SPEAK THE TRUTH - Results (77 votes)
Yes, that's what makes a good character (duh)
7.79% (6 votes)
No, just as long as s/he's well written
92.21% (71 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Topic. I remember someone saying s/he didn't like Lightning because she wasn't relateable. Is that an important quality?
---
H/W
#2VekkererPosted 10/12/2012 2:14:04 PM(edited)
There are plenty of really unrelateable and dickish characters that I've really enjoyed throughout my years of gaming. It really depends on how they're written.

In the case of Lightning, she fails because she's all things. Unlikeable, unrelateable and poorly written.
---
"And you have proved to be
A real human being and a real hero..."
#3King_Shortt_IXPosted 10/12/2012 2:14:55 PM
No. It is nice when they are, but not necessary.
---
The contents of this post may not reflect the views of the poster.
#4DragoonGriffithPosted 10/12/2012 2:16:01 PM
Vekkerer posted...
There are plenty of really unrelateable and dickish characters that I've really enjoyed throughout my years of gaming. It really depends on how they're written.

Pretty much this.
---
Currently playing: Tales of Vesperia (PS3), Graces f, Wild ARMs 2, Ys: The Oath in Felghana.
#5gjvaquinoPosted 10/12/2012 2:16:41 PM
Depends if its a human character, if it is then i would say that you should be able to relate to it in one way or another. It is impossible to not be able to relate completely to another human being. We just relate more to others in terms of experiences and interests compared to other. Thats my 2 cents on that.
---
Sneer
Plunge into the chasms of time. - Jihl Nabaat
#6Lord_FishyStickPosted 10/12/2012 2:22:42 PM
Vekkerer posted...

In the case of Lightning, she fails because she's all things. Unlikeable, unrelateable and poorly written.

^ What that gentleman/lady said.
#7Kagayaku08Posted 10/12/2012 2:32:54 PM(edited)
i figure that is relative to the person. Ultimately, light was a person who initially carried the world on her shoulders and didn't let people in. Eventually, she learned to open up and rely on others.

I don't see how people can't relate to that.

regardless, this magical human ability known as empathy lets people relate to others regardless of situations through simple understanding. This renders if a character is able to be related to a moot misdirection.
---
~When everything's made to be broken, i don't give a damn if you know who I am~
#8VersusCancelledPosted 10/12/2012 2:53:46 PM
Everyone likes FF7 Cid, but nobody is actually anything like FF7 Cid. Most people here are baby boys barely in high school.
#9Tobi011Posted 10/12/2012 3:23:56 PM
Everyone likes FF7 Cid, but nobody is actually anything like FF7 Cid. Most people here are baby boys barely in high school.

Well this is one way to say it...
#10DemonPathRevyaPosted 10/12/2012 3:35:16 PM
Vekkerer posted...

Couldn't have said it better myself.
---
"Not on my watch Monsieur Napolean Bonerhard!!!" -Tink
+The Few, The Proud, The Vaan Fans+