I like FFXIII

#1DragoonGriffithPosted 11/14/2012 5:34:05 PM
Ok, so now that most of the major nuisances (a.k.a. people who literally hate for no other reason, but just because) are asleep, I thought it would be a nice idea to make a topic and say some good things about XIII's story and characters.

I like the characters for the most part, and how each and everyone of them develops throughout the game. Fang kinda got the short stick in that regard, but she makes up with being one of the more level headed characters in the game and a female dragoon badass (shut up, I'm biased).
Not to mention a fantastic character as far as usage in battles post-game goes.

Lightning is a special case, since I honestly think that all of her potential as a character will come to blossom in LR.
In XIII we didn't learn much about her past and they could've used a more blunt approach with showing off her character development, BUT as I said...LR can and should fix that.

The story is ok, and whether you love it or hate it, it is one of the more interesting ones as far as mythology and overall conflicts are concerned.

If the Snow/Hope arc of the game was better done, and if the ending didn't feel (I repeat: "feel", because they could've done a better job explaining it back then) like an ass pull, XIII would have a very solid story.

Gameplay I won't touch, because everyone's been over that 100x and it's redundant to talk about something where everyone can see what it's flaws are.

Now try to praise the game a little, and say something you actually like about it, damn it.
---
Shin Megami Tensei, II, if..., III: Nocturne, Strange Journey.
Playing mainline SMT in order.
#2chocolatesodaPosted 11/14/2012 5:37:08 PM
Now, you must confess your love for Lord Toriyama. ^_^
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmZ0XthctSI
#3Wakizashi_513Posted 11/14/2012 5:41:22 PM
What do you mean by blunt approach?

Anyway I agree with everything that you say except Fang isn't my favorite, but I do somewhat like her.
#4InnerscopePosted 11/14/2012 5:41:22 PM
*Attempts to send topic link via PM to haters*

"There is a word over 80 characters long."

Me: $&^%
---
/boards/681990-lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii
This board cant go ONE frickin day without argueing or trolling to save its life. - Dinosaur_F4rt
#5CranberryTacoPosted 11/14/2012 5:44:42 PM
It was too linear but i enjoyed it for these reasons:

- The conspiracy fake religion plot by Space Pope
- The Sazh and The Fang were my favs, others were ok but not as good.
- The graphics were beyond my expectations.
- The monsters were nicely designed.
- cant think of another one.

I didnt mind FF XIII-2 either but the marketing where we thought we could have new Lightning as a party player was a dirty trick of SE to lure the gamers.

I liked Hope too. Just for the fact he was a lead scientist and accomplished a lot with his team. (also with the aid of Serah n Noel).

Im done.
---
Slick, Talented and a Musician/DJ (No bookings until Xmass).http://www.memorylast.net/content/graphics/animated-gifs/taco.gif Final Fantasy
#6King_Shortt_IXPosted 11/14/2012 5:48:42 PM(edited)
Now try to praise the game a little, and say something you actually like about it, damn it.

I will try....

I liked Sazh's character and his story in XIII.
Space Pope was an alright villain.
Team Nora was interesting/
---
The contents of this post may not reflect the views of the poster.
#7Tobi011Posted 11/14/2012 5:45:49 PM
Nice to see someone giving their opinion about XIII in a honest way. Anyways if you had to give XII score what would you give it?
#8JaylesseePosted 11/14/2012 5:47:29 PM
But they can just see this stuff the next day.
---
Project Crystallis: Follow Us At- https://twitter.com/PCrystallis
Once I Get Up, I Will Rock. Never Stop.
#9CranberryTacoPosted 11/14/2012 5:53:22 PM
Tobi011 posted...
Nice to see someone giving their opinion about XIII in a honest way. Anyways if you had to give XII score what would you give it?

8/10 for FF 12

I dont give a hooping funt if people bash me for it. I also liked FF 9 which i think was underrated.
---
Slick, Talented and a Musician/DJ (No bookings until Xmass).http://www.memorylast.net/content/graphics/animated-gifs/taco.gif Final Fantasy
#10DragoonGriffith(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2012 5:53:36 PM
Wakizashi_513 posted...
What do you mean by blunt approach?

I mean that Lightning's change in personality needed another push.
She definitely wasn't the same person later on personalitywise, but I think that more than anything I just needed something to make me care more about her.

Whether that "something" occured during the game or as I've mentioned backstory, is entirely up to the writers.
Having Serah as the sole reason and driving force wasn't enough IMO.

Though, the highlight of her character interaction was probably with Hope most of all.
Those parts I've liked.

Later on with Snow too.

Ah well, the problem really is that FFXIII didn't leave much choice when it comes to interaction with NPCs, which I know is because of the storytelling, but they could've added something like that one optional scene in FFX where Tidus saves that little girl in Kilika.
---
Shin Megami Tensei, II, if..., III: Nocturne, Strange Journey.
Playing mainline SMT in order.