Final Fantasy XIII or Final Fantasy XIII-2?

#1XyphasPosted 10/29/2012 7:24:48 PM
Which game did you like better? - Results (110 votes)
Final Fantasy XIII
60% (66 votes)
Final Fantasy XIII-2
26.36% (29 votes)
Niether
13.64% (15 votes)
This poll is now closed.
One vote per IP! I am curious to see how this one turns out.

Personally, I think the original FF XIII was better. I mean if you compare it with each individual category, FF XIII was better than its sequel in "almost" everyway:

Story-FF XIII
As convoluted as it is, it makes more sense than its sequels "Time Paradox" excuse it throws at you every couple minutes. The characters were also better in the original with Sahz being arguably the best performance of the entire series before chapter 11. Noel however is a good character in his own right and outshines the annoyingly cliché Serah( Though we never expected her to be more interesting than her overly-advertised sister now did we?). FF XIII just had a lot more going on, and just seemed so much bigger than its sequel, in fact, FF XIII has one of the better stories in the series if you look at it from a pacing stand point. The writing is not THAT bad either. Its no FF IX, but it has just as many cheesy lines as FF X. I felt like most final fantasy's, it stays interesting enough until the very end, where most Final Fantasy's (or RPG's in general) become overly complex and lose their way a bit.

Battle System--FF XIII
Hold on, the sequel added a wealth of improvements right? Well I think a lot of the improvements made to FF XIII-2 were overshadowed by the fact that it was TOO EASY. All the tension that was in the first games combat is utterly lost as soon as the game begins. The leveling system makes it very easy to have over-powered characters. The fact that you can now switch between members in combat means that you will rarely die in the game. Don't get me wrong, the design of FF XIII-2 battle system is better , but jus poorly executed. The lack on concrete difficulty, makes me not even care about my equipment, or training my monsters to God-Like Tier, because there isn't really anything that warrants those type of stats or preparation in the game.

Music: FF XIII gets the edge for having one of the best battle themes in the series. FF XIII-2 has some annoying tracks.

Graphics: FF XIII
No contest there, FF XIII blows pretty much any other JRPG out of the water when it comes to graphics.

After playing through FF XIII three years later, its easier to except what is was trying to accomplish. It is by no means the best Final Fantasy imo, but it wasn't all bad. Thoughts?
---
LBP2 Psn ID: Xyphas
LBP2 Current Projects: Chrono Chrysalis[RPG] Currently Playing: Xenogears, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Soul Calibur V, ME2, and FF V-VI
#2theofficefan99Posted 10/29/2012 7:42:27 PM
XIII is easily better in every single way aside from variety and breathing room.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#3DragoonGriffithPosted 10/29/2012 7:43:12 PM
What officefan said.
---
Currently playing: Ys Origin, FFX, Vesperia.
#4Tobi011Posted 10/29/2012 7:43:37 PM
FFXIII. It's where it began. XIII-2 should of stayed with the F'cle stuff.
#5TorgoForeverPosted 10/29/2012 7:49:50 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
XIII is easily better in every single way aside from variety and breathing room.

Yes
---
Never buy a cosplay without giving your actual dimensions. My Rinnosuke came in too large. :\
oFFiciAL ToRgO and tOMmy wiSEaU oF tHE qUIttinG RETurneRS
#6FtpkornPosted 10/29/2012 7:59:37 PM
Paradox's are pretty common in a one time line theory, and it actually worked out really well, i enjoyed xiii-2 more over xiii personally.

If there was such a thing as alternate timelines in xiii-2 like chrono trigger then it wouldn't make sense.
---
Lightning Farron Warrior Goddess' true #1 Fan
HAHAHAHAHA KNEEL DOWN BEFORE ME!!!
#7King_Shortt_IXPosted 10/29/2012 8:14:07 PM(edited)
XIII-2.

XIII was rather too restrictive for most of the game, so I liked how XIII-2 opened things up right from the start. Storylines are pretty much even, I would say XIII's was decent until it imploded on itself in the last chapters and reached new lows of crap, XIII-2's was not good but never reached that point that made me slap my head and laugh like XII didI. Gameplay goes to XIII-2, and characters and music goes to XIII-2.
---
The contents of this post may not reflect the views of the poster.
#8rokkumanPosted 10/29/2012 8:12:32 PM
XIII

XIII-2 should have never been made in the first place.
---
"Ninja Gaiden: So hard that it kills your friends" - Penny Arcade
#9FireMage7777Posted 10/29/2012 8:42:20 PM
Well, my faith is partially restored in this board
---
Megaman 2 Turret boss...easiest boss ever
#10DaGreatOnelolPosted 10/29/2012 8:44:08 PM
XIII. Most epically win. Gogogogogo.
---
"Damn right and I'll do it again. I am right so I gotz to win" - DMX