Do you think Kingdom Hearts ruined Final Fantasy?

#91kupo1705Posted 11/18/2012 10:56:14 AM
BuddhHA0991 posted...
kupo1705 posted...

There should be a game where you make contracts with highschool girls by seducing them.

I am quite sure Japan has something like that.

Probably.
#92DragoonGriffithPosted 11/18/2012 10:57:14 AM(edited)
EDIT: Ninja'd
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBEvtA4Uuwk
So much nostalgia already...
#93theofficefan99Posted 11/18/2012 10:57:05 AM
BuddhHA0991 posted...
theofficefan99 posted...

Yes, I am. One of the reasons as to why FFVII was so revolutionary was because of its CGI cinematics.

This is so wrong, on so many levels.

I think I FireMage should see this, that would be hilarious.

No, it isn't, at all. Here's an example.

http://snackedup.com/2012/09/07/final-fantasy-7-retrospective/

"So if I had to explain FF7’s popularity in one sentence, the obvious answer would be ‘Full-Motion Video’[1]. Any gamer who lived through 1997 should be able to remember the 100 million dollar ad-campaign for Final Fantasy 7 – composed almost entirely of the game’s cinematic cutscenes; polygonal men with jilted animation swinging swords, riding motorbikes and just generally being cool. As easy as it is to look back on it and laugh, it’s also easy to forget that, at the time, this was the hottest of all hot ****. Final Fantasy 7 wasn’t the first game to feature FMV technology (that honour goes to Nintendo’s Wild Gunman, a whole 23 years earlier), or even the first to be recognised for it (although admittedly, Night Trap, Dragon’s Lair and Sewer Shark were absolute ****), but it did introduce a Hollywood sensibility to experiences that had previously been riding high on the crest of utter cheese. FF7’s cutscenes were overwhelmingly expensive, and it showed through in the quality; they were state-of-the-art for the time. Many players simply took it upon themselves to barrel through the narrative, in order to get to the next bit of gorgeous eye-candy as quickly as possible. I have no doubt in my mind that a large degree of FF7’s – and even the Playstation’s – popularity came from the game’s pre-rendered sequences. The general mindset was that the game was essentially a fifty-hour long movie. Value for money, right?"

And here:

"
Upon release, the game received widespread acclaim from critics. It was referred to by GameFan as "quite possibly the greatest game ever made," a quote which continues to feature prominently on the back cover of the game's jewel case.[94] GameSpot commented that "never before have technology, playability, and narrative combined as well as in Final Fantasy VII," expressing particular favor toward the game's graphics, audio, and story.[6] IGN's Jay Boor insisted the game's graphics were "light years beyond anything ever seen on the PlayStation," and regarded its battle system as its strongest point.[8] RPGamer praised the game's soundtrack both in variety and sheer volume, stating that "Uematsu has done his work exceptionally well" and "is perhaps at his best here."[95]"

FFVII was also praised for its visuals.

CGI has been put to good use, and there's a reason as to why CGI was so insanely popular during the PS1 era; it's because they improved how stories were told in games, and that's a very true statement.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#94theofficefan99Posted 11/18/2012 10:58:29 AM
Yes, they did.
Which again, is a bad thing.

Well thanks for actually agreeing with my point.

I'm fine with you being one of the "interactive storytelling is better" gamers, though I personally disagree. I love me some cutscenes to break up the action.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#95BuddhHA0991Posted 11/18/2012 10:58:37 AM
Showing a pretty scene = improving storytelling.

I give up.
---
Vote for Pedro!
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8w02jm4iW1qk39rbo1_500.gif
#96theofficefan99Posted 11/18/2012 11:00:42 AM
BuddhHA0991 posted...
Showing a pretty scene = improving storytelling.

I give up.

Go ahead and give up, I couldn't care less. You made a random statement that had nothing to do with anything, and it was quite funny, considering that the series you are defending whilst trashing the series of the board you're on also contains many games that use CGI and anime cutscenes for their stories.
---
#97kupo1705Posted 11/18/2012 11:06:02 AM
theofficefan99 posted...
Yes, they did.
Which again, is a bad thing.

Well thanks for actually agreeing with my point.

I'm fine with you being one of the "interactive storytelling is better" gamers, though I personally disagree. I love me some cutscenes to break up the action.

I don't mind an opening and ending cutscene. That actually helps the game.
But for everything else I prefer telling a story through gameplay.
While in FF that's not entirely possible, the 'cutscenes' from I-IX were a good way to do it.
#98takethathuskerPosted 11/18/2012 11:07:07 AM
Come on, overblown histrionics like "Final Fantasy is RUINED FOREVER!!" is why I stopped playing the series to begin with. There are clearly still people who like the games, so it's not ruined, just ruined for personal experience. As for me, the merger is what killed my interest in the company, it just so happens that KH came out right before the merger.
#99AldathPosted 11/18/2012 11:49:35 AM
Ok, I stopped laughing out loud no, so I can post my comment...

BOTH Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts USED to be good games. They ruined themselves.

What is the difference?

1.- Kingdom Hearts started out with a very interesting, unique story that made even Disney characters appealing to a mature public, and the gameplay was just what made it the best ARPG back then. BUT after 3s8/2 Days and BBS were launched, one could notice SE was taking the same strategy Shonen's Jump takes: making their characters and plots gaming prostitutes, hyper extending the story, filling it with useless gaps, prequels and spiritual sequels, just to appeal to hikkikomoris and otakus. The game still has a good gameplay, nonethless.

2- Final Fantasy, same story as above, BUT take the good gameplay out ;)

Saying KH ruined FF would be like saying Pokémon Ruined Nobunaga's Ambition, or Sonic ruined Mario... tough it seems when a popular SE characters shows up in KH, it's doomed to be ruined because they are already planning to over explote them.
---
"imagine if Metallica got together with the Power Rangers and the coolest kids in school and had a party in your mouth, and you were invited" THE_WIND